User Tag List

Thread: Talk about some good speakers and sound cards

Default Talk about some good speakers and sound cards

I've opened this thread to make it a speaker/sound card discussion thread. Here goes my questions -

1. Which is the best 2:1 speaker ~2,500 or so ? Is Microlab still unbeatable here ?

2. How's the Creative Inspire T6200 ? It maybe priced around 6~6.5k though dunno much. T6160 remains around 5.7k all the time.

3. How's the ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 @ 10k maybe ? I heard it's good, though it has some incompatibility AFAIK, heard from the reviews. Mazhar vai (also hiei-warrior vai) is using this with Shure SRH-440.

4. How's the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium @ 7k ? Saw this in C-News, they didn't published anything more, could it be Fatality or Xtreme or something other ?

Creative link - http://asia.creative.com/products/pr...=17927&listby=

Post your questions here.

---------- Post added at 23:26 ---------- Previous post was at 17:36 ----------

Still no answer ? No one interested except guys like Mazhar vai and Ranjan vai (dramaviewer) ?

• Mazhar's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • building
      • CPU:
      • the
      • RAM:
      • new
      • Hard Drive:
      • pc
      • Graphics Card:
      • in
      • Display:
      • a
      • Sound Card:
      • month
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Sennheiser HD650/Shure SRH-840
      • Keyboard:
      • Sidewinder X4
      • Mouse:
      • Logitech G300
      • Controller:
      • Xbox 360 Controller
      • Power Supply:
      • Corsair AX750
      • Optical Drive:
      • Sony 20X DVD-RW
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium
      • ISP:
      • Talktalk Fiber
      • Download Speed:
      • Upload Speed:

Default Re: Talk about some good speakers and sound cards

I thought the DX is around 5k? It does not have any incompatibility, to be honest. And no, I use something else now, I sold that headphone and sound card quite sometime back.

General rule is to get the X-Fi based cards for gaming, Xonar for music. Xonar emulates X-Fi based effects through software, hence i puts a slight load on the CPU. Thats about it..

Sound cards wont really benefit you unless you have good speakers/headphones. Try getting them first, then invest in a soundcard, IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Mazhar View Post
    I thought the DX is around 5k? It does not have any incompatibility, to be honest. And no, I use something else now, I sold that headphone and sound card quite sometime back.
    No, Xonar DX was always around 10k. And, I've done a quick search but couldn't find what I wanted. I saw previously in a review that, the Xonar DX has problem with Thief: Deadly Shadows, and the reviewer couldn't play the game using this card, he was disappointed in this fact. That's what all I can remember now.

And, what u use now ? I checked your profile, but still there are Xonar DX and Shure 440.

General rule is to get the X-Fi based cards for gaming, Xonar for music. Xonar emulates X-Fi based effects through software, hence i puts a slight load on the CPU. Thats about it.
    Hmm... got it now. Me too saw that the Creative X-Fi performs overally better than Xonar DX in game benchmarks.

Sound cards wont really benefit you unless you have good speakers/headphones. Try getting them first, then invest in a soundcard, IMO
    Creative Inspire T6200 isn't a good speaker ? I can't afford 7:1 speakers, but I can invest a decent amount of money in a 5:1. The T6200 is around 6~6.5k maybe. At max, I can invest up to 10k in speakers.

As headphones, I'm thinking of getting the Creative Auravana DJ for it's price, it's one of the most pricey headphone in BD market. Auravana DJ is 7.8k and Fatality Gaming (how's this one ?) is 4k, C-News didn't published which one, should be one of these -

http://asia.creative.com/products/pr...=16337&listby=

http://asia.creative.com/products/pr...=17806&listby=

But, SourceEdge (importer of Creative) only publishes the picture of the second one, which is equipped with USB cable (creative says, it has X-Fi tech too, which is missing in the first one).
    Last edited by Leaving BG; April 30th, 2010 at 12:27.

• Mazhar's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • building
      • CPU:
      • the
      • RAM:
      • new
      • Hard Drive:
      • pc
      • Graphics Card:
      • in
      • Display:
      • a
      • Sound Card:
      • month
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Keyboard:
      • Sidewinder X4
      • Mouse:
      • Logitech G300
      • Controller:
      • Xbox 360 Controller
      • Power Supply:
      • Corsair AX750
      • Optical Drive:
      • Sony 20X DVD-RW
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium
      • ISP:
      • Talktalk Fiber
      • Download Speed:
      • Upload Speed:

Quote Originally Posted by Rion a.k.a. রিয়ন View Post
    No, Xonar DX was always around 10k. And, I've done a quick search but couldn't find what I wanted. I saw previously in a review that, the Xonar DX has problem with Thief: Deadly Shadows, and the reviewer couldn't play the game using this card, he was disappointed in this fact. That's what all I can remember now.

Creative Inspire T6200 isn't a good speaker ? I can't afford 7:1 speakers, but I can invest a decent amount of money in a 5:1. The T6200 is around 6~6.5k maybe. At max, I can invest up to 10k in speakers.

As headphones, I'm thinking of getting the Creative Auravana DJ for it's price, it's one of the most pricey headphone in BD market. Auravana DJ is 7.8k and Fatality Gaming (how's this one ?) is 4k, C-News didn't published which one, should be one of these -

But, SourceEdge (importer of Creative) only publishes the picture of the second one, which is equipped with USB cable (creative says, it has X-Fi tech too, which is missing in the first one).
    Really, DX was 10K ? Are you 100% sure? I sold mine for 4k I think, because apparently the market price was 5.5k. Confirm this for me please..

Aurvana DJ is a good headphone, but i prefer the Aurvana Live by far. Too bad that one is not imported. Forget the Fatality, and X-Fi tech. Its only marketing gimmick

T6200, well, what are you going to use it for? For gaming, im sure it will be great. For music, I dont really know. For music, Id suggest getting a 2.1 speaker setup, an Altec lansing VS4121 maybe..

Ill post what I use in a couple of days, I havent updated my profile yet

Really, DX was 10K ? Are you 100% sure? I sold mine for 4k I think, because apparently the market price was 5.5k. Confirm this for me please..

Aurvana DJ is a good headphone, but i prefer the Aurvana Live by far. Too bad that one is not imported. Forget the Fatality, and X-Fi tech. Its only marketing gimmick

T6200, well, what are you going to use it for? For gaming, im sure it will be great. For music, I dont really know. For music, Id suggest getting a 2.1 speaker setup, an Altec lansing VS4121 maybe.
    C-News is mostly accurate. Here are their prices of Jan/Feb/Mar 2010 (I writing the same as what they've written) -

Jan/Feb/Mar 2k10: ASUS XONAR HDAV13 HDMI 1.3 AUDIO/VIDEO COMBO PCI-E @ 5.5k
    ASUS XONAR DX/XD 7.1 PCI-E @ 12k

All in their jan/feb/mar edition they've written the first one 5.5k, and the 2nd one 12k.

So, u'r saying to avoid the Fatality Gaming. And to get the Auravana DJ. I'll use it mainly for gaming, though I listen to music regularly.

Yeah, I'm gonna use T6200 for mainly gaming. And, music is my 2nd priority.

EDIT: what is/are the difference(s) between these two XONAR's ? :S
    Last edited by Leaving BG; May 1st, 2010 at 15:07.

• avas911's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-EG41MF-US2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Pentium Dual Core E6500 2.9 GHz 2MB L2 1066MHz FSB
      • RAM:
      • 2x2GB 800 MHz Apecer at 5-5-5-15
      • Hard Drive:
      • OCZ Vertex 3 120GB Sata III & Samsung 103SJ 1 TB F3
      • Graphics Card:
      • Sapphire ATI RADEON HD6850 1GB GDDR5
      • Display:
      • Philips 107S7 17" at [email protected]
      • Sound Card:
      • Built In Realtek ALC883
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Creative SBS A200 / Cosonic Generic / Logitech Ultimate Ears 200vi/SoundMAGIC E10M IEM
      • Keyboard:
      • A4Tech
      • Mouse:
      • A4Tech X7 XL-747H 3600 DPI
      • Controller:
      • None
      • Power Supply:
      • Delta GPS-500AB A 500W
      • Optical Drive:
      • Asus 16x IDE DVD R
      • USB Devices:
      • Transcend 500 8GB & Corsair Survivor USB 3.0 16GB & Samsung Class 10 16GB mSDHC
      • UPS:
      • Rahimafrooz 600VA Premium
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 Ultimate 64Bit
      • Comment:
      • Slow in gaming
      • ISP:
      • Link3 512
      • Download Speed:
      • Upload Speed:

C-News is mostly accurate. Here are their prices of Jan/Feb/Mar 2010 (I writing the same as what they've written) -

Where was this?????in cnews...i think they got it wrong....way wrong...see this to be sure...hdav13 was over 12k always....:S

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829132008

• Mazhar's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • building
      • CPU:
      • the
      • RAM:
      • new
      • Hard Drive:
      • pc
      • Graphics Card:
      • in
      • Display:
      • a
      • Sound Card:
      • month
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Keyboard:
      • Sidewinder X4
      • Mouse:
      • Logitech G300
      • Controller:
      • Xbox 360 Controller
      • Power Supply:
      • Corsair AX750
      • Optical Drive:
      • Sony 20X DVD-RW
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium
      • ISP:
      • Talktalk Fiber
      • Download Speed:
      • Upload Speed:

All in their jan/feb/mar edition they've written the first one 5.5k, and the 2nd one 12k.

So, u'r saying to avoid the Fatality Gaming. And to get the Auravana DJ. I'll use it mainly for gaming, though I listen to music regularly.

Yeah, I'm gonna use T6200 for mainly gaming. And, music is my 2nd priority.

EDIT: what is/are the difference(s) between these two XONAR's ? :S
    They misquoted the prices. The Xonar HDAV should be 12K, and the DX 5.5k.

The HDAV 1.3 is a media center / HTPC card. That can be connected to decode audio in the sound card and then output 5.1 channel audio to recievers through analog ports, hdmi ports etc. It also has many other functions, no point writing them here just read up on the card..

If you want to get the Aurvana DJ, you will notice an improvement with a better sound card. With the T6200, not so much.

Good luck

They misquoted the prices. The Xonar HDAV should be 12K, and the DX 5.5k.

The HDAV 1.3 is a media center / HTPC card. That can be connected to decode audio in the sound card and then output 5.1 channel audio to recievers through analog ports, hdmi ports etc. It also has many other functions, no point writing them here just read up on the card..

If you want to get the Aurvana DJ, you will notice an improvement with a better sound card. With the T6200, not so much.

Good luck
    So, how's the HDAV ? A bit more detailed info would be helpful. And, do I need it ? And which kind of people use this card ? :S Maybe I'm questioning in a n00b's style. :S

And, (The bold line) I'll get noticeable improvement if I use better sound card ? Better, but comparing to which one ?

And, Xonar DX is 5.5k, where Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium is around 7k. So, I will get the X-Fi Titanium (as gaming is my first priority).
    Last edited by Leaving BG; May 2nd, 2010 at 00:02.

• Mazhar's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • building
      • CPU:
      • the
      • RAM:
      • new
      • Hard Drive:
      • pc
      • Graphics Card:
      • in
      • Display:
      • a
      • Sound Card:
      • month
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Keyboard:
      • Sidewinder X4
      • Mouse:
      • Logitech G300
      • Controller:
      • Xbox 360 Controller
      • Power Supply:
      • Corsair AX750
      • Optical Drive:
      • Sony 20X DVD-RW
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium
      • ISP:
      • Talktalk Fiber
      • Download Speed:
      • Upload Speed:

So, how's the HDAV ? A bit more detailed info would be helpful. And, do I need it ? And which kind of people use this card ? :S Maybe I'm questioning in a n00b's style. :S

And, (The bold line) I'll get noticeable improvement if I use better sound card ? Better, but comparing to which one ?

And, Xonar DX is 5.5k, where Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium is around 7k. So, I will get the X-Fi Titanium (as gaming is my first priority).
    Get the HDAV only if you have a proper home theatre system + you use a HTPC as the media player, in which case you can connect the receiver and speakers to the HDAV. It also allows audio pass through HMDI, along with many other features.

About the X-Fi vs Xonar, you wont go wrong with either one. Seriously, I doubt you will notice any difference between the two in music or gaming. Get the X-Fi for your peace of mind, no problem..

As to the difference being noticeable, games will certainly benefit from better positional audio as well as some added effects (by both cards, remember the xonar only processes it through software)

In regard to music, well, well, that depends on how critically you listen to music. Also, the good headphones usually require a decent amount of volts through the 3.5mm port due to their high impedance and lack of built in amplifier, and the added volts provided by the sound card would allow you to drive the headphones the way they were meant to be driven, giving you a more controlled sonic balance. Hence you find headphone amplifiers (not required by that headphone though), speaker amplifiers are available too but that is only for non-amplified speakers.

Wanted to give u repu, but first I reputed your 2nd post, and when I came to repu this one, Forum said, "Your need to spread some reputation". BTW, I'll give u later.

Get the HDAV only if you have a proper home theatre system + you use a HTPC as the media player, in which case you can connect the receiver and speakers to the HDAV. It also allows audio pass through HMDI, along with many other features.
    No, I don't have a home theatre system. So, I won't get it.

About the X-Fi vs Xonar, you wont go wrong with either one. Seriously, I doubt you will notice any difference between the two in music or gaming. Get the X-Fi for your peace of mind, no problem.

As to the difference being noticeable, games will certainly benefit from better positional audio as well as some added effects (by both cards, remember the xonar only processes it through software)
    About peace of mind, ...I'm not a fanboy of any brand. Plus, I saw the Titanum to give better results in games, and once I saw about the Thief problem, also I knew that it's price was 3k higher (I though it's 10K), that's why I kinda started to dislike the Xonar, before hearing some good words about the compatibility thing of Xonar. BTW, I'll get the X-Fi Titanium then.

In regard to music, well, well, that depends on how critically you listen to music. Also, the good headphones usually require a decent amount of volts through the 3.5mm port due to their high impedance and lack of built in amplifier, and the added volts provided by the sound card would allow you to drive the headphones the way they were meant to be driven, giving you a more controlled sonic balance. Hence you find headphone amplifiers (not required by that headphone though), speaker amplifiers are available too but that is only for non-amplified speakers.
    OK, then I'll get either the Auravana DJ or the Fatality Gaming.

Thanks for your support.

• Mazhar's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • building
      • CPU:
      • the
      • RAM:
      • new
      • Hard Drive:
      • pc
      • Graphics Card:
      • in
      • Display:
      • a
      • Sound Card:
      • month
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Keyboard:
      • Sidewinder X4
      • Mouse:
      • Logitech G300
      • Controller:
      • Xbox 360 Controller
      • Power Supply:
      • Corsair AX750
      • Optical Drive:
      • Sony 20X DVD-RW
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium
      • ISP:
      • Talktalk Fiber
      • Download Speed:
      • Upload Speed:

Np..

By peace of mind, I didnt try to say youre a fanboy. What I meant was, even though you probably wont notice any difference between the Xonar and the X-Fi in games, since its mentioned in reviews that x-fi is better for games, in your mindset you think that is a better performing card while gaming, hence it gives you a peace of mind.

Enjoy your stuff

Np..

By peace of mind, I didnt try to say youre a fanboy. What I meant was, even though you probably wont notice any difference between the Xonar and the X-Fi in games, since its mentioned in reviews that x-fi is better for games, in your mindset you think that is a better performing card while gaming, hence it gives you a peace of mind.

Enjoy your stuff
    I got what u meant earlier. I was kinda joking.

Thanks 2 u. Still can't give u repu for that post.

OT::

Also, the good headphones usually require a decent amount of volts through the 3.5mm port due to their high impedance and lack of built in amplifier, and the added volts provided by the sound card would allow you to drive the headphones the way they were meant to be driven, giving you a more controlled sonic balance.
    what is the impedance of a headset exactly means and how it works ..... ??? im totally novice with this term ... :blush:

• Mazhar's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • building
      • CPU:
      • the
      • RAM:
      • new
      • Hard Drive:
      • pc
      • Graphics Card:
      • in
      • Display:
      • a
      • Sound Card:
      • month
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Keyboard:
      • Sidewinder X4
      • Mouse:
      • Logitech G300
      • Controller:
      • Xbox 360 Controller
      • Power Supply:
      • Corsair AX750
      • Optical Drive:
      • Sony 20X DVD-RW
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium
      • ISP:
      • Talktalk Fiber
      • Download Speed:
      • Upload Speed:

Quote Originally Posted by mahfuzislam_89 View Post
    OT::

what is the impedance of a headset exactly means and how it works ..... ??? im totally novice with this term ... :blush:
    Its the same term used in every electrical appliance, impedence for a headphone is no different. Impedance basically means the level of opposition or resistance to current, in simple terms, and is measured in ohms.

A very high impedance headphone usually requires a powerful headphone amplifier, but the level of amplification also depends on how much the headphone can output given a certain voltage supplied to it.

then what's the benefit of high impedance headset comparing to a lower or avarage impedance headsets ...???

another question is...... say, i dont have a multi channel headset /* like creativre aurvana dj , live or fatality */ then how much the quality will be improved if i just buy a ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 or Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium ... ????

• Mazhar's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • building
      • CPU:
      • the
      • RAM:
      • new
      • Hard Drive:
      • pc
      • Graphics Card:
      • in
      • Display:
      • a
      • Sound Card:
      • month
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Keyboard:
      • Sidewinder X4
      • Mouse:
      • Logitech G300
      • Controller:
      • Xbox 360 Controller
      • Power Supply:
      • Corsair AX750
      • Optical Drive:
      • Sony 20X DVD-RW
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium
      • ISP:
      • Talktalk Fiber
      • Download Speed:
      • Upload Speed:

The Aurvana DJ is a two channel headphone, and so is every other headphone and speaker designed for music. The quality improvement would depend on how badly the headphone needs more power, but it certainly would produce a much better balanced sound. The quantity of improvement is subjective, for me, it was night and day when my previous SRH440 was powered by integrated audio and the sound card, but that also was due to both the better DAC of the sound card + more voltage, not one of those two factors.

About impedance, its a slightly debatable question. Basically, a higher impedance headphone actually requires less current, but more voltage is required to reach the desired level of volume (or current)

Now since the difference between voltage and current is less, and remembering that voltage is electrical pressure, and current is electrical quantity or amount, the lower difference results in a flatter frequency response curve, which is preferable.

Also, it is easier for amplifiers to supply high amounts of very clean voltage, but supplying higher amounts of current as cleanly is more difficult. Hence, when properly amplified, higher impedance headphones would tend to produce sound which has less noise and distortion as well as a flatter frequency response. Furthermore, in studios where there are amps which power multiple headphones, supplying lots of voltage to the headphones is easier, rather than supplying more current which would stress out the amplifiers more.

actually mazhar vai, i meant higher then 2 channels by the term " multichannels " in my previous post ......

thanx a lot for such a clear concept....

• Mazhar's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • building
      • CPU:
      • the
      • RAM:
      • new
      • Hard Drive:
      • pc
      • Graphics Card:
      • in
      • Display:
      • a
      • Sound Card:
      • month
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Keyboard:
      • Sidewinder X4
      • Mouse:
      • Logitech G300
      • Controller:
      • Xbox 360 Controller
      • Power Supply:
      • Corsair AX750
      • Optical Drive:
      • Sony 20X DVD-RW
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium
      • ISP:
      • Talktalk Fiber
      • Download Speed:
      • Upload Speed:

Yes I know you meant higher than two channels by the term multichannel. Did you mean to say improvement for two channel headphone or more than two channel headphones? More than two channel headphones are always gaming oriented headphones, they dont need a sound card for a improvement in sound quality (they will get an improvement in quality, oif course, but not as much as music/studio headphones). They only need a sound card for added X-Fi effects and other features.

• Extreme Noob's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte P67A-UD3R-B3
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 2500k @4.3Ghz with CM Hyper212+
      • RAM:
      • G-Skill Ripjaws X 4GBX2 1600Mhz @8-8-8-20
      • Hard Drive:
      • Mushkin Callisto Deluxe 40GB SSD; WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA3; Samsung Spinpoint F3 500 GB
      • Graphics Card:
      • Sapphire Radeon HD6950 2GB unlocked to HD6970; XFX GT240 as a dedicated Physx Card
      • Display:
      • Viewsonic VX2260WM 22 inch Full HD LCD Monitor
      • Sound Card:
      • Creative Sound Blaster X-fi Titanium PCI-E
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Microlab Solo 7c 2.0 Full Range Stereo Speakers
      • Keyboard:
      • A4 Tech Slim Normal Keyboard
      • Mouse:
      • A4 Tech X7 Laser 3600DPI gaming mouse with Razer Goliathus Speed Edition
      • Controller:
      • Xbox 360 Controller ; DIGI USB Joystick
      • Power Supply:
      • Corsair TX650w V2
      • Optical Drive:
      • Asus SATA 24x DVD R/W Dual Layer
      • USB Devices:
      • Twinmos USB Flash Disk 4 GB
      • UPS:
      • Micro 1000VA
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
      • Benchmark Scores:
      • 3D Mark Vantage- P24529; 3D Mark 11- P5642
      • Comment:
      • Housed in a Cooler Master HAF 912 Advanced
      • ISP:
      • IsPros
      • Download Speed:
      • 30KBPS
      • Upload Speed:
      • Do not Know

I want to use that X-Fi Titanium with my Shure SRH 240.Now I m typing from India and going to get some Xclusive hardware stuffs like Corsair Dominator RAM,Arctic cooling freezer 7 pro cooler,Arctic Silver 5 thermal grease,steelseries Xai mouse etc from here.Mazhar bro How would be the audio card upgrade from built-in mobo audio for that HP?
    আমি এখন আর গেম খেলি না...

• Mazhar's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • building
      • CPU:
      • the
      • RAM:
      • new
      • Hard Drive:
      • pc
      • Graphics Card:
      • in
      • Display:
      • a
      • Sound Card:
      • month
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Keyboard:
      • Sidewinder X4
      • Mouse:
      • Logitech G300
      • Controller:
      • Xbox 360 Controller
      • Power Supply:
      • Corsair AX750
      • Optical Drive:
      • Sony 20X DVD-RW
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium
      • ISP:
      • Talktalk Fiber
      • Download Speed:
      • Upload Speed:

The SRH240 does not benefit that much from a sound card, since it does not require much power, the only difference would be the a cleaner sound with less noise and a more neutral frequency response due to the better DAC/Processor in the sound card. 440 certainly does benefit a lot more. 840 simply needs a good sound card as well as an decent headphone amplifier
    Last edited by Mazhar; May 13th, 2010 at 07:03.