Want to develop games?:Developer Insomniac initiates the Nocturnal Initiative!
The celebrated devs of Ratchet and clank and multi-million selling PS3 launch title Resistance: Fall of man has recently announced that they will share that Research and development information with EVERYONE for FREE!!Insomnia is the only dev to release 2 PS3 AAA games within one year! Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction was compared with pixel movies by many.
They are calling this Knowledge base Nocturnal Initiative.
here's some info:
Our goal is to facilitate and participate in the development of an open collection of libraries and utilities for addressing common challenges in game development.
Nocturnal Initiative is not
a game engine. The libraries provided here are potentially very useful for developing a game engine, but we want to avoid the 'all things to all people' that so often results in overly complex and/or under-performing monolithic engines. Instead, we want to provide a useful toolbox for the professional game developer.
There are a lot of common problems that are presented during game development. These problems are often solved separately at game studios across the industry. Sometimes the same people end up writing the same solution at several companies throughout their career. This is a waste of resources that can be avoided by openly sharing useful foundation code and techniques across company boundaries. We feel that this kind of sharing will allow studios to focus more on what sets their games apart and less on the basic building blocks necessary to create a modern game. It is our hope that this will result in studios making better games in less time, and hence benefit the industry as a whole.
The big ticket features provided by the Nocturnal Initiative include (but are by no means limited to):
These features are building blocks for future releases. Imminent (post-GDC) features will include:
- Handy Code Snippets
- C++ Delegate/Event System
- Pointer to reference counted objects
- Pointer to heap allocated arrays
- Endian conversion code
- Insertion ordered std::set
- Reversible key and value std::map
- Interprocess Communication
- Fast non-blocking message-based design
- Works over BSD-style sockets (TCP) or Named Pipes
- Windows platform included, additional platforms are easily added
- Debugging Helpers
- PDB-based symbol information querying
- Capture stacks within your program making heap object tracking and leak debugging easier
- Give your application automatic crash reports dispatched via email that contain handy user/machine informaton, call stack, and memory page allocation stats
- Console Output Manager
- Log console output to one or more trace files
- Color code the console output based on Error/Warning/Debug print statements
- Throttle output verbosity (configured via command line arg or environment variable)
- Outline nested stages of processing performed by your application (for builders/exporters)
- Augment crash reports with the current outline state of your application (very useful for tracking down new crash bugs)
- Instrumenting Profiler
- Cross platform (Windows and PS3 currently)
- Macro-instrumented stack timer based profiler
- Concise profile report printed out at program exit
- Logs instance data out to human readable log file (Profile Analyzer is in development)
- Perforce Wrapper
- We use perforce for both code and data here at Insomniac
- This wrapper wraps the string-command based P4API with a more structured API
- C++ Reflection
- Instrument your application classes and register them with the type registry
- Can serialize object instances to XML or our (faster) custom binary format
- Flexible parsing mechanics allow you to read in old versions of your class
- Handles renaming member variables as well as changing member type (within reasonable limits)
- Supports serializing std::vector, std::set, and std::map containers with primitives or pointers to other reflect objects
- Supports serializing enum and bitfield members using string representation (supports reordering enum elements)
- Provides for automatic object comparison and cloning
- Implements introspection using a visitor interface
By Roby in forum DotA Talk
Last Post: June 26th, 2008, 23:53
Tags for this Thread
Page generated in 0.15131 seconds with 14 queries.