User Tag List

Thread: History Lesson: Metal Gear

• Badhon's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • GIGABYTE GA-G31M-ES2C (Rev. 1.x) (Intel G31 Chipset)
      • CPU:
      • Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5200 (2.5 GHz, 800 FSB, 2 MB L2 Cache, 45nm) (Default Clock)
      • RAM:
      • 1x Patriot 2GB DDR2 800 Bus (Single Channel) (Crappy Brand)
      • Hard Drive:
      • SAMSUNG F1 320GB SATA 7200RPM
      • Graphics Card:
      • Onboard
      • Display:
      • SAMSUNG SyncMaster 550s 15" (Max. Resolution 1024x768) (White)
      • Sound Card:
      • Onboard (Realtek 8-Channel HD)
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Microlab M-119 2:1 Amplified Subwoofer System (Black)
      • Keyboard:
      • Perfect
      • Mouse:
      • Leno Optical
      • Controller:
      • USB Network Joystic
      • Power Supply:
      • Value-Top 400w
      • Optical Drive:
      • LiteON 16x DVD-ROM
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate x86 Genuine
      • Comment:
      • My Girlfriend
      • ISP:
      • Banglalion
      • Download Speed:
      • Avg. 30-40 KBps.
      • Upload Speed:
      • Slower Than A Turtles
      • Console:

Lightbulb History Lesson: Metal Gear

History Lesson: Metal Gear

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MGS1.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	30563

Few titles are founded on such a playful bedrock of action aspirations as Metal Gear

Hideo Kojima - Snake's creator, and a highly affable chap according to workmates who've met him - cites Western pop culture as his biggest influence.

Philosophy and topical debate play a part too, but not so much as the great thinkers: Willis, Russell and Van Damme (Kojima credits Snake's physical movement to the 'Muscles from Brussels').

But before Solid Snake there was Penta. A penguin. Kojima's first job for Konami was on Antarctic Adventure, a penguin-based action RPG. Showing early signs of his eye for the odd, he followed it up with a failed pitch for a platforming game about a female lucha libre wrestler.

Compared to this, the objective in his next game seemed positively mundane: infiltrate the military stronghold of Outer Heaven.

Name:	MGS2.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	175.1 KB 
ID:	30564

With a face torn from Michael Biehn (of Terminator fame) and a refreshing sneaking habit, Snake burst onto the MSX in 1987. Well, quietly shuffled in. Named after Kurt Russell's iconic anti-hero Snake Plissken (the eyepatched lead in John Carpenter's cult movie Escape From New York), he was a more endearing, if equally steely, figure - disarming Outer Heaven only to be betrayed by the leader of his own special-ops unit, FOXHOUND.

So began Metal Gear's epic narrative, a tale seemingly (but not quite) concluded 21 years later in Metal Gear Solid 4. With its acronymic oddity and characters hopping in and out of the grave, following Kojima's insane plot is a game unto itself.

The 1988 NES port of Metal Gear was made without Kojima's involvement, and although it sold a million copies, he badmouths it to this day. "Complete garbage" is the Kojima verdict. Sure, with redesigned maps it's not as tight as the original, but "garbage" is a little mean.

Maybe he's sore that the Metal Gear itself - the bipedal nuke tank that Snake spends all his games destroying - was removed from the game. You fight a pathetic super computer instead. But we can thank it in some ways - its success spawned a Kojima-free NES sequel, forcing him to counter-attack with the 'proper' canonical sequel on MSX.

Metal Gear: Snake's Revenge was the offending NES follow-up. A horrendous mishmash of a game that even dirtied the traditional top-down play with side-scrolling platform sections. Most laughable was the villain of the piece, Higharolla Kockamamie.

Thank the lords for Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, Kojima's proper sequel which revived grand villain Big Boss and provided the world's last glimpse of Snake for eight years.

Brought out of retirement for a hostage situation on Shadow Moses Island (Snake's stage in Super Smash Bros Brawl), Snake's bizarre battles with the freakish FOXHOUND squad in 1998's Metal Gear Solid defined PlayStation gaming for many people. It made a pretty sizeable impression on GameCube owners when Silicon Knights revamped it as The Twin Snakes, too.

Metal Gear Solid 4 - Regain Energy Drink Promo (Jap)

Kojima names action flick The Rock as an inspiration for Metal Gear Solid. Indeed, Kojima's regular music collaborator, Harry Gregson-Williams, worked as a music supervisor on the Alcatraz-storming actioner.

Kojima explains the name Solid Snake thusly: "This time Metal Gear is displayed in full polygonal form, and I used 'Solid' to describe the cubic structure. And, of course, Solid from Solid Snake." Makes sense. Sort of. Incidentally, Van Damme may have inspired the body, but the face belonged to Christopher Walken.

Although the Metal Gear Solid series was clearly Snake's natural home, there were occasional spin-offs over the years too, including Metal Gear Solid on the Game Boy Color. Released as Ghost Babel in Japan, this spin-off saw Snake return to Outer Heaven, now renamed Gindra, to face off against another gang of madly monikered hoodlums. Pyro Bison and Marionette Owl are particular faves. In our eyes it remains Snake's finest 2D outing.

The world of Snake - where grand ponderings on ethics in the nuclear age sit alongside poop gags - is too enticing not to return to time and time again. Here's hoping the upcoming Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain continues the epic yet quirky saga in typical Kojima fashion.

A Snake in the grass

With a timeline spanning 54 years and a twelve main games released over the past 25 years, it's safe to say the Metal Gear series has one of the most complex stories in gaming history.

With that in mind, here's our attempt at a potted history of the Metal Gear storyline, in chronological order. If you're a little confused about which Snake is which, this should help you out.

1964 - METAL GEAR SOLID 3: SNAKE EATER

Name:	MGS3.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	30565

In the first game in the Metal Gear timeline, FOX special forces newcomer 'Jack', codenamed Naked Snake, is sent into Russia to kill his mentor, The Boss.

1970 - METAL GEAR SOLID: PORTABLE OPS

Name:	MGS4.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	30566

After disbanding from FOX, Naked Snake does battle with his old unit and forms his own mercenary unit as he attempts to escape the San Hieronymo Peninsula.

1974 - METAL GEAR SOLID: PEACE WALKER

Name:	MGS5.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	30567

Now the head of mercenary corporation MSF, Naked Snake now goes by the codename Big Boss. After finding out that nuclear warheads are being transported to Latin America, he decides to put a stop to them.

1975-1984 - METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN

Name:	MGS6.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	30568

Set a few weeks after the events of Peace Walker, this upcoming title sees MSF's mother base attacked by a mysterious splinter organization called XOF. Big Boss falls into a coma for nine years then forms a new elite unit of soldiers, the 'Diamond Dogs'.

1995 - METAL GEAR

Name:	MGS7.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	30569

Fast forward another decade into the future and we're now at the second generation of Metal Gear. A young solider codenamed Solid Snake is a rookie member of the FOXHOUND special operations unit, sent by Big Boss to a South African fortress called Outer Heaven to discover a new weapon called Metal Gear. It turns out Big Boss is actually the leader of Outer Heaven, which he created to let soldiers fight free of any government interference. Solid Snake seemingly kills Big Boss.

1999 - METAL GEAR 2: SOLID SNAKE

Name:	MGS8.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	30570

Solid Snake goes on a mission to rescue the kidnapped Czechoslovak biologist Dr. Kio Marv from the forces of Zanzibarland. At the end it's revealed that Big Boss didn't die after all, so Solid Snake finishes him off once and for all with a makeshift flamethrower.

2005 - METAL GEAR SOLID

Name:	MGS9.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	30572

FOXHOUND forces Solid Snake out of retirement and sends him to Shadow Moses Island, the site of a nuclear weapons disposal facility. The island has been seized by a group led by a mercenary known as Liquid Snake, so Solid Snake has to regain control of it. It eventually emerges that Solid Snake and Liquid Snake were both the results of a government-sponsored effort to clone Big Boss.

2007-2009 - METAL GEAR SOLID 2: SONS OF LIBERTY

Name:	MGS10.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	30574

A third Big Boss clone, Solidus Snake, takes control of the 'Big Shell' offshore facility to develop a mobile undersea fortress called Arsenal Gear. FOXHOUND soldier Raiden joins forces with Solid Snake to try and put and end to him. It emerges the whole thing was a carefully co-ordinated re-enactment of the Shadow Moses incident, led by Revolver Ocelot (who works for a secretive cabal known as the Patriots), to try and make Raiden a solider as skilled as Snake. Getting confused yet?

2014 - METAL GEAR SOLID 4: GUNS OF THE PATRIOTS

Name:	MGS11.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	30575

An ageing Solid Snake (now also known as Old Snake) continues his quest to find and kill Revolver Ocelot (now called Liquid Ocelot after becoming possessed by the spirit of Liquid Snake). Meanwhile, the Patriots have been installing artificial intelligence systems around the world to try and control it. After defeating both the Patriots and Liquid Ocelot, Snake decides to live the rest of his life in peace.

2018 - METAL GEAR RISING: REVENGEANCE

Name:	MGS12.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	30576

After being injured while failing to defend the president of an African country, Raiden is given a cyborg suit to track down and get vengeance (or rather revengeance) on the private military group who caused his failure.

By Matthew Castle, Associate Editor, Official Nintendo Magazine for CVG UK

Source:CVG
    Last edited by Badhon; September 5th, 2013 at 14:58.
    A strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own

• Sybaris Caesar's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel DH61WW B3 Rev.
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 2400 3.10 Ghz
      • RAM:
      • Kingston KVR1333D3N9/4G 4GB DDR3 1333 Mhz
      • Hard Drive:
      • Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB 7200 RPM
      • Graphics Card:
      • Leadtek Winfast GTX 560 ti 1GB GDDR5 822/1644/4008
      • Sound Card:
      • Onboard
      • Keyboard:
      • Thermaltake Commander
      • Mouse:
      • Logitech G402
      • Controller:
      • Original Xbox 360 Wireless
      • Power Supply:
      • Cooler Master G550M
      • Optical Drive:
      • Samsung SH222 22x DVD Writer
      • UPS:
      • Orlando 800va(packet e lekha apollo)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro x64
      • Upload Speed:
      • ∞

Eh.... Why do I see '95 and '99 in 2D while others in 3D platform ?
    My probable next build: Qisan MagicForce 68 (Outemu switch) / Teamwolf Zhuque+ 87 TKL (Outemu) / Monoprice Select series full size (Outemu/Gateron) / Drevo Gramr 84 TKL (Outemu) • Logitech G102 Prodigy • Deepcool Dukase V3 / Thermaltake Versa U21 • Superlux HD 681 • Creative Sound Blaster E1 • LG 22MP68VQ • SteelSeries QcK • Generic executive chair • others TBA

djrock please don't bother me. You are in my ignore list so I don't have to see literal poop.

• Trave160's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B350M Mortar AM4
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 1600
      • RAM:
      • 16GB DDR4 3000Mhz
      • Hard Drive:
      • 3TB Western Digital red
      • Graphics Card:
      • ASUS Strix GTX 960 4G
      • Display:
      • Dell S2216H 22 Inch monitor
      • Sound Card:
      • None
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Logitech Speaker
      • Keyboard:
      • TtEsports Knucker
      • Controller:
      • PS4 Dualshock 4 controller
      • Power Supply:
      • Thermaltake Smart SE 630W Modular
      • Optical Drive:
      • Samsung 24X DVD-RW Drive(Defunct)
      • USB Devices:
      • Pendrive 4GB
      • UPS:
      • Power Tree 1250VA
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64bit
      • Comment:
      • Toaster rig arisen to Ultra toaster with chisel abs.
      • ISP:
      • NunuCom Ltd, Penus group
      • Download Speed:
      • Super San 200kbps
      • Upload Speed:
      • 105*2
      • Console:

This is a better Anthology than the stupid videos i downloaded from Youtube

• Rawkill's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock Z77 Extreme 6
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 3570k @ 4.4Ghz/ Phanteks PH-TC14PE
      • RAM:
      • Kingston Hyper X Genesis 2 x 4GB
      • Hard Drive:
      • WD Blue 1TB x 2
      • Graphics Card:
      • MSI Geforce GTX 970 Gaming 4GB
      • Display:
      • Asus MX239H 23-inch IPS Monitor
      • Sound Card:
      • Creative Sound Blaster ZX
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80ohm, Oppo HA-2 Amp, FnD 6000U 5.1 Speaker
      • Keyboard:
      • Corsair K70 RGB
      • Mouse:
      • Logitech G502 Spectrum, Razer Goliath Speed Extended (Overwatch Edition)
      • Controller:
      • Logitech F510 Rumblepad
      • Power Supply:
      • Thermaltake Toughpower 750W
      • Optical Drive:
      • Harry Potter (HP) DVD-RW
      • UPS:
      • Prolink 1000VA
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 SP1 64-bit
      • Comment:
      • Cooler Master HAF - X
      • ISP:
      • Dot Internet
      • Download Speed:
      • 550-600 KB/s
      • Upload Speed:
      • 200-2500 KB/s

Quote Originally Posted by Dunia_r_JAURA View Post
    Eh.... Why do I see '95 and '99 in 2D while others in 3D platform ?
    Coz 95 and 99 were the first Metal Gear games in the series.

• Motherboard:
      • Intel DH61WW B3 Rev.
      • CPU:
      • RAM:
      • Hard Drive:
      • Graphics Card:
      • Sound Card:
      • Onboard
      • Keyboard:
      • Thermaltake Commander
      • Mouse:
      • Logitech G402
      • Controller:
      • Power Supply:
      • Cooler Master G550M
      • Optical Drive:
      • UPS:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro x64
      • Upload Speed:
      • ∞

Quote Originally Posted by Rawkill View Post
    Coz 95 and 99 were the first Metal Gear games in the series.
    Ok I think the years stated above are not the actual year(of the titles' release) but the plot timeline. Coz '70, '74, '75-'75 and heck even '64 is 3D if am not mistaken. So I think it'd be better if the writer stated the actual release dates also. And what's with the genre of the franchise ? Other metal gear solids are TPS imo but MGS: Revengeance ? My stupid friend laughed at me couse I told him Mr. Snake hack-&-slashes through bad guys in Revengeance.
    My probable next build: Qisan MagicForce 68 (Outemu switch) / Teamwolf Zhuque+ 87 TKL (Outemu) / Monoprice Select series full size (Outemu/Gateron) / Drevo Gramr 84 TKL (Outemu) • Logitech G102 Prodigy • Deepcool Dukase V3 / Thermaltake Versa U21 • Superlux HD 681 • Creative Sound Blaster E1 • LG 22MP68VQ • SteelSeries QcK • Generic executive chair • others TBA

djrock please don't bother me. You are in my ignore list so I don't have to see literal poop.

• Rawkill's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock Z77 Extreme 6
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 3570k @ 4.4Ghz/ Phanteks PH-TC14PE
      • RAM:
      • Kingston Hyper X Genesis 2 x 4GB
      • Hard Drive:
      • WD Blue 1TB x 2
      • Graphics Card:
      • MSI Geforce GTX 970 Gaming 4GB
      • Display:
      • Asus MX239H 23-inch IPS Monitor
      • Sound Card:
      • Creative Sound Blaster ZX
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80ohm, Oppo HA-2 Amp, FnD 6000U 5.1 Speaker
      • Keyboard:
      • Corsair K70 RGB
      • Mouse:
      • Logitech G502 Spectrum, Razer Goliath Speed Extended (Overwatch Edition)
      • Controller:
      • Logitech F510 Rumblepad
      • Power Supply:
      • Thermaltake Toughpower 750W
      • Optical Drive:
      • Harry Potter (HP) DVD-RW
      • UPS:
      • Prolink 1000VA
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 SP1 64-bit
      • Comment:
      • Cooler Master HAF - X
      • ISP:
      • Dot Internet
      • Download Speed:
      • 550-600 KB/s
      • Upload Speed:
      • 200-2500 KB/s

Quote Originally Posted by Dunia_r_JAURA View Post
    Ok I think the years stated above are not the actual year(of the titles' release) but the plot timeline. Coz '70, '74, '75-'75 and heck even '64 is 3D if am not mistaken. So I think it'd be better if the writer stated the actual release dates also. And what's with the genre of the franchise ? Other metal gear solids are TPS imo but MGS: Revengeance ? My stupid friend laughed at me couse I told him Mr. Snake hack-&-slashes through bad guys in Revengeance.
    Took you long enough. Do a little research on this series the story is quite interesting. Game timeline in MGS series is a lot more interesting then release dates. And 'Mr. Snake' dies in MGS 4. Raiden is the hacker/slasher in Revengeance.
    Last edited by Rawkill; September 5th, 2013 at 18:46.

• Badhon's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5200 (2.5 GHz, 800 FSB, 2 MB L2 Cache, 45nm) (Default Clock)
      • RAM:
      • Hard Drive:
      • Graphics Card:
      • Onboard
      • Display:
      • SAMSUNG SyncMaster 550s 15" (Max. Resolution 1024x768) (White)
      • Sound Card:
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Keyboard:
      • Perfect
      • Mouse:
      • Leno Optical
      • Controller:
      • USB Network Joystic
      • Power Supply:
      • Value-Top 400w
      • Optical Drive:
      • LiteON 16x DVD-ROM
      • Operating System:
      • Comment:
      • My Girlfriend
      • ISP:
      • Banglalion
      • Download Speed:
      • Avg. 30-40 KBps.
      • Upload Speed:
      • Slower Than A Turtles
      • Console:

Ami Nijei Confused Eita Poira, Kare Ki Jigamu!!!!!

• solid snake's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • gigabyte g41m
      • CPU:
      • core 2 quad
      • RAM:
      • 4 gb
      • Hard Drive:
      • 500 gb
      • Graphics Card:
      • ati 5770
      • Power Supply:
      • tt t2 rx
      • Operating System:
      • win 7

amar mone ase, school a thakte jokhon first mgs kheli pc te, ami ar amar ek friend mile saradin net a ( 2 KB er dial up ) mgs er story niya gutaguti kortam. good old days. XD

• Motherboard:
      • Intel DH61WW B3 Rev.
      • CPU:
      • RAM:
      • Hard Drive:
      • Graphics Card:
      • Sound Card:
      • Onboard
      • Keyboard:
      • Thermaltake Commander
      • Mouse:
      • Logitech G402
      • Controller:
      • Power Supply:
      • Cooler Master G550M
      • Optical Drive:
      • UPS:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro x64
      • Upload Speed:
      • ∞

Quote Originally Posted by solid snake View Post
    amar mone ase, school a thakte jokhon first mgs kheli pc te, ami ar amar ek friend mile saradin net a ( 2 KB er dial up ) mgs er story niya gutaguti kortam. good old days. XD
    Apner jati bhai der kotha to apnar janar kotha >>_<<

• Badhon's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • RAM:
      • Hard Drive:
      • Graphics Card:
      • Onboard
      • Display:
      • SAMSUNG SyncMaster 550s 15&quot; (Max. Resolution 1024x768) (White)
      • Sound Card:
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Keyboard:
      • Perfect
      • Mouse:
      • Leno Optical
      • Controller:
      • USB Network Joystic
      • Power Supply:
      • Value-Top 400w
      • Optical Drive:
      • LiteON 16x DVD-ROM
      • Operating System:
      • Comment:
      • My Girlfriend
      • ISP:
      • Banglalion
      • Download Speed:
      • Avg. 30-40 KBps.
      • Upload Speed:
      • Slower Than A Turtles
      • Console:

Quote Originally Posted by solid snake View Post
    Je Story MG Series Er, Shakespeare Fail Jabe Kojima'r Kase
    Last edited by Badhon; September 5th, 2013 at 20:50.