• ASUS P-50GA
      • Optical Drive:
      • ASUS DRW 24B1ST
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate
      • ISP:
      • ISPROS Limited

Default which digital camera to buy

I am looking forward to buy a Digital camera despite of the price and two model of two different platform I picked up for you to help me buying.
    1) Nikon D5200 [ Camera Body 58k + AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR 75k = 1 Lac 33 thousand ]
    2) Sony Cybershot DSC HX300 [ 40k]

Now the confusion part.............

## I have never operated DSLR before and no previous experience of setting ISO, aperture, shutter speed all those manual settings

## Scared !! as I heard after 1 lac picture taken with DSLR I need to change shutter sometime the body. This will surely through me a world of choosing the perfect moment to capture not to waste a single shot.

## 18-300 mm can zoom only upto 16.7x where as sony has 50x optical zoom

## I will be needed tripod, expensive accessories like speed light, SDHC extreme card for DSLR where as for sony accessories are not of so expensive

## DSLR can give me crisp, sharp picture over a point and shoot.

I will ask experience member to bring me into light of knowledge about DSLR, how difficult it is to play with, calculating shutter etc. Should I buy DSLR or just the bridge camera ?
    Last edited by Metal; August 4th, 2013 at 09:44.
    =====================================================
    Power is not only what you have but what the enemy thinks you have.

Nikon D5200. No contest.

• Metal's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • GIGABYTE [ GA-EP43-UD3L ]
      • CPU:
      • INTEL(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9505 @ 2.83Ghz
      • RAM:
      • APACER 4GB DDR2
      • Hard Drive:
      • SAMSUNG 750GB
      • Graphics Card:
      • NVDIA GeForce 9500 GT
      • Display:
      • Dell E178WFP
      • Sound Card:
      • CREATIVE Sound Blaster 5:1
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • COSONIC CD-779MV
      • Keyboard:
      • A4Tech KR-83 USB [Black]
      • Mouse:
      • A4Tech OP-620D
      • Power Supply:
      • ASUS P-50GA
      • Optical Drive:
      • ASUS DRW 24B1ST
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate
      • ISP:
      • ISPROS Limited

No experts to pass out some good information detail about DSLR

• proton_chain's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3
      • CPU:
      • RAM:
      • 4x4GB DDR3-1600MHz
      • Hard Drive:
      • 6.5TB (3TB+2TB+1TB+.5TB)
      • Graphics Card:
      • Nvidia Geforce GTX 760 4GB
      • Display:
      • Samsung Syncmaster 22 inch
      • Sound Card:
      • Asus Xonar Essence STX
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Shure SRH440
      • Keyboard:
      • TT Challenger Pro
      • Mouse:
      • A4tech Bloody V3M
      • Power Supply:
      • Thermaltake Toughpower 600W
      • Optical Drive:
      • Sony Optiarc DVD burner
      • USB Devices:
      • Blue Yeti USB Microphone
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • ISP:
      • Amber IT
      • Download Speed:
      • 384 KB/s (day), 786 KB/s (night)
      • Upload Speed:

Default Digital camera suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by Metal View Post
    ## I have never operated DSLR before and no previous experience of setting ISO, aperture, shutter speed all those manual settings
    That's normal. These are very simple concepts and all it requires is a few minutes of googling to know everything there is to these. I would recommend going through beginner level guides like this one to get a fairly good idea about these variables. And you can even take pictures with this camera simulator for self assessment.

## Scared !! as I heard after 1 lac picture taken with DSLR I need to change shutter sometime the body. This will surely through me a world of choosing the perfect moment to capture not to waste a single shot.
    Okay let me get this straight. Everything has a limited life expectancy. Even you and I are destined to die, so why not the shutter? The catch is to make the most out of what we have. In reality, the lifetime will far surpass the time it will take you to upgrade to a newer camera. Even the keyboard in front of you has a lifespan. You will probably get a newer keyboard before the current one reaches the end of its life.

What I have written in the above para can be applicable to pretty much everything you see around you. Your concern itself is invalid. Both the cameras you are considering have shutters. Which means, none of them will last forever. So, let's not waste our time worrying about silly things, there are much more important things out there that need our attention.

## 18-300 mm can zoom only upto 16.7x where as sony has 50x optical zoom
    Quality of the lens matters, not how far it can zoom in. 18-300 mm will be sufficient for almost all of your photographic needs. If you need anything wider/longer, you'll know. And trust me, after you get to know photography a little bit better, you will laugh at that "50x zoom" feature you are talking about right now. Judging by your level, I would recommend you to stick to the kit lens for a while before considering other choices. Hopefully, you will have a much better understanding of cameras and lenses after some practical experimentation.

## I will be needed tripod, expensive accessories like speed light, SDHC extreme card for DSLR where as for sony accessories are not of so expensive

No. Tripod, high speed SDHC, external flash etc. are optional. I'm not sure about what you actually tried to mean by "sony accessories are not of so expensive", but I would just go ahead and disagree anyway because all of the probable meanings are disagreeable. You will most likely never need an ultra/extreme SDHC since your camera will hold you back before you hit the limit of the card itself while shooting continuously. Any class 10 SDHC would suffice, even that if you plan on recording full HD videos.

And about the price - I picked up a Sony 64 GB class 10 card from amazon for just under 4k. I highly doubt that you will need anything more than 16/32 GB even if you shoot RAW, you do the math. As for tripods, they are quite cheap too. You can get the ones with metallic legs for about 3.5k (and they are quite sturdy, suitable for self defense). Plasticky ones are even cheaper, around 2k. And you can safely forget about external flash; you will probably not be needing it anytime soon, if you are going to need it at all.

## DSLR can give me crisp, sharp picture over a point and shoot.
    Crisp, sharp, clean. DSLRs have a larger sensor, so there is less noise visible in the image, even at higher ISO values. There are tons of other benefits, but it would be kinda pointless to go into details in this post. You'll gradually get to know them as you acquire more knowledge.

I will ask experience member to bring me into light of knowledge about DSLR, how difficult it is to play with, calculating shutter etc. Should I buy DSLR or just the bridge camera ?
    Even though it pretty much ruins the point of getting a DSLR, most DSLRs come with an "Auto" mode. Personally, I never used it but I think it adjusts everything automatically, as the name would suggest. The next step up would be aperture and shutter priority modes. Most modern cameras also have an auto ISO mode as well. Even experienced photographers tend to use aperture priority mode for faster shooting (especially people who are weak in maths or just lazy). There is a lot to learn but don't worry, everyone starts somewhere. If you took your physics classes seriously, time to put the laws into practice. Also, the better you are at maths, the faster you will be able to calculate what settings you need to enter to achieve the look you need.

My recommendation: Even though the DSLR candidate blows the competition away, I would not recommend it just yet. I, however, won't recommend the HX-300 either. If you don't want to take photography seriously, then get a cheaper point and shoot camera for <20k, those 50x zoom and stuff like that are marketing strategies to attract customers like you. You are not going to snipe with it, are you? If you do, however, happen to have a bottomless pocket then by all means, go for the DSLR regardless of whether you want to take photography seriously or not. You will eventually get familiar with the settings, they are only complex if you think they are complex.

I have answered everything you have asked, the decision is yours to make. Good luck.

• Metal's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • GIGABYTE [ GA-EP43-UD3L ]
      • CPU:
      • INTEL(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9505 @ 2.83Ghz
      • RAM:
      • APACER 4GB DDR2
      • Hard Drive:
      • SAMSUNG 750GB
      • Graphics Card:
      • NVDIA GeForce 9500 GT
      • Display:
      • Dell E178WFP
      • Sound Card:
      • CREATIVE Sound Blaster 5:1
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • COSONIC CD-779MV
      • Keyboard:
      • A4Tech KR-83 USB [Black]
      • Mouse:
      • A4Tech OP-620D
      • Power Supply:
      • ASUS P-50GA
      • Optical Drive:
      • ASUS DRW 24B1ST
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate
      • ISP:
      • ISPROS Limited

@proton_chain budget is not my part of worry but the settings of DSLR is. I am very very very poor in math. When I see people talking about ISO 200, F 3.2, portrait mode I just can't able to reach what the person is saying. But photography was always my passion, dream. Previously I was using a Sony Cybershot DSC H50 for 1.3 years and true you are I just can't capture the image I want it to deliver me. This is why I am looking forward to buy a DSLR but who gonna teach me to operate no idea nor how long it may take to learn it by trial and error. If I experiment with a product of so expensive it might give up one day saying I am not ready to take the pressure you giving everyday, I quit.

last question your personal suggestion for me which DSLR body is best Nikon D90/Nikon D5200 or any canon ?
    Last edited by Metal; August 4th, 2013 at 23:30.

• proton_chain's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3
      • CPU:
      • RAM:
      • 4x4GB DDR3-1600MHz
      • Hard Drive:
      • 6.5TB (3TB+2TB+1TB+.5TB)
      • Graphics Card:
      • Nvidia Geforce GTX 760 4GB
      • Display:
      • Samsung Syncmaster 22 inch
      • Sound Card:
      • Asus Xonar Essence STX
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Shure SRH440
      • Keyboard:
      • TT Challenger Pro
      • Mouse:
      • A4tech Bloody V3M
      • Power Supply:
      • Thermaltake Toughpower 600W
      • Optical Drive:
      • Sony Optiarc DVD burner
      • USB Devices:
      • Blue Yeti USB Microphone
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • ISP:
      • Amber IT
      • Download Speed:
      • Upload Speed:

last question your personal suggestion for me which DSLR body is best Nikon D90/Nikon D5200 or any canon ?
    I would recommend the D5200 over the very old D90, even though the latter has a built-in focus motor. And it is completely up to you to determine whether you want to go with Nikon or Canon, both of them have been around for a very long time and are likely to be so. Choose whichever one you prefer, 'nuff said. About the settings you've mentioned - you should have a better understanding if you read the article.

For further info, just google. Google is your best friend. Confused about something? Just search for it. Example "f/3.2 vs f/11", "ISO 200 vs ISO 1600", "ISO explained", "aperture explained" etc. And use the camera simulator linked in my first comment to play with the settings in real time.