Dhaka, Aug 14 (bdnews24.com)—International connectivity to Bangladesh returned Friday evening after a 16-hour disruption as the country's submarine cable link was restored in Cox's Bazar, a top official said.
"We heard that the link was restored around 6.30pm," said managing director of Bangladesh Submarine Cable Company Ltd Monwar Hossain.
Internet services countrywide were severely disrupted by an overnight break in the link connecting Bangladesh to submarine cable SEA-ME-WE-4.
The South East Asia-Middle East-West Europe 4 is the submarine cable system linking South East Asia to Europe via the Indian Sub-Continent and Middle East. The cable boosts bandwidth and global connectivity of users along its route between Singapore and France.
Hossain told bdnews24.com that Bangladesh's link to the SEA-ME-WE-4 was cut at around 2.45am between Chittagong and Cox's Bazar.
He said roadworks on the Chittagong-Cox's Bazar highway had caused the accidental cut in the optical fibre link some 22km from Cox's Bazar.
Net speeds fell after Typhoon Morakot
Bangladesh had already been experiencing slow internet speeds over the past few days, after Typhoon Morakot damaged submarine cables in East Asia earlier in the week, a telecoms official said on Thursday.
BTCL managing director Khabiruzzaman told bdnews24.com that the region was facing trouble because of the damage to the Asia Pacific Cable Network-2 (APCN-2).
Reuters also reported that up to 90 percent of all voice call and Internet services from parts of East Asia were disrupted after the typhoon damaged undersea cables in the region.
Khabiruzzaman had said APCN-2 was being repaired in East Asia and net speeds would be restored by Friday.
But Bangladesh subsequently experienced the further disruption with the break in its own optical fibre link connecting to the SEA-ME-WE-4.