Depeche Mode is an English electronic music band formed in 1980, in Basildon, Essex, England.

Depeche Mode is one of the longest-lived, most successful and influential bands to have emerged from the early 80s. It has had forty-five songs in the UK Singles Chart, as well as #1 albums in UK, US and throughout countries in Europe. According to EMI, Depeche Mode has sold over 75 million albums worldwide, as part of total worldwide record sales (including singles) in excess of 100 million

New Wave
Alternative dance

Years active 1980–present

Sounds of the Universe (2009)

In August 2007, during promotion for Dave Gahan's second solo album, Hourglass, it was announced that Depeche Mode were heading back in studio in early 2008 to work on their upcoming twelfth studio album.[43]

In March 2008, rumours surfaced that Ben Hillier would be the producer of the forthcoming album.[44] In May 2008, the band returned to the studio to work on some songs that Martin Gore had been working on at his home studio in Santa Barbara, California.

In August 2008, it was announced that Depeche Mode were splitting from their long-term U.S. label, Warner Music, and will be signed to EMI Music worldwide.

At a press conference on 6 October 2008 at the Olympiastadion in Berlin[45] the band announced plans for its Tour of the Universe, the group’s first-ever stadium tour in which they will perform in 28 cities across 21 countries throughout Europe [46], which commenced on May 6, 2009 with it's warm-up show at Rockhal, Luxembourg.[47] and officially starts on May 10, 2009 at Ramat Gan Stadium, Israel.[48] Dates in North America and a return to South America for the first time since the Exotic Tour of 1994 are to follow but have not yet been announced.[49] At the press conference, clips from two new songs, "Wrong" and "Peace" were previewed. "Wrong" is a Dave Gahan-sung track with a lot of electronics, "Peace" a Gore/Gahan duet.[50]

Posted on YouTube are videos shot by Andy Fletcher of the construction of a new song from the album.[51]

On 15 January 2009, the official Depeche Mode website announced that the new album would be called Sounds of the Universe.[52]. The album was released internationally on 20 April 2009 and in the U.S. on 21 April 2009.[53]

"Wrong" is the first single from the album, released digitally on 21 February 2009, and physically on 6 April (7 April in the U.S.). The video is directed by Patrick Daughters.

The full album was leaked over the Internet on 26 March 2009, when it was sold ahead of time through iTunes Pass.[citation needed]

Andy Fletcher says the idea for their iTunes Pass was a combination of the band's and iTunes'. "I think the digital and record companies are starting to get their act together. They were very lazy in the first 10 years when downloads came in. Now they’re collaborating more and coming up with interesting ideas for fans to buy products." [54]

Depeche Mode's Andy Fletcher has told the indie electronic magazine Side-Line that several demos from the band have gone missing[55]. One of the missing demos is "Personal Jesus".

On May 14 2009, Depeche Mode announced they had been forced to cancel six shows on their Tour of the Universe due to further complications from singer Dave Gahan's severe bout of gastroenteritis.

Ken Jordan, member of the LA electronic duo The Crystal Method has said that Depeche Mode is one of The Crystal Method's main influences in music.

Chester Bennington, vocalist of Linkin Park, was inspired by the band.[61][62] Another Linkin Park member Mike Shinoda has said, "Depeche Mode is one of the most influential groups of our time. Their music is an inspiration to me..."[63]

The band's influence is spread throughout different genres of music. Raymond Herrera, the drummer of the heavy metal band Fear Factory, says, "A lot of different music influenced the way I play now. Like the band Depeche Mode. If I could sound like Depeche Mode, but be fast like Slayer, I think I might be onto something".[64] According to Darren Smith, the guitarist of the post-hardcore band Funeral for a Friend, "dark, moodier stuff" in his band's music was "Depeche Mode-influenced."[65] Depeche Mode's influence on heavy metal bands is clear through the numerous covers of their songs. Examples include Lacuna Coil's cover of "Enjoy the Silence", Arsis' cover of "The Things You Said", Rammstein's "Stripped", Marilyn Manson's "Personal Jesus", A Perfect Circle's "People are People", Sonata Arctica's "World in My Eyes" and In Flames' "Everything Counts". Other artists to have covered the band's songs include Tori Amos and H.I.M. ("Enjoy the Silence"), Johnny Cash ("Personal Jesus") and more recently The Saturdays ("Just Can't Get Enough").

In August 2008, Coldplay released a "cover version" of the video for "Enjoy the Silence" as an alternate video for their single "Viva la Vida". On their website where the video is shown, they are quoted as saying, "This is our attempt at a video cover version, made out of love for Depeche Mode and the genius of Anton Corbijn." The video shows Chris Martin dressed as a king like Dave Gahan, walking through The Hague, Anton Corbijn's place of birth

Gee i became Depeche mode fan after i heard "ENJOY THE SILENCE" ¤¤¤¤ing awesome,but this new album is full of ¤¤¤¤[no hard feelings], I have listen to every track twice and ponder what's the big deal?????? Believe me except some tracks here and there[wrong,corrupt and peace may be "OK" but not good], This new album of Depeche Mode has even disappointed some of the die hard fans of Depeche Mode. This album is purely based on i would rather say "old and monotonous". Even some of the tracks if you listen to them 10 times they won't get thru your head.Even though many metal and rock genre bands have said that the are influenced by Depeche Mode but what a disappointment[I didn't expect awesome albums but GOOD was my expectation] any way let's see what good can they produce in their next album. Till then my finger is crossed!!!!!!

bye the these are some reviews and some them nailed the album

but nobody state any remarkable comments on this album everyone's upset about this album -