User Tag List

Thread: IceFrog's Blog

Default IceFrog's Blog

I would like to keep this threads name as it is now. If there is any problem, then please change the name.

Here i would like to paste[with acknowledgment] all the updates from IceFrog's personal blog.

here is the latest update:

April Fools Map

Submitted by IceFrog on Wed, 04/01/2009 - 21:02

I traditionally do custom maps each year for this day but I've decided to skip it this time. I know some of you look forward to it. There is a lot of demand to get 6.60 ready asap, so I felt that it would be more appropriate to focus all my effort on that instead. I'll make it up to you guys next year

A lot of players always ask me why I don't publish release dates ahead of time. I don't do it to build suspense or to keep players waiting, the main reason I don't is because it is hard to actually be sure of a date and if it is missed players become upset.

I will make sure to post here more often in the near future to keep you guys in the loop on the development and maybe give a sneak preview or two. While I can't give an exact date like I said above, I will try to let you guys know when it is a couple of days away from release and is in final translation mode.

My main focus is the quality of the changed or added content and to make sure that the gameplay overall is taking a step forward and not backwards. Sometimes things need to be redone multiple times to achieve those goals which is why it is hard to predict. That being said, 6.60 has the a very large number of changes and improvements to the game. I think it will be worth the wait.

Update: Some people emailed confused what my post meant. April 1st is a day where some people post fake things on the net for fun. The last few years I did fake maps for this that people liked playing. I didn't do a fake map this year.

Captains Draft

Submitted by IceFrog on Fri, 03/27/2009 - 11:05

I figured I'd take a short break from coding to give you guys a sneak peak at one of the new features in the upcoming version.

It is basically a new game mode that is a mix of RD and CM. Each team has one captain that is responsible for the drafting phase. The game starts with a hero pool of 22 (2 more than RD) presented in a circle. The captains start off by banning 1 hero each and then they move on to drafting heroes for their team. The order of each phase alternates like CM. After the heroes have been chosen by the captains, they are placed in the starting area and each player gets to choose which hero he wants to play with.

The exact size of the hero pool and the ban count are not final yet, so I'd like to hear any input you might have on this. The goal for the mode is to provide the gamers that prefer playing with a small hero selection the ability to enjoy the drafting experience that takes place in competitive CM games.

[Copied from IceFrog's blog]

Rune Sounds

Submitted by IceFrog on Mon, 03/23/2009 - 12:09

I'm hoping to add some team-only sounds in the next version for when an ally gets a rune (it would announce which specific rune it is that he got).

This has been requested before by a lot of players, but the main problem is that I don't have any appropriate sounds to use for them right now.

I've tried some of the Quake/Unreal ones that people usually suggest, but they would require some modifications before they could fit in with the other sounds.

If anyone has experience with sound development and can either adjust those ones to fit DotA or just make new ones send me an email.

Also, if there are other sounds that you find online and think would work in DotA, let me know.

---------- Post added at 18:30 ---------- Previous post was at 18:26 ----------

Tavern Layout

Submitted by IceFrog on Sun, 03/22/2009 - 00:37

One issue I'm debating right now is the current tavern layout. I am trying to improve it so that it is easier for players to quickly find their heroes and in small part to make more room.

There are a few different options, ranging from making just one tavern area and sorting by classes (3 taverns per class [9 total], and then making heroes available or not available based on the game mode) to other ideas like 5 taverns for each side [10 total] with Int/Str/Agi/Hybrid/Hybrid. Hybrid is a bit hard to define though and might not be intuitive for all players. Another option is to have 2 taverns for each class on each side [12 total], but that comes with its share issues as well.
    Let me know what you guys think of these different options and if you have any other recommendations to consider.

Also, as I mentioned in the 6.59d change log, if anyone has any other suggestions for the things you would like to see in either 6.60 or the versions that follow, please let me know.

Visit IceFrog's Blog

//if it helps, IceFrog's email ID is [email protected]//
    Last edited by kabir_sharif2000; April 2nd, 2009 at 10:55.

Its just [EB]. Not Elite B[a]stard or anything like that.

Default Re: IceFrog's Blog

Update

Submitted by IceFrog on Wed, 04/08/2009 - 19:43

Hey guys. I'm here to give a quick update on development status. I'm still working very hard each day to try and get 6.60 to you guys as soon as possible, I know you are all waiting. While there are indeed new heroes and items in the next version, there are also lots of hero and item remakes which can be very time consuming to get right sometimes.
    For Heroes, the main challenge is getting just the right mix of changes and new abilities that will both keep the existing fans of that hero happy and satisfied while also making the hero more enjoyable to other players.

There are many heroes getting at least one changed ability this time around, but not every change ends up making it to the final version if they don't pass those requirements after some play testing. For Items, whenever one is added or changed, all other items need to get checked. Sometimes older items require more changes to be consistent with other game balance adjustments that are done. This is a process that items go through many times during the beta phase and it makes the exact timing of updates a bit hard to predict because the goal isn't to just change something, but to make sure it offers something enjoyable to the players in the end.

Of course there will also be lots of balance improvements as well, and not just new/remade heroes and items. However, to try and make up for the long wait, I'll share with you guys some more specific information about the next version.
    Aghanim's Scepter has been remade and in addition to its new functionality, it will also provide ultimate upgrades to many other heroes that didn't get it before (and not just Intelligence heroes).

Another new feature is a dynamic terrain morphing command available on a per user basis (including trees). For example, you will be able to change to snow terrain and snow trees at any point in the game while the other players are still using the standard forest theme. The way the new system has been developed allows easy addition of more terrains without much work, so if there is a specific terrain style you like, let me know.

Thanks again for the patience, I'll do my best to give you guys an update as soon as it feels ready and when it is only a day or two away from release. My hope is that it doesn't take too much longer. I've also been receiving some pretty nice ideas through the email, so keep them coming.

Visit IceFrog's Blog.

Recipe Shops

Submitted by IceFrog on Wed, 04/22/2009 - 23:29

Hey guys. I apologize for the delay since my last post. I've been focused on the next update. It has a huge change log with many things that need playtesting.

One issue I've been trying to tackle in this patch is the organization of recipes. Most would agree that they are pretty disorganized right now, especially the 5th shop. With the addition of some items in 6.60 and the overdue need to organize the shops, I've been working on sorting them. I'm looking for input on organization approaches, as well as thoughts on the matter in general, so feel free to drop me a line. I might post a few screenshots of the shop layouts here.

Another extra tidbit of information, regarding Linken's Sphere: many abilities have now been rewritten to provide better compatibility. This has been one of the most requested items to fix, so I have given it some much needed attention. While there are still some spells that do not interact well with it, there are many more that do now.
    This update has been taking much longer than I had originally hoped for, but rest assured I won't take a minute longer than absolutely necessary.

Visit IceFrog's Blog.

• Pyro.Dynamics-'s Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P6T Deluxe (Intel X-58 Based)
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 945
      • RAM:
      • OCZ Gold 6 GB (3 x 2GB), 1600 MHz
      • Hard Drive:
      • SeaGate 1TB 7200 RPM
      • Graphics Card:
      • XFX 9800GTX+ 1GB X2 = 2GB SLI
      • Display:
      • Sony Bravia 46"
      • Sound Card:
      • Intel SoundMAX Built-in 7.1 SmartCard
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Microlab 5.1 Surround
      • Keyboard:
      • Razer Anansi
      • Mouse:
      • Razer Naga Molten Edition
      • Controller:
      • XBOX 360 Controller
      • Power Supply:
      • Thermaltake 850W
      • Optical Drive:
      • Zinger Burger
      • UPS:
      • MICRO
      • Operating System:
      • Windows Vista Ultimate x58
      • Comment:
      • Cooler - CoolerMAster V8; Casing - Thermaltake M9
      • ISP:
      • Link3 1 Mbps
      • Download Speed:
      • 110-140 KBps
      • Upload Speed:
      • 40-60 KB
      • Console:

I think I'll love the Scepter change!!

Steene / Lightstrike - Level 80 Rogue/Paladin - Bloodcraft Blizzclone US
    Anestean - Level 80 Paladin - AlphaWoW EU
    Pyro.Dynam1cs - Garena - Main competitive account
    DietPepsicola - Garena - Trolling, "secret" pub owning account.

I think i will be lost in the changes... and i'll love getting lost.

Warcraft 1.24 and Beyond

Submitted by IceFrog on Thu, 05/07/2009 - 01:21

In the near future there will be important updates to the Warcraft 3 engine. I know there are various communities around the world that still use the 1.20 patch. However, it is important to the development of DotA for players to have the latest Blizzard patches (http://www.blizzard.com/us/patches/). There will always be new security features as well as map development functionality in future patches to provide a better experience for everyone and the game needs to be able to utilize them. This is mainly directed towards the net cafes that have automatic software that prevents changes from being done. Only the net cafes' owners (through the requests of users) can update the locked systems they have in place that prevents new software from being installed. So please make an effort to tell your local net cafes about this so they can be ready.

On a different note; here is a preview of the new recipe shop layout based on the emails I got. The goals are both to make room for the recently added items and more importantly to organize them in a manner that makes correctly guessing where an item is an easy task for both existing and new players alike.

I know none of us like to relearn item layouts, but this is a good thing to do for the long run. Take some time to review it and give me your feedback. Thanks for everyone that has already emailed me their ideas on this.

---------- Post added at 10:48 ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 ----------

Visit IceFrog's Blog.

VIP Member
    • 's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • RAM:
      • 6GB (2+4 GB) DIMM DDR3 1333Mhz
      • Hard Drive:
      • 500GB SATA II 7200RPM
      • Graphics Card:
      • NVIDIA GT335M 1GB
      • Display:
      • Primary 11.6", Secondary 20"
      • Controller:
      • Logitech RP2
      • Operating System:
      • Genuine Windows(R) 7 Home Premium 64bit
      • ISP:
      • Qubee
      • Download Speed:
      • 128kBps
      • Upload Speed:
      • 128kBps

ekhonkar shop layout noob-friendly na.. but tao ekhonkar tai valo.. modified ta beshi noob-friendly lagtese

Protectorate ee to ar space ee nie..

DotA Website News

Submitted by IceFrog on Thu, 05/14/2009 - 22:13

As a result of some differences, I am no longer affiliated with the dota-allstars.com website. I want to take this opportunity to wish everyone over there the best of luck in the future.

I still plan on continuing DotA development for a long time, a couple years at the very least. The next update, 6.60, is nearing the end of its design and testing phase. The translation phase will also be starting shortly. There is still a little bit more work to do on fixing some specific content, but it's finally approaching completion. I will post another update here in the near future.

As of today, I am starting a new community site for DotA. I think it is more valuable to the players though if I focus most of my time on developing and improving the game, so I'm here to reach out and ask for help on this. I believe that with some organization, the community has some very talented people that can help build a site to serve their interests and needs. Help can come in many different forms: programming, design, technical support, content contributions, etc. My goal is to have a format where everyone that wants to help can contribute in a productive way.

If you are interested in being involved, please send me an email at [email protected]

Visit IceFrog's Blog.

6.60 Info

Submitted by IceFrog on Fri, 05/29/2009 - 00:43

First, I want to thank everyone for their emails in the past week or so. Things have been kind of hectic lately. Even though I usually don't like to give a schedule, you guys have been very patient. My plan is to release 6.60 in early June and I am doing my best to make sure that there are no further delays. If a feature or change still needs more work, I'll try to save it for the next version instead so I can get this in your hands asap.

Here is a list of a few of the things to expect in 6.60. There will be many new items (at least 5) and improvements or remakes to current items. You can also expect lots of ability changes on old heroes, a couple hero remakes and a new hero or two.

A new regeneration system for structures will be active only when they are attacked without creeps/corpses nearby (more detailed infomation on the mechanics for this in the changelog). Naturally there will be the usual balance, bug and visual fixes that come with every update. That is just a brief summary; there are a lot more interesting miscellaneous changes and features, but I'll save the rest for the changelog.

As always, feel free to let me know what things you do and don't like, feedback and suggestions are very important to me. Thanks again for the patience and I hope you guys enjoy the map.

Visit IceFrog's Blog.

Here it comes

Submitted by IceFrog on Tue, 06/09/2009 - 18:39

Hey guys. I plan on uploading 6.60 tonight or early tomorrow unless a critical issue occurs, but right now it looks very likely.
    I'll edit this post here with another update in a few hours

Visit IceFrog's Blog.

Final 6.60 Update

Submitted by IceFrog on Tue, 06/09/2009 - 22:03

Alright, everything is going smooth so far and nothing major discovered. I'll start uploading it to all the mirrors very soon. I'm doing a final proofread on the changelog right now as well, and then I'll post it on getdota.com

Thanks to everyone that helped test this version and to all the players that have sent me their feedback and requests in. There are many changes in this patch, some depend on the other one, so you'll need to play it a bit to get a good idea for how things play out in practice. That being said, don't hesitate to give me your first impressions and your overall feelings towards the update. There will probably be a 6.60b or a 6.61 to quickly following this one, so let me know any mistakes you find or any suggestions for stuff to change.

A few weeks ago I asked for help on for a new website. Thanks to all the effort of the community and volunteers, it has made very good progress. I've decided to reveal a public beta of the website to you guys today as well. It still needs more work and it will have bugs, but it seems like it would be appropriate to do it today and get a bigger group of people testing it and helping us with it.

Mission statement http://www.playdota.com/about
    Feedback & Help: http://www.playdota.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34

Update: The website will probably be a bit slow for the next few days as it gets properly configured and the bugs worked out.

Update 2: The map and logs have been released, but something unusual from the regular release traffic is sending mass permanent connections and locking up getdota.com from regular users. Trying to find solutions to stop the spam attack now.

Visit IceFrog's Blog.

• SP.Sn4k3y-'s Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • ECS
      • CPU:
      • Core 2 Duo
      • RAM:
      • 4 GB
      • Hard Drive:
      • 1500 GB
      • Graphics Card:
      • ATI 4650
      • Display:
      • Samsung 15" CTY
      • Sound Card:
      • Built In
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Kamasonic
      • Keyboard:
      • Razer Lycosa
      • Mouse:
      • Razer Deathadder
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • ISP:
      • IS Pros
      • Download Speed:
      • 25 KB/sec
      • Upload Speed:
      • 60 KB/Sec

coool
    Thnx
    kabir_sharif2000 kabir_sharif2000

6.61 Development

Submitted by IceFrog on Mon, 06/15/2009 - 12:15

I've started working on this on last Saturday. It will be a fast patch aimed at balance improvements. Let me know what things you feel need changes.

Visit IceFrog's Blog.