User Tag List

Thread: When to Upgrade or Buy a New Video Card?

• babu.'s Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte H81 S2PV/ Gigabyte B75 D3V
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 4590/ i5 3470
      • RAM:
      • 8 GB Adata XPG 1600 @ CL9/ 8 GB Team
      • Hard Drive:
      • 3 TB WD Blue
      • Graphics Card:
      • Shaphire R9 270X VaporX
      • Display:
      • LG 22'' mp65HQ/ Dell 17''
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Altec VS4621, Skullcandy INK,D airphone
      • Power Supply:
      • Tharmaltake TR2 600w/ TT LP 430w
      • USB Devices:
      • Transcend 2TB Portable HDD
      • UPS:
      • None
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10, 7(64 bit)
      • Benchmark Scores:
      • CPU - 7.6, Ram - 7.7, GPU 7.9, HDD - 5.9
      • ISP:
      • Banglalion

Default When to Upgrade or Buy a New Video Card?

Graphics Card Hierarchy as of January 2013: Who’s on Top?

The graphics card hierarchy below is true and updated as of January 2013. Some may look at it as a “graphics card ranking” or a “video card rankings“. But they are basically the same. The models in the chart are based on the manufacturer’s default specifications. Meaning the cards indicated below are not the “super clock version” or overclocked version. They are reference cards.

The chart below is also based on the video card’s performance. Meaning the first card mentioned in the column is the fastest card to date. They are not based on prices. You might find a video card below positioned at a lower level but are priced higher.

How can the graphics card hierarchy help you, or how can it help you decide better? Since there are tons of graphics card out there in the market, with different customizations or factory settings, the chart below will show you what card performs better. It does not follow that a newer graphics card or the latest generation video card performs better than the later. Sometimes (but not always) getting the previous generation card is a better option, perhaps because they have price/performance ratio. Check out their rankings below.

By the way, I did not include the very out dated graphics card. The chart starts (below) with the GeForce 8800 series card and HD 2000/3000 series.

Graphics Card Hierarchy 2013

http://whatswithjeff.com/graphics-ca...-january-2013/

When to Upgrade or Buy a New Video Card?

People have different answers and opinions about this question. Basically, if you have the money, then it’s not really a problem. You can get any card that you want. But this is not the case for most of us. I always do a lot of research first on a particular graphics card before buying one. So here is my answer or opinion about when should you upgrade or buy a new graphics card.

When upgrading from one graphics card to another, I would suggest you get the card that is at least two levels higher than your current graphics card. For example, you currently own a Geforce GTX 260 and you want to upgrade. You can go for a GTX 560/650 Ti or a Radeon HD 5850 and above. Otherwise, when you upgrade to a card with just 1 level higher, you won’t probably see or feel any difference at all.

This is the same with buying a parallel card. For example you currently own a GTX 650 Ti and you want to “upgrade” to an HD 5850. That’s not “upgrading” at all, because you just bought a card with a similar or very close performance to your previous card. Literally you didn’t upgrade. You just switched from one company to another. Unless you have a special reason of doing this.

Another tip is buy a new graphics card when it’s really time to get a new one. If your card dies or you can’t play the latest games anymore, or gives you a lower frame rate, then you definitely need to get a new and higher one.

Just remember, in buying a graphics card, these are the two major things you need to consider -> price and performance.
    Last edited by babu.; February 7th, 2013 at 01:36.

• rabbyx7's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H rev1.1
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i3 3220 3.3ghz
      • RAM:
      • A-Data XPG 1600MHz DDR3 4x 2GB = 8GB
      • Hard Drive:
      • Western Digital 500GB 7200rpm 3gb/s; Western Digital Cavier Blue 1TB; Transcend 500GB USB 3.0
      • Graphics Card:
      • SAPPHIRE HD 7870 2GB GDDR5 DUAL-X OC GHZ EDITION
      • Display:
      • Sony Bravia 32inch FULL HD LED; Asus VX229h 21.5 FULL HD IPS
      • Sound Card:
      • REALTEK HIGH DEFINITION
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Thermeltek Esports Shock Spin Blazing Red
      • Keyboard:
      • MERCURY 8X00
      • Mouse:
      • SKYTECH
      • Controller:
      • Xbox One Wireless Controller
      • Power Supply:
      • Cooler Master V550 550W 80+ Gold
      • Optical Drive:
      • ASUS 18X DVD ROM
      • USB Devices:
      • Banglalion WIMAX
      • UPS:
      • APOLLO
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64bit Ultimate
      • Benchmark Scores:
      • Comment:
      • HAPPY :)
      • ISP:
      • Banglalion WIMAX
      • Download Speed:
      • Upload Speed:
      • 24KBPS
      • Console:

Quote Originally Posted by BABU* View Post
    Graphics Card Hierarchy as of January 2013: Who’s on Top?

The graphics card hierarchy below is true and updated as of January 2013. Some may look at it as a “graphics card ranking” or a “video card rankings“. But they are basically the same. The models in the chart are based on the manufacturer’s default specifications. Meaning the cards indicated below are not the “super clock version” or overclocked version. They are reference cards.

The chart below is also based on the video card’s performance. Meaning the first card mentioned in the column is the fastest card to date. They are not based on prices. You might find a video card below positioned at a lower level but are priced higher.

How can the graphics card hierarchy help you, or how can it help you decide better? Since there are tons of graphics card out there in the market, with different customizations or factory settings, the chart below will show you what card performs better. It does not follow that a newer graphics card or the latest generation video card performs better than the later. Sometimes (but not always) getting the previous generation card is a better option, perhaps because they have price/performance ratio. Check out their rankings below.

By the way, I did not include the very out dated graphics card. The chart starts (below) with the GeForce 8800 series card and HD 2000/3000 series.

Graphics Card Hierarchy 2013

http://whatswithjeff.com/graphics-ca...-january-2013/

When to Upgrade or Buy a New Video Card?

People have different answers and opinions about this question. Basically, if you have the money, then it’s not really a problem. You can get any card that you want. But this is not the case for most of us. I always do a lot of research first on a particular graphics card before buying one. So here is my answer or opinion about when should you upgrade or buy a new graphics card.

When upgrading from one graphics card to another, I would suggest you get the card that is at least two levels higher than your current graphics card. For example, you currently own a Geforce GTX 260 and you want to upgrade. You can go for a GTX 560/650 Ti or a Radeon HD 5850 and above. Otherwise, when you upgrade to a card with just 1 level higher, you won’t probably see or feel any difference at all.

This is the same with buying a parallel card. For example you currently own a GTX 650 Ti and you want to “upgrade” to an HD 5850. That’s not “upgrading” at all, because you just bought a card with a similar or very close performance to your previous card. Literally you didn’t upgrade. You just switched from one company to another. Unless you have a special reason of doing this.

Another tip is buy a new graphics card when it’s really time to get a new one. If your card dies or you can’t play the latest games anymore, or gives you a lower frame rate, then you definitely need to get a new and higher one.

Just remember, in buying a graphics card, these are the two major things you need to consider -> price and performance.
    I have a sapphire 6670 gddr5 running with a generic psu.... which card should I consider as a upgrade of level 2?

• @bhi's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 4670k
      • RAM:
      • Samsung 30nm 2x4GB
      • Hard Drive:
      • WD10EZEX 1 TB + Seagate 120GB
      • Graphics Card:
      • Gigabyte HD7950 3GB WF3
      • Display:
      • Samsung 20" LED BX-2035
      • Sound Card:
      • Creative SoundBlaster Z
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Microlab Solo 7C
      • Keyboard:
      • Logitech K-120
      • Mouse:
      • Logitech mx518
      • Controller:
      • XBOX 360 wireless controller
      • Power Supply:
      • Seasonic X-650 km3 80+ Gold
      • UPS:
      • Luminous Solo 1200 VA
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 x64
      • ISP:
      • Link3 512kbps
      • Download Speed:
      • ~60
      • Upload Speed:
      • ~55

^^ at least a 7790 or better 7850

Tomshardware r Hierarchy Chart much better :/

Banned
    • Ghz's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z77A-G41 (Cooler Master Storm Enforcer)
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 2400 @ 3.10Ghz (Stock)
      • RAM:
      • Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 - 1600
      • Hard Drive:
      • Samsung F3 1TB | WD 500GB USB 3.0
      • Graphics Card:
      • Asus GTX 660 2GB GDDR5
      • Display:
      • DELL LED E1912H (Dual Monitor Setup)
      • Sound Card:
      • Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 7.1
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Creative SBS A520 5.1 | a4tech HS100
      • Keyboard:
      • Logitech (Call of Duty) - MW3 Edition
      • Mouse:
      • Razer DeathAdder Wired Optical With SteelSeries QCK Mass
      • Controller:
      • Logic Gamepad
      • Power Supply:
      • Corsair 750w
      • Optical Drive:
      • Asus DVD-RW | Sony Combo
      • USB Devices:
      • 500GB WD USB 3.0 | 8GB Transcend
      • UPS:
      • Powerpac (1200VA)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 x64 & Windows 7 x64 (Dual Boot)
      • Comment:
      • My World ! My Life (-_-)

7790 will be a good update or GTX660