User Tag List

Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Bitcoin as a long term investment a good idea?

  1. #1

    Default Bitcoin as a long term investment a good idea?

    As the title says, I want to know what you people think of bitcoin as an investment. Sure there are risks and bitcoin is unpredictable but we can always take an educated gamble after associating the risks. So far based on what I understand stuff that can destroy the value of bitcoin are
    1) flaws withing the whole bitcoin and blockchain method itself that hasn't come to highlight yet.
    2) Any kind security breach of the bitcoin and it's ledger ( for example a hacker manages to make a mass number of population own a fake ledger)
    3) Majority of the government banning bitcoins.

    Are there other risks? What are the chances of the risks from occuring that I just mentioned above?

    Before anyone comes up and says 'Bitcoin is illegal in BD' and shouldn't be discussed here, my sister will be the owner of the coins who resides in canada and I am sure some knowledge on bitcoin doesnt hurt.

    Btw she is planning to buy 0.5 to 1 bitcoins.

    - - - Updated - - -

    bump..

  2. #2
    Member
    • Fox Mulder's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock Z77M
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 2500K @4.5 GHz
      • RAM:
      • G.Skill ARES 2400 MHz 8GBx2
      • Hard Drive:
      • ADATA SU650 240GB
      • Graphics Card:
      • AMD RX 570 4GB 1300/1750 1.03v
      • Display:
      • Philips 191EL 19" LED
      • Sound Card:
      • Realtek ALC898
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • GAMDIAS Hephaestus P1
      • Keyboard:
      • Corsair K70 RGB
      • Mouse:
      • Logitech B100
      • Power Supply:
      • Thermaltake Smart 650W Modular
      • Optical Drive:
      • Samsung DVD Writer
      • UPS:
      • Spark Power (!) 1200VA
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Build 10162
      • Comment:
      • It gets the job done!
      • ISP:
      • Skylark
      • Download Speed:
      • 5 Mbps
      • Upload Speed:
      • 5 Mbps
    Fox Mulder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    I don't live in a city.
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Without delving deep into this matter, I'd simply say that it's not a good investment, specially long term.

    With exchanges folding/scamming all the time, buying and holding on to Bitcoin is an even worse idea as the price fluctuates all the time.

  3. #3
    Member
    • Trave160's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B350M Mortar AM4
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 1600
      • RAM:
      • 16GB DDR4 3000Mhz
      • Hard Drive:
      • 3TB Western Digital red
      • Graphics Card:
      • ASUS Strix GTX 960 4G
      • Display:
      • Dell S2216H 22 Inch monitor
      • Sound Card:
      • None
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Logitech Speaker
      • Keyboard:
      • TtEsports Knucker
      • Controller:
      • PS4 Dualshock 4 controller
      • Power Supply:
      • Thermaltake Smart SE 630W Modular
      • Optical Drive:
      • Samsung 24X DVD-RW Drive(Defunct)
      • USB Devices:
      • Pendrive 4GB
      • UPS:
      • Power Tree 1250VA
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64bit
      • Comment:
      • Toaster rig arisen to Ultra toaster with chisel abs.
      • ISP:
      • NunuCom Ltd, Penus group
      • Download Speed:
      • Super San 200kbps
      • Upload Speed:
      • 105*2
      • Console:
      • 130
    Trave160's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    A Secure Area
    Posts
    7,791

    Default

    Well I write at a curators site where I earn cryptocurrency as points, I do wanna know how I use the exchange market and get money out of this

    - - - Updated - - -

    Well I write at a curators site where I earn cryptocurrency as points, I do wanna know how I use the exchange market and get money out of this

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fox Mulder View Post
    Without delving deep into this matter, I'd simply say that it's not a good investment, specially long term.

    With exchanges folding/scamming all the time, buying and holding on to Bitcoin is an even worse idea as the price fluctuates all the time.
    I can use a offline bitcoin wallet and buy bitcoins via reputed escrow or local sellers (if any). That isn't the problem. Assuming I buy a bitcoin now and keep it for three years. The price should theoretically increase unless there are problems like the one I mentioned above right? We are still in the early stages of bitcoin and if people accept bitcoin as a asset and a good means of payment then the price is bound to increase. If people don't then it should decrease. What do you have to say about that?

  5. #5
    Member
    • Arz's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • msi Z87-GD65 inside Corsair Carbide 300R Windowed Edition
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 Devil's Canyon with CM Hyper 212X
      • RAM:
      • G.Skill TridentX 8GB DDR3
      • Hard Drive:
      • Transcend SSD720, WDC20EZRX, WDC 10EZEX, WDC 5000AAKX
      • Graphics Card:
      • msi gaming x rx480
      • Display:
      • Viewsonic VX2270S 21.5'' IPS LED + Philips
      • Sound Card:
      • Realtek ALC 1150 with Creative SBC
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Piston 3 (Dead), Iron Ring Pro, Iron Ring HD
      • Keyboard:
      • Logitech K120, Blackwidow X Chroma
      • Mouse:
      • Bloody A6, Logitech M557
      • Controller:
      • Xbox 360 (Dead)
      • Power Supply:
      • CM V650 Semi-Modular (80+ gold, active PFC)
      • Optical Drive:
      • Asus
      • USB Devices:
      • WD My Passport, My Passport Ultra
      • UPS:
      • Powerguard 1200 volt-ampere simulated sinewave
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit / Windows 10
      • Benchmark Scores:
      • - ? -
      • Comment:
      • So... many... X
      • ISP:
      • Link3
      • Download Speed:
      • ~500KBps
      • Upload Speed:
      • 1/2 of download
    Arz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Dhaka
    Posts
    250

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fahim1rocks View Post
    As the title says, I want to know what you people think of bitcoin as an investment. Sure there are risks and bitcoin is unpredictable but we can always take an educated gamble after associating the risks. So far based on what I understand stuff that can destroy the value of bitcoin are
    1) flaws withing the whole bitcoin and blockchain method itself that hasn't come to highlight yet.
    2) Any kind security breach of the bitcoin and it's ledger ( for example a hacker manages to make a mass number of population own a fake ledger)
    3) Majority of the government banning bitcoins.

    Are there other risks? What are the chances of the risks from occuring that I just mentioned above?

    The idea of virtual currency- one that's not regulated by central banks is here to stay, no matter how much central banks and people like James Dimon hate it. But if asked specifically about bitcoin, I'm less optimistic about it. Cryptocurrency still isn't mature enough; mistakes will be made and people will lose confidence in it, but lessons will also be learned and eventually it'll be mature enough to be accepted widely.

    Now, about your concerns:
    1. While the blockchain itself is pretty robust, there certainly exists coding flaws that's yet to be discovered. No software is bug free, as Parity recently found out the hard way.
    2. It's unlikely due to how blockchain works, but if it happens, maybe they can do a hard fork and pretend it never happened.
    3. This is a real possibility and a highly likely one, as demonstrated by China. Let's see how exchanges handle that.

  6. #6
    Moderator
    • minitt's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Sabertooth Z170 S
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 6700K
      • RAM:
      • Corsair Vengence 3200mhz White Led
      • Hard Drive:
      • Samsung 970 EVO 1TB+ 830 (128GB)+2TB mech HDD
      • Graphics Card:
      • Evga 1080 TI Sc 11GB
      • Display:
      • Samsung KS8000 55"
      • Sound Card:
      • On board
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Yamaha Reference Monitor
      • Keyboard:
      • Logitech G710+
      • Mouse:
      • Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum
      • Power Supply:
      • Antec HCG-620M Modular
      • Optical Drive:
      • Nai
      • UPS:
      • dont need 1
      • Operating System:
      • Genuine Windows 10
      • ISP:
      • TELUS optical
      • Download Speed:
      • 75Mbps
      • Upload Speed:
      • 30mbps
    minitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    dhaka
    Posts
    4,259

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fox Mulder View Post
    Without delving deep into this matter, I'd simply say that it's not a good investment, specially long term.

    With exchanges folding/scamming all the time, buying and holding on to Bitcoin is an even worse idea as the price fluctuates all the time.
    plus the founder of bitcoin satoshi nakamoto holds 5 billion dollar worth of bitcoin representing almost 5% of total bitcoin. So he/she holds the capability to manipulate bitcoin value any time.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by _batman View Post
    The idea of virtual currency- one that's not regulated by central banks is here to stay, no matter how much central banks and people like James Dimon hate it. But if asked specifically about bitcoin, I'm less optimistic about it. Cryptocurrency still isn't mature enough; mistakes will be made and people will lose confidence in it, but lessons will also be learned and eventually it'll be mature enough to be accepted widely.

    Now, about your concerns:
    1. While the blockchain itself is pretty robust, there certainly exists coding flaws that's yet to be discovered. No software is bug free, as Parity recently found out the hard way.
    2. It's unlikely due to how blockchain works, but if it happens, maybe they can do a hard fork and pretend it never happened.
    3. This is a real possibility and a highly likely one, as demonstrated by China. Let's see how exchanges handle that.
    Thanks a lot man. I read about bitcoins a lot but still find it hard sometimes to grasp the whole concept like what determines the amount of payment received by miners and how limited the total supply of bitcoin is. I find it very surprising that china banning bitcoin hasn't affected the price at all. I believe the big blow to bitcoin will be if US bans it one day.
    I just bought 150 dollars worth of coin in coinbase to dip my toe into crypto currency and will transfer them to gdax soon for trading. The market is very volatile. Lets see how it goes.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by minitt View Post
    plus the founder of bitcoin satoshi nakamoto holds 5 billion dollar worth of bitcoin representing almost 5% of total bitcoin. So he/she holds the capability to manipulate bitcoin value any time.
    I don't think it matters that much considering the value of bitcoin right now is very volatile and can easily fall and rise to more than 20% at its current state. In the long term prices might reach 100k or drop to 1/20th its current value if it doesn't catch on and a 5-10% change in value wouldn't really mean much.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Page generated in 0.19871 seconds with 13 queries.