So I got an SII from GnG on Nov 2011 for 43k. It was going fine until two weeks back the touch screen started acting up. And now it does not work at all. I have got 3 more SIIs from them. None of them have any problems what so ever.
So far I have tried:
1. Installed multiple OSs including CM and stock with different kernels - Did not budge. Looks like a hardware problem
2. Opened it up and reconnected all the ribbons after cleaning - Did not work. Connectivity is not a problem. Moreover there is one cable for the digitizer and AMOLED screen. So if the contact was faulty I would have got screen problem too.
Odd part is I have never seen or heard or read in the internet that this happens. There are thousands of cases where the front glass is shattered, in some cases even the digitizer and AMOLED screen is also shattered, but the touch still works. In my case, there is no damage to the glass or anything , the touch just stopped working.
So went to Samsung customer care, these guys want 19k to fix this phone. i was outraged, but came back home and looked it up. The replacement part costs around 114 GBP. Which is like 15k. SII has easy enough internals. I can fix it myself if I get the part.
Problem is, the AMOLED screen, digitizer and front glass is glued together. It is not possible to separate them. So you have to replace all three. And thats why its so expensive.
Looks like fixing this might not be an option.
So what I want from you guys
1. Do you guys know anywhere I can fix this. Ideally I want a AMOLED screen with Gorilla glass front. Not a Chinese copy. But might have to change this criteria
2. Do you guys have or know someone who have a faulty i9100 or i9100p or i9100g. I need the display assembly. If it works I want it. Does not matter if it is water damaged or does not have signal or stuff like that. I am willing to pay a reasonable amount.
3. If there is some one brave enough to allow me to disassemble their working SII and swap screens with mine to check. No high hope for this one though.
Might have to get a good android phone if this does not work. Maybe later. Lets see what this thread does.
Or I can just ebay this as faulty and harvest whatever I can. But this sill require around 2.5k shipping alone.