• Benchmark Scores:
      • 0-2 !! or something Shitty
      • Comment:
      • Old is Gold
      • Download Speed:
      • Upload Speed:

Default Strategy : How to Gruntapult : Simplifying Warcraft

COLLECTED :

This is Not My own Work...its Done by Mathew (UK) a 18 year boy...
    now a days he is Irregular & trying to admit himself in some UNI...God Bless him....

How to Gruntapult: Simplifying Warcraft

RedRagToAnOrc

Contents

a. Introduction

i) "Who the hell are you, and why should I listen to you?"

ii) "What is this Gruntapult thing and why does it work?"

iii) "Can I g0 pr0 with this strategy?"

iv) "Can I be a one-strat n00b like you and use it against every race?"

v) "Anything else I should know before I read on?"

b. The Basics

i) Basic Build Order

ii) Basic Basics

iii) Basic Hero Combinations

iv) Basic Unit Combinations (apart from the, well, obvious)

v) Basic Strategy

c. The Races

i) Gruntapulting against Night-Elf

ii) Gruntapulting against Human

iii) Gruntapulting against Undead

iv) Gruntapulting against Orc

v) A note on Gruntapulting against Random

d. Extra Resources

i) Stuff

a. Introduction

So I've got two days until I go away and I thought I'd leave you all something to chew on while I'm gone. Basically, this is designed to be a pretty comprehensive guide to everyone's (read: my) favourite strategy, Gruntapult. It's intended to be a bit tongue-in-cheek, but hopefully I'll get my points across. So, without further ado;

i. "Who the hell are you, and why should I listen to you?"

I'm RedRagToAnOrc and I've been commentating here for a year now, in addition to playing Warcraft for four years, three of them seriously and with a four month break to play Command and Conquer 3 (a game which sucks).

As for why you should listen to me, well, you don't have to. I'm a modest person, I've never boasted of my playing strength because I honestly don't know what it is. However, I have been using this strategy pretty much consistently against varying different races for over two years, so even if I don't have much understanding of the game, I at least like to think I know the ins and outs of this strategy and its variants after such a length of time.

So in conclusion, you don't have to listen to me if you don't want to, but if you're reading this guide, then it's likely you want to find out more.

ii. "What is this Gruntapult thing and why does it work?"

Gruntapult has been around pretty much since the dawn of Warcraft 3, and used to be a very popular strategy amongst a number of players, notably Dayfly, who I believe (I wasn't watching back then) adapted it and straight teched to tier 3, researching the Fortified Defenses upgrade and towering his opponent with three heroes. Elakeduck also used to use it from time to time, with varying degrees of success.

While I don't do this anymore (and other people rarely do), variants of Gruntapult are still around and there's a minority who faithfully follow it.

Gruntapult, as the name might suggest, consists primarily of two units, both built from the Orc Barracks - the Grunt and the Demolisher (Catapult back in RoC). As the Demolisher is only available at tier 2, it involves a simple bread-and-butter Orc tech and then a second hero in addition to your first.

One of the main strengths of Gruntapult is that you'll mainly be using units and heroes that are strong early on in the game and early on at tier 2. While your opponent has relatively little to focus them with, Demolishers are very strong, especially against early tier 2 units such as Dryads, Druids of the Talon and Sorceresses. This is when you'll be pushing your advantage - at early tier 2, when you have strong units and your opponent is either teching or just getting tier 2 out.

Obviously, the main weakness of Gruntapult is air units and this is one of the main reasons why you push as early as possible at tier 2 - because your opponent will rarely have a large number of air units out and so they'll never really come into the equation. Should your push be slowed and the other person goes for air, (eg. Wyverns, Gargoyles, or in more extreme cases, Gryphons,) then you'll have a few more things to worry about, but there are ways to counter it and I'll detail these over the course of the guide as well.

Another strength - one that you'll definitely be able to rely on at lower levels - is people will rarely see this coming. Now I say at lower levels, because at higher levels you'll need to be much more crafty to prevent your opponent from overly preparing for it. If a Level 25-30 player scouts your base and sees two Barracks, he'll think you've gone for two Barracks. If a Level 40 player scouts your base and sees two Barracks, he'll think you're tower pushing him and prepare accordingly. Now, this isn't a bona fide rule - some 40s have no idea how to counter it, but as an acquaintance of mine once said;

So don't rely on being able to get away with this all the time if you're 40+. But then again, if you're 40+, you probably won't be reading this guide!

But the main thing to remember is that Gruntapult generally simplifies the game, as the title of this guide implies. Your push will usually end the game, either way, in ten minutes. That's taking another (at least) five to ten minutes off a standard game, which essentially removes all the later tier 2, tier 3, expanding and large army micro/macro. It's keeping the armies below 50 food and finishing the game before it gets more complicated, which is why I like it so much.

iii. "Can I g0 pr0 with this strategy?"

No.

If you want an explanation, then fine. If you were to use this strategy day in, day out against every race, to absolutely perfect your build, execution and micro, you still wouldn't make the pro circuit, probably not even the upper leagues. Why? Because at these levels, people remember your name and prepare.

Let's say you start an account on a gateway and get it to rank 3, only ever using Gruntapult. You'll get quite a bit of exposure and you'll probably be playing much the same people, especially at the top of the ladder, over and over again. They will remember your name and see it coming. Now, I'm not saying it's impossible to overcome this "preparation" from your opponents - Tak3r did that pretty admirably back in the day - just don't expect to make the top of the ladder only ever using one strategy.

iv. "Can I be a one-strat n00b like you and use it against every race?"

By all means.

I prefer to think of Gruntapult as a tool to be used against races you're having trouble with. I could never beat Elf playing normally (and I still can't) so I started using Gruntapult against them and I still use it today. It's a potential solution to a problem and if you have problems with every race, then by all means use it against every race. I know I do.

v. "Anything else I should know before I read on?"

Firstly, prepare to be flamed and flamed badly, again and again and again. For some reason, some cookie cutters think that their strategy is the best and no other strategy should grace the battlefields of the game. It's important to remember that these people are newbs, but when you encounter somebody who can't face losing to a strategy that's "more cheesy than that cheesy-crusted four cheeses pizza I had last night" then they will, almost certainly, shout and scream and wail at you. But hey, you get the moral victory.

Secondly, it takes a certain kind of player to be good at Gruntapult. Now once again, I'm not boasting. It takes a certain kind of player to be good at anything. Al-Qaida, NC.Dude and AKM are all very good at what they do, spawning legions of followers in some cases, but you can't just go impersonating them and making the top of the ladder.

To be a good Gruntapulter, you need;

-- Imagination: Don't just tower in the same place. Tower where they can fire over trees. Sneak tower. Tower in the back of their base. Build an offensive shop if your opponent is hero focusing and if you're low on wood, build a War Mill in their base. Improvise. Anything that will win you the game.

-- Micro: You need to be able to micro and not just attack move. This may seem like an insult to some elf players, but you know who you are. If you like to go straight to 80 food and attack move, think again. In a tower push, the player with the better micro usually wins. Other factors obviously come into play, but micro is a huge one.

-- Faith: Have faith in your strategy! So he scouted your second Barracks or took it down during construction, big deal. So he's towering up, big deal. So he's got a Level 3 Archmage and you're at Level 1, big deal. So he's putting up seven AoWs, (it's happened,) big deal. Rarely will you need to go for an entirely different unit combination.

-- Be Sneaky: So long as it's not cheating, don't be afraid to use it. Hiding your second Barracks is common. Sneak towering is very useful when your opponent is only leaving, or likely to leave his base in one direction.

-- Remain Calm: Countless times, I've been down to two heroes and no units and still won. You'd be surprised at the positions from which you can win. Many of your games will look lost and you'll get a spectacular win. Likewise, this can work the other way. I've lost against a DH/Panda before with a 50 food army. When all others are losing their heads, keep yours.

Anyway, on to the guide itself.

b. The Basics

i. Basic Build Order

There aren't many builds when it comes to Gruntapult, in fact there's only one, but it's quite complicated. Don't expect to nail it first time, give it a few games while you get the build into your system or play a few practice games against a friend/the computer. I've been using this build for two years and still make slip-ups!

The build does not differ from the usual two Grunt tech build until after you start your tech, so I'll skip the starting stuff and go straight from the tech to simplify things. Any starting build is okay depending on the hero you've gone for (eg. early shop for Blademaster start).

Main Post-Tech Build

Assuming you've just started tech with two Grunts/Hero

War Mill at 205 Gold

Second Barracks at 180 Gold

Third Grunt at 200 Gold

Third Burrow at 160 Gold

Fourth Grunt at 200 Gold

Fourth Burrow as soon as Third Burrow finishes

---

That'll take you through to the end of your tech, by which point you should have just enough gold and lumber to hire a second hero. Notice I haven't included a shop in the build. This is because you can really get the shop whenever you feel it's appropriate. If you haven't already got it before your tech, then I'd recommend getting it after your third burrow starts, but if you're harassing and your hero is taking serious hits then feel free to get it earlier. It's quite a flexible build, but doesn't allow for losing Grunts, really, because then you'll be down on gold at early tier 2 if you choose to replace them immediately.

Beyond that, it generally doesn't matter what order you get the Grunts and Demolishers in, the important part is the end result - how many of each you have. Common sense applies, though. If you're getting tower pushed, get Demolishers before Grunts.

ii. Basic Basics

Basic basics, you might ask? Well, the stuff I'll be going over in this section is a bit less "basic" than the other stuff, but it's handy to know. You can gloss over it if you'd like. It's basically rules you should keep in mind for general things, like towering (and not usage of specific heroes, which will be covered later). You can gloss over this section if you already feel you know the positioning and tricks you need to tower with. If not, read on, but remember;

All rules are made to be broken!

Don't by any means take these rules as gospel, it's quite possible to break them.

First off, I'm going to go over the positioning of the towers. This one's quite simple to remember, is in three sections and goes as follows.

1. If you're facing melee units, like Ghouls and Grunts, put the towers as close to any nearby trees as possible and bunched up next to each other.

2. If you're facing glaive units, (read: Huntresses,) build the towers with some spacing in between.

3. If you're facing ranged units such as Archers and Fiends, it's a bit more complicated, but the long and short of it is to build the towers out in the open at 800 range to key buildings. With time, your judgement of this distance will improve.

Now, the reasoning - and for this, we will need the power of MS Paint (zomg).

What you're basically doing for each scenario is making it as difficult as possible for the units in question to kill the towers - taking away their advantages. For melee units, the low "surface area" available to them means the towers will go down much more slowly, as this amazing diagram shows;

As you can see, the melee units have difficulty attacking the towers because less of them can attack each tower at once. With peons around the towers repairing, it becomes even more difficult.

For Huntresses, the spacing between the towers means that the Glaives do not reach the next tower, and so they cannot attack more than one tower at once. My artistic talent, once again, is evident.

Finally, for ranged units, (a bit more complex,) they have a dilemma in this scenario. They'll often rely on their base build, using buildings to restrict the movement of melee units. Building the towers at this distance forces them to either move out from behind the buildings (exposing them to worse positioning) or staying behind them and letting the towers go up. In this skilfully drawn diagram, the red dots cannot attack the towers, while the crimson dots have bad positioning.

In case you didn't guess, the blue squares are your towers.

So that's positioning of towers done, next we'll talk about your army's positioning in general. To get straight to the point, while towers are going up, you have the advantage. While towers aren't going up, you don't. Every second your opponent isn't fighting is a wasted second for him and a valuable second for you. It's often said that in a tower push, the defending player has "one minute to win the fight". This is true.

So the next rule? Let your opponent fight when he wants, but not where he wants. Get your position set up, make sure he can't do a quick suicide on the towers by placing your units around them, and then wait for him to leave the safety of his base.

Basic positioning, as you should all really know, is as follows. Your melee units go in the front, siege go behind the towers, peons not constructing towers next to the siege. You can use your peons to attack, but keep them within three seconds' running of the siege at all times, otherwise it's an easy snipe for your opponent.

After you've lured your opponent out of his base, your melee positioning will heavily depend on what units you're fighting against. Against ranged, you'll want to "collapse" your Grunts onto the ranged (move behind and then attack, restricting the escape route for the units and keeping you a good position for a bit longer) - against melee, just make a line of melee and keep the other player's melee from getting to your towers and Demolishers as best you can.

Finally, we have to talk about when to push. The simple rule for this is that you push at 50 food or very near to it, (read: > 42/43,) which is generally the equilibrium point between not having enough units to have an advantage and letting your opponent tech too far. At 50 food, it'll usually be on the verge of the second day - so a standard Elf will be about one to two minutes away from master Talons/Bears, and a Ghouling Undead will be about two minutes away from Destroyers.

However, remember that this rule is not rigid. If your opponent towers, just stick with four Grunts/two Demolishers and push earlier. The time at which you should push is really dependant on how much of an advantage you feel you have, but 50 food or just below it is the usual time.
    iii. Basic Hero Combinations

In this section, I'll go over the numerous hero combinations it's possible to use when Gruntapulting, what races they're good against and what they aren't. I'll start with the most common and move on to more obscure ones later on - I've used them all before at various points, so hopefully not much of this will be theorycraft.

Far Seer/Shadow Hunter

Good against: Elf, Undead (Fiends)
    Okay against: Orc, Undead (Ghouls)
    Bad against: Human

FS/SH is your basic hero combination and the one I started off with. I generally don't stray from it against Elf, I do sometimes use a different combo against Undead though. The main strengths lie in the extra DPS provided by Wolves and Chain Lightning combined with Wards or Hex.

The first skill you take on your Shadow Hunter is usually dependant on the race you're playing against. With Elf, you'll usually want Wards - they're invaluable against Huntresses and against Archers they're decent DPS and not easily taken out without losing positioning.

Against Fiends, you'll be picking Hex - simple Fiend focus/Hex the DK and nick a kill micro. Rinse and repeat and kill as many Fiends as possible. Against Ghouls, SH is less useful, but Wards provide decent DPS.

Less useful against Human, as Human have defended Footmen and high HP Elementals (so the Wards aren't very effective) and Hex is much better against high food units, something which Human players don't use.

Far Seer/Firelord

Good against: Orc
    Okay against: Human, Undead (Ghouls)
    Bad against: Elf, Undead (Fiends)

I've seen Rob use FS/FL against Human before, but I'm frankly unsure of the benefits - there are better combos in my opinion which I'll go over later.

Against Orc, this is a fantastic combination and I use it regularly. Remember that you'll be pushing at early tier 2, when the Orc still has no dispel (unless he goes for Shamen, a possibility but something I rarely see). You'll usually be facing BM/SH, if you're up against FS/FL or FS/SH then the extra Grunts/summons will usually swing it in your favour. Against BM/SH, most players will just mindlessly hero focus, so it's not difficult to simply stock up on a Potion or two and run away, focusing the SH when the Orc loses positioning.

FS/FL rarely has any use beyond the initial push - when dispel comes out, if you still have no towers up the game's pretty much out of reach for you. The basic idea is to use the strength of the push to get up a tower or two and push the advantage from there.

Far Seer/Naga Sea Witch

Good against (situational): Elf, Human, Undead (Ghouls)
    Okay against: Undead (Fiends w/o DK)
    Bad against: Orc, Undead (Fiends)

Taking Naga second is a very situational decision. You'll usually pick her because you've had a fantastic early game, or feel like you can pick off units at early tier 2, because that's what the Naga is good at. If you can force your opponent into fights, or creepjack them, you'll generally get some unit kills. In particular, difficult to micro low-HP units such as Footmen and Archers are prime targets, making the Naga a very good anti-Elf/anti-Human hero.

Also, when facing Elf, they'll usually put their heroes (read: DH) on the line to get a unit kill or a tower kill and the presence of a Naga will make them a bit more cautious, or punish them if they aren't.

Far Seer/Dark Ranger

Good against: Human
    Okay against: Undead (Ghouls), Elf
    Bad against: Undead (Fiends), Orc

FS/DR is my standard vs-Human hero combination, it's just fantastic for pushing Humans full stop. Why? Well, a Human's main defense against towers is Militia, and if you've crept your FS to Level 3 (Level 2 CL please), pick up a DR, CL the Militia and watch in amazement as you instantly get about seven Skeletons. Basically, the more the Human uses Militia, the worse the fight is for him - it evens out the playing field.

It's also important to know how to counter it, so you can take steps to avoid it. Logically, the DR is the only thing keeping the Human from using Militia, so if the Human Bolt-surrounds it or just plain kills it, you're screwed. Make sure to keep the DR as difficult to attack as possible at all times and don't be afraid to sacrifice a unit or two (or some money) to keep it alive.

Blademaster/Shadow Hunter

Good against: Undead (Fiends)
    Okay against: Undead (Ghouls), Elf
    Bad against: Human, Orc

BM/SH is the first of the BM combos, which I have always found to be slightly weaker - I find them to be more useful against Undead than anything else when DPS to take out Fiends, Ghouls and Statues is very useful. In most other situations, I use Far Seer, so I can get a larger meat shield in addition to extra DPS and an AoE spell.

Blademaster/Naga Sea Witch

Good against: Undead (Ghouls)
    Okay against: Human, Elf
    Bad against: Undead (Fiends), Orc

Once again, Naga second is a situational pick - in fact, I've only ever used this hero combination once, when I was facing a Ghouling Undead who went for a later than usual Graveyard. I kept the Graveyard down, and so he was restricted to Ghouls for most of the game and was forced to fight me in order to get the Graveyard up, leading to a demolishing of his Ghouls with my BM/Naga.

Okay, so those are the hero combinations you'll be using when Gruntapulting, now we'll move on to army composition and how many of each unit (and which units) to get.

iv. Basic Unit Combinations (apart from the, well, obvious)

Your unit combination also depends heavily on the race you're playing against and the units the other player goes for. Apart from the rare cases in which you'll want to get Headhunters, which I'll go over a bit later in this section, the main choices revolve around how many Grunts and how many Demolishers to get.

No unit combination is really "bad" against any race, hence the simple statement of which races it's "Good against" instead of Good/Okay/Bad, but some are, I find, better than others for certain situations.

8 Grunts, 1 Demolisher (50 Food)

Good against: Elf (Archers), Orc

Much the same as the 7/2 combo below, the 8/1 combo, as I refer to it, gives you a strong melee line at the expense of little siege, with a standard amount of wood. This makes it quite good against Archers and early tier 2 Orc (notably Raiders) but is much more heavily reliant on towers, and is therefore not so handy where you want two or more Demolishers (such as sieging Undead towers and fighting against Huntresses and casters).

Still worthwhile trying it and if it works for you, then by no means should you be put off using it by my moaning, I just prefer using more siege.

7 Grunts, 2 Demolishers, 1 Less Wood Peon (50 Food)

Good against: Undead (Fiends), Undead (Ghouls), Orc

This combination gives you less lumber for more units, and is therefore good against races where you need more units to make the difference count (as opposed to better units). The 7/2 combo, as it shall henceforth be known, is therefore very useful against Orc, where you need to outnumber your opponent's melee (or outmicro him) and Undead, where lots of Grunts are useful to DPS down the Fiends, while still having two Demolishers allows you to have a nice balance of melee and siege.

Usually, the extra wood peon is lost shortly before you start training your last unit - just scout your opponent's base with it and wait for him to take the bait, or if he doesn't kill it immediately, suicide it to creeps.

6 Grunts, 2 Demolishers, 2 Extra Wood Peons (50 Food)

Good against: Elf (Archers), Human

This is one of my more bread and butter combinations, the 6/2 push. As you'll already have four Grunts immediately after your tech, it's a simple matter of four more units before you push - with two Barracks, this isn't difficult - and you can usually leave your base as the last two units are about halfway done, thereby shortening the time you have to wait and speeding up the push. Getting the extra two peons as you leave your base allows you to safely put up a number of towers and not worry about how much wood you have left.

This results in one of the fastest pushes around and is therefore tremendously useful against races which need a tech, or a considerable amount of tier 2 to be very useful. Therefore, it's useful against Elf (before they get full tier 3 tech) and Human (before they start massing Spell Breakers, which drives most FS combos into the ground).

5 Grunts, 3 Demolishers, 1 Extra Wood Peon (50 Food)

Good against: Elf, Human

Another one of the fastest pushes around and another of my staples, the 5/3 push is much more geared towards countering Huntresses and casters and taking down tier 2 buildings very, very quickly thereby delaying your opponent's tech and tier 2/tier 3 units considerably. In fact, if you're fast and your opponent doesn't TP for ten seconds or so, you can easily stop their entire tier 2 unit production, and in the case of Elf players, prevent their tier 3 upgrades, making your job considerably easier.

The 5/3 push is, as I've mentioned, much better against Huntresses and casters than the 6/2 but really requires an FS to make it work, for the extra melee units - otherwise you're left with quite a weak front line. However, the 5/3 push is really just as respectable as the 6/2 against Archers, so I tend to use the 5/3 more, but it's down to personal preference in all honesty.

When to Use Headhunters

Now, I admit, the sight of Headhunters in a Gruntapult thread may have some of you shaking your heads in disbelief, but unfortunately there are certain situations where you must stray from your beloved two unit combo. Most of these situations involve the usage of air by the opposing player, but it's important to remember that air is easily countered provided you push quite quickly and you see it coming.

Say you're pushing an Orc player who knows you're going Gruntapult, you've harassed his base early tier 2 and you see two Beastiaries. Once again, common sense applies. If you see the following, don't wait to see if he gets air, expect it. After all, if you go Headhunters and he doesn't go air, it's not a disaster.

Elf: Will rarely go air and is difficult to tell, but Faerie Dragons are a possibility if they go Talons. Either take down the AoWs quickly with your Demolishers or get a couple of Headhunters for security after you lose a unit.

Orc: If you see two Beastiaries, expect air.

Undead: If you see a Graveyard and a second Crypt, (especially with no Fiends,) expect air.

Human: If you see Aviaries (a dead giveaway) or a tier 3 tech, expect air.

In these four cases, getting some Headhunters for security is fine. Once again, the rules aren't rigid. If you're suspicious at all, best to get a couple of Headhunters. Better safe than sorry.

v. Basic Strategy

Obviously, there are countless routes a game can take and a guide such as this will not (and cannot) cover them all. So, I'll merely gloss over a few of the possible things you can do in each game. There's pretty much something for everyone early game, so it's pick and choose.

Early on, as I see it, you have two options - creeping or harassing. Creeping to Level 2 and then harassing is a possibility, but in most situations, (except perhaps against a DK/Fiends Undead,) the other player will already have scouted your second Barracks and be attempting to be taking it down, so you won't have much time to harass.

I generally use both routes, there's no real determining factor other than what I feel like (and I think playing the game "how you feel like playing it" is much more enjoyable!). Perhaps I harass more when I'm using BM because I don't see as much of an advantage from creeping as I do with FS, but I usually harass with a BM anyway so I guess it's still "what I feel like".

When I creep, it's usually straight to Level 3 unless I'm interrupted. Level 3 is the key level for almost every hero in the game - the jump in importance from 2 to 3 is rivalled only by the jump from 5 to 6 for most heroes. There's not a huge amount I can say about this, other than to stay as close to your base as is realistically possible and that it's not the end of the world if you don't reach Level 3 by tier 2 so long as your second Barracks, War Mill and Burrows don't go up.

If you're going to harass, do it straight off the bat, because it's much more effective keeping a hero at Level 1 than letting it creep a bit then harassing. This kills three birds with one stone - it keeps their hero low while allowing you to get your buildings up in complete safety, and rarely will they get a scout past your units unless it's already near to your base so they may well not know your push is even happening, let alone on its way.

Assuming you've got past the early game fine, whichever route you picked, make sure you've got access to a shop and sell all the items in your inventory, including your Scroll of TP. There is one exception to this, and this is if you're across the other side of the map and reckon you may yet need it. I've made the mistake of selling my TP immediately before and then getting hit while I'm across the other side of the map. The gold from the TP sell helps greatly, but make sure you don't need it first!

Your opponent will be doing one of two things - attacking you, or creeping. You can safely say he won't be tower pushing you, because if he is, he's usually insane and it's a free win for you. If it's the former, such as in an Orc vs Elf game, then just sit back, get your second hero and defend, because you'll easily have the units with which to fend it off, considering that you're massing units from buildings you already have. If he's doing the latter, you should probably continue with what you were doing before. If you started off creeping, keep creeping, and if you started out with a harass then keep doing it until you have 50 food.

Then, simply heal up and push, following the rules I've already set out in section b/ii. Et voila, the game will be over either way! Of course, it's not quite this simple, there's a lot of things for each individual race that you need to remember, but this is, after all, the "Basic" strategy.

c. The Races

i. Gruntapulting against Night-Elf

Standard Combinations: FS/SH 5/3 push, FS/SH 6/2 push.

I've started off with Night-Elf, because this is the race I find easiest to use the strategy against. My standard unit and hero choices are detailed above - as you can see, they're not tremendously varied, because these are the two I find the most effective and have done for the last two years!

I'll usually go for a 5/3 push against Huntresses and a 6/2 push against Archers, for obvious (and already detailed) reasons. There's a lot of strategies that Elf players can employ and I'll go over some of the more common ones here.

Archers (or Hunts) to Talons, BM Second

Standard Talons are quite easy to deal with, just go Wards on your SH, focus the Talons with your Demolishers and proceed as usual. You can also use Peons as a mini meat shield.

Archers (or Hunts) to Bears

Adept Bears can be troublesome if microed correctly. Try and take the Lores out as quickly as possible with your siege to prevent Master Training being researched and then focus down any Bears when you get the chance. Never focus a full health DH with Rejuv on, because if you don't then the Elf has just all but wasted 125 mana.

Archers (or Hunts) to Dryads

Much the same as standard Talons, just spam Wards and focus down the Dryads with your siege while putting up towers or using the Peons as an extra meat shield.

Dual AoW Hunts

Don't panic! Remember that thing I said about remaining calm? This is one of those moments. It may seem like you're up against wave upon wave of imbalance, but it's really not that difficult, especially if you get given a chance to set up. Your best weapon will generally be positioning, and creation of choke points is paramount when you have Wards and siege.

The diagram below illustrates the sort of setup you want to have. Reduce surface area and keep siege/Wards safe.

In the diagram, large blue dots are heroes, small blue dots are Grunts, large black dots are siege and small black dots are Wards. As you can see, in a setup such as that, the Elf has little in the way of chances to get through the wall to that siege. If the Hunts stop to take down the towers the siege will tear them to bits.

The most damage an Elf can do to you early game is usually a little harass at your main base, so think about hiding the second Barracks and make sure that if he finds it he doesn't delay it with his DH.

ii. Gruntapulting against Human

Standard Combinations: FS/DR 6/2 push, FS/DR 5/3 push, FS/Naga 6/2 push

Gruntapulting against Human isn't quite so easy as against Elf, but it's certainly, as with all the matchups, possible and perfectly okay if executed well. Your main weapon of choice will be your second hero. Dark Ranger is my preferred second hero, but I'll use Naga second if the situation warrants it (such as if I've had a blinder of an early game and want to finish it quickly).

There's not a lot of variety with Human strategies before about ten minutes into the game - they mostly revolve around an Archmage/Footmen start with a tech to casters and either Rifles (earlier) or Spell Breakers (later). This makes Humans very predictable and you can usually tell what they're going to do simply by harassing them throughout the whole of tier 1. Generally, I go 5/3 against pure casters and 6/2 against Riflecaster.

I used to creep my FS to Level 3 against Human, but now I favour harassing the Human early game to keep the Archmage low level - letting it get to 3 and creep a mercenary camp is generally just asking for trouble, no matter how good your micro is.

Footmen to MK Riflecaster

Be careful not to get your DR bolt surrounded, and simply focus down the casters with your siege while taking care of any Rifles with your Grunts. 6/2 is better for this in my opinion, but 5/3 can also work. If the Human tries to use Militia, focus them down immediately (remember, easiest targets first!).

Footmen to MK Casters

5/3 is usually more appropriate here because the Grunts lose their effectiveness in a big way here, there's no real reason for them to be there other than as a meat shield. Focus down Footmen with your Grunts and create as effective a wall as you can manage, your siege will be the main DPS. Same Militia rule applies, but keep your DR on the Footmen, not the Casters.

Footmen to BM Riflecaster

Beastmaster poses a bit of a problem, especially with Riflecaster, because of the sheer amount of summons and casters, considering you have no dispel. If you see a Beastmaster, you really need to push before the Human gets too many casters, and focus on getting Grunts before Demolishers. This is one of the few situations in which I would advocate constant pressure on the Human, whether you choose to tower them or not. Snipe Footman and Rifleman kills where possible to keep the Human's food count low, and go for units before summons.

Footmen to BM Casters

Not as big a problem as Riflecaster, 5/3 and 6/2 are both fine, just do the same as with MK Casters and don't focus the Quilbeasts unless it's a free kill.

Tower Push, Tier 1 or Tier 2

Another "remain calm" situation. There are three types of Human tower rush - immediate, delayed tier 1 and tier 2.

If it's an immediate tower rush then play it as you would any other tower rush - snipe Peasant kills where you can, hide a Barracks and shop off to one side and mass Grunts. Tech if you're confident your base will hold until you can get siege out.

A delayed tier 1 tower rush shouldn't be much of a problem, because you'll be putting a second Barracks up. Just spam Grunts and get a DR second as usual.

A standard tier 2 tower push (with a Beastmaster and casters) shouldn't happen before your push - worst case scenario, your armies should meet halfway across the map. Bearing in mind you've got siege and a DR, it shouldn't be much of a problem at all. Some people may push earlier, but the same "bearing in mind" theme applies. You'll have siege, so you're usually fine.

iii. Gruntapulting against Undead

Standard Combinations: BM/SH 7/2, FS/SH 7/2

Any Undead going Fiends may pose a bit of a problem, because Fiends are fanastic at defending a base. This is why, when pushing an Undead base, you need at least two Demolishers, because the repair rate on Acolytes is bad enough without the Undead ony having five of them.

So, your basic strategy? Get towers and a shop up and camp behind them, punishing the Undead if he tries to get outside the confines of his base.

There's hardly any variety in Undead strategies, the one thing you need to look out for is Crypt Lord first, because those Level 2 Beetles are a nightmare to deal with when you don't have any dispel or AoE. If you see a Crypt Lord, keep it as low level as possible, and either a) go for an AoE hero such as a Panda second or b) just revert to a standard strategy if you're not all-faithful in Gruntapult!

There's a problem, however, with Ghouls. With Fiends you can follow the usual positioning rules (just make sure to have a speed scroll, that's why the offensive shop comes in handy), but with Ghouls, you won't usually be able to put the towers up against the trees because the Undead will probably have a Nerubian Tower watching that spot. If he doesn't, then by all means tower next to the trees, but just be careful of the range on the Halls of the Dead and build the towers as close together as possible if you have to build them away from the trees against Ghouls.

Basic micro in OvU Gruntapult is simple. You attempt to catch the Undead outside of his base, ideally with Boots on your BM, focus down a Fiend and Hex the DK when the Fiend is at about 200HP, giving you enough time to finish it off. Oh, and buy dust, because the Undead will save a lot of Fiends otherwise.

iv. Gruntapulting against Orc

Standard Combinations: FS/FL 7/2, FS/FL 8/1

Orc is probably the hardest race to Gruntapult, simply because BM/SH is so devastating to your heroes if your opponent gets a good position. It's absolutely paramount that you have at least one healing potion and one speed scroll on your heroes at any one time. This almost always means an offensive shop.

As for strategy, I prefer to harass the other player as much as possible, keeping tier 2 buildings and that all-important third burrow down for as long as I can, to prevent the second hero and Raiders/dispel hitting the floor running right as I'm about to push.

Once you're pushing them, you simply want to survive until the towers go up. The siege is almost irrelevant, because it's mostly useless against Orc units, so just keep putting towers up, cover them with shops, War Mills, Grunts, anything to get them up, because once they go up and you get a couple of siege units, provided you have a decent army and can consolidate your position with a couple of more towers and a shop, the game is basically over.

If your opponent fast techs, it's important to be in his base at 1 dot into the first night on the clock at the top of the screen, because his tech finishes at 2 and he's going to push you immediately afterwards to buy time for his tier 2 buildings. Don't let him, he doesn't have any stun yet, so there's nothing stopping you running in and out quite freely stopping his tier 2 buildings and sniping a burrow kill or two.

Anyway, that's pretty much how to Gruntapult, so I hope you enjoyed the guide and that you can apply it to one or all of your matchups. Most of all, I hope I've provided a potential solution to your problems.

d. Extra Resources

I will attempt to get a replay pack sorted for before I go, but no promises! Most of them will probably be quite old.

Good Luck ORChish....

btw: i took permission directly from the writer before posting...
    Last edited by Mad Monk; January 14th, 2009 at 01:06.

• Pyro.Dynamics-'s Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P6T Deluxe (Intel X-58 Based)
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 945
      • RAM:
      • OCZ Gold 6 GB (3 x 2GB), 1600 MHz
      • Hard Drive:
      • SeaGate 1TB 7200 RPM
      • Graphics Card:
      • XFX 9800GTX+ 1GB X2 = 2GB SLI
      • Display:
      • Sony Bravia 46"
      • Sound Card:
      • Intel SoundMAX Built-in 7.1 SmartCard
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Microlab 5.1 Surround
      • Keyboard:
      • Razer Anansi
      • Mouse:
      • Razer Naga Molten Edition
      • Controller:
      • XBOX 360 Controller
      • Power Supply:
      • Thermaltake 850W
      • Optical Drive:
      • Zinger Burger
      • UPS:
      • MICRO
      • Operating System:
      • Windows Vista Ultimate x58
      • Comment:
      • Cooler - CoolerMAster V8; Casing - Thermaltake M9
      • ISP:
      • Link3 1 Mbps
      • Download Speed:
      • 110-140 KBps
      • Upload Speed:
      • 40-60 KB
      • Console:

Default Re: ORC Strategy : How to Gruntapult : Simplifying Warcraft

Lewl strategy. But, it might work against non pros! This reminds me of Gamebhai, another one-strategy man I know in person. It will never take you to the top if you just blindly follow this.

Steene / Lightstrike - Level 80 Rogue/Paladin - Bloodcraft Blizzclone US
    Anestean - Level 80 Paladin - AlphaWoW EU
    Pyro.Dynam1cs - Garena - Main competitive account
    DietPepsicola - Garena - Trolling, "secret" pub owning account.

btw, mainman likes 2 do sort of a gruntapult 2 when he's got his raiders comming out.
    Its AIM. Not GG AIM, GG_AIM or GG.

VIP Member
    • Mad Monk's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • 865PE...Gigabyte
      • CPU:
      • P4 2.4Ghz (478 socket)
      • RAM:
      • 512+512 DDR1
      • Hard Drive:
      • 80GB samsung IDE
      • Graphics Card:
      • Geforce Fx 5200 Palit Brand,128mb AGP Card
      • Display:
      • Samsung 793 Magic Bright
      • Sound Card:
      • Built in :(
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • 2:1 Creative
      • Keyboard:
      • A4Tech
      • Mouse:
      • A4Tech
      • Controller:
      • UCOM Dual
      • Power Supply:
      • normal
      • Optical Drive:
      • Asus & LiteON
      • Operating System:
      • XP Sp2
      • Benchmark Scores:
      • Comment:
      • Old is Gold
      • Download Speed:
      • Upload Speed:

kono ekta Strategy Counter korte hoile shei Strategy shomporke Valo Vabe jante hoe...
    i think the Semi Pros,or Noob type Player der ei Strat ta shomporke Valo Idea thaka Uchit...
    this is much alike to HUMAN TOWER RUSH...ora jodi TR marte pare amrao keno parbo na
    thats y i like the strat...

@ Dynamics : warcraft a ei ekta strat ase eita keu kokhono bole nai...amio boli nai...eita just easy ekta strat...
    Last edited by Mad Monk; November 30th, 2008 at 23:19.

• HeLL]deathknight's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte HA-65-UD3H-B3
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 2.91 Ghz Gen-2
      • RAM:
      • Twinmoss DDR3 1333mhz 4GB
      • Hard Drive:
      • Samsung 500GB
      • Graphics Card:
      • ASUS GTX550 Ti
      • Display:
      • Philips CRT 17inch
      • Sound Card:
      • Realtek HD 7.1 Channel,SteelSeries
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Suntec Headphones/SteelSeries Siberia V2
      • Keyboard:
      • A4Tech Slim Black
      • Mouse:
      • SteelSeries Sensei
      • Controller:
      • Logitech RP2
      • Power Supply:
      • Gigabyte 550Watt
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Comment:
      • Enough for me !
      • ISP:
      • FusionBD/Link3 Technologies
      • Download Speed:
      • 120KBps/196KBps
      • Upload Speed:
      • 50KBps/200KBps

hehehe gruntpult a very basic strat for new players . but jodi keu na bujhe tahole valoi damage korbe ai strat ta .

VIP Member
    • Mad Monk's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • 865PE...Gigabyte
      • CPU:
      • P4 2.4Ghz (478 socket)
      • RAM:
      • 512+512 DDR1
      • Hard Drive:
      • 80GB samsung IDE
      • Graphics Card:
      • Display:
      • Sound Card:
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Keyboard:
      • A4Tech
      • Mouse:
      • A4Tech
      • Controller:
      • UCOM Dual
      • Power Supply:
      • normal
      • Optical Drive:
      • Asus & LiteON
      • Operating System:
      • XP Sp2
      • Benchmark Scores:
      • Comment:
      • Old is Gold
      • Download Speed:
      • Upload Speed:

ya...but ei strategy te koedin khele ja bujhlam eita DO or Die strategy....if u fail...then u r GG in the Counter

actually Pyro has a point there, 4 a change. live example is me.

i used 2 do only TR 1st 3/4 months i played warcraft. and now i hav 2 go around playing matches trying 2 get in 2 large army micro battles, cuz i m not very good at it. Even though i nailed TR, my progress has been lagging by atleast 2 months. in the end, large army micro is going 2 help me in ALL RTS games(read SC and SC2.) including warcraft and i don't think my mid game micro isn't good enough. but u need 2 hav strats so that u can win when u need 2 even when u r not playing well.

btw, Orc has only a few strats and still so imba in 1.22.

ONTOPIC : i actually started playing orc recently because of more micro and grantapult against UD. i had my own version of grantapult figured. i do normal tier 2, finish 2nd barrack and war mill while upgrade completes. then make 2 catas and do 'gruntapult'. i hav it particularly 4 gamebhai's mass skele. because the attack should happen b4 he can get 2 many necros(read more than 2.). and catas should come out as soon as UD's finished temple.
    Last edited by KinG SRS; November 30th, 2008 at 23:33. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

• Pyro.Dynamics-'s Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P6T Deluxe (Intel X-58 Based)
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 945
      • RAM:
      • OCZ Gold 6 GB (3 x 2GB), 1600 MHz
      • Hard Drive:
      • SeaGate 1TB 7200 RPM
      • Graphics Card:
      • XFX 9800GTX+ 1GB X2 = 2GB SLI
      • Display:
      • Sony Bravia 46"
      • Sound Card:
      • Intel SoundMAX Built-in 7.1 SmartCard
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Microlab 5.1 Surround
      • Keyboard:
      • Razer Anansi
      • Mouse:
      • Razer Naga Molten Edition
      • Controller:
      • XBOX 360 Controller
      • Power Supply:
      • Thermaltake 850W
      • Optical Drive:
      • Zinger Burger
      • UPS:
      • MICRO
      • Operating System:
      • Windows Vista Ultimate x58
      • Comment:
      • Cooler - CoolerMAster V8; Casing - Thermaltake M9
      • ISP:
      • Link3 1 Mbps
      • Download Speed:
      • 110-140 KBps
      • Upload Speed:
      • 40-60 KB
      • Console:

Who deleted my post? Was it you Saleh Bhai?

Steene / Lightstrike - Level 80 Rogue/Paladin - Bloodcraft Blizzclone US
    Anestean - Level 80 Paladin - AlphaWoW EU
    Pyro.Dynam1cs - Garena - Main competitive account
    DietPepsicola - Garena - Trolling, "secret" pub owning account.

VIP Member
    • Mad Monk's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • 865PE...Gigabyte
      • CPU:
      • P4 2.4Ghz (478 socket)
      • RAM:
      • 512+512 DDR1
      • Hard Drive:
      • 80GB samsung IDE
      • Graphics Card:
      • Display:
      • Sound Card:
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Keyboard:
      • A4Tech
      • Mouse:
      • A4Tech
      • Controller:
      • UCOM Dual
      • Power Supply:
      • normal
      • Optical Drive:
      • Asus & LiteON
      • Operating System:
      • XP Sp2
      • Benchmark Scores:
      • Comment:
      • Old is Gold
      • Download Speed:
      • Upload Speed:

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Dynamics View Post
    Who deleted my post? Was it you Saleh Bhai?
    koi ? oi j tomar post dekha jache....SRS tomare thanku dise be Happy

btw; it was me...forget it...

Quote Originally Posted by GG.AIM View Post
    btw, mainman likes 2 do sort of a gruntapult 2 when he's got his raiders comming out.
    mainman mone hoe KODO banae....duita barrack banae na...he starts to build BEAST after tech 2....

but GRUNTAPULT er main moja hoilo duita BARRACK...
    ami ekta Barrack diya try korsi...oita diyeo Grunta P hoe...
    but duita barrack hoile GRUNT quick ber kora jae...
    2nd barrack finishes when TIER 2 finished...& its effecient...
    Last edited by Mad Monk; December 1st, 2008 at 01:30. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

no thank u for d post deletion of mine n mr dynamics..if u want 2 clean this thread then u should remove d posts in trash..lol..i think u will no that!

post delet korte parle eitao koro..but no thank u or thank u bondho korba kibhabe??

VIP Member
    • Mad Monk's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • 865PE...Gigabyte
      • CPU:
      • P4 2.4Ghz (478 socket)
      • RAM:
      • 512+512 DDR1
      • Hard Drive:
      • 80GB samsung IDE
      • Graphics Card:
      • Display:
      • Sound Card:
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Keyboard:
      • A4Tech
      • Mouse:
      • A4Tech
      • Controller:
      • UCOM Dual
      • Power Supply:
      • normal
      • Optical Drive:
      • Asus & LiteON
      • Operating System:
      • XP Sp2
      • Benchmark Scores:
      • Comment:
      • Old is Gold
      • Download Speed:
      • Upload Speed:

Raider aaro jotil GRUNT er cheye....
    so ENSNARE use kore HERO GANG korte aaro moja...
    ajke ekta PC er shathe khellam...mojai....HERO TOWER vangte ashe...
    r ENSNARE kore GANG....LOL LOL LOL...

kon pc? AMAI map?

VIP Member
    • Mad Monk's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • 865PE...Gigabyte
      • CPU:
      • P4 2.4Ghz (478 socket)
      • RAM:
      • 512+512 DDR1
      • Hard Drive:
      • 80GB samsung IDE
      • Graphics Card:
      • Display:
      • Sound Card:
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Keyboard:
      • A4Tech
      • Mouse:
      • A4Tech
      • Controller:
      • UCOM Dual
      • Power Supply:
      • normal
      • Optical Drive:
      • Asus & LiteON
      • Operating System:
      • XP Sp2
      • Benchmark Scores:
      • Comment:
      • Old is Gold
      • Download Speed:
      • Upload Speed:

ya AMAI MAP...ami kalke AMAI map a Gruntapult kore 7 min a INSANE re harailam...

LOL LOL...

ami akhono khelar time paini AMAI gulay. 3 tarikh e exam sesh tarpor khelbo.

• Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte HA-65-UD3H-B3
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 2.91 Ghz Gen-2
      • RAM:
      • Hard Drive:
      • Samsung 500GB
      • Graphics Card:
      • ASUS GTX550 Ti
      • Display:
      • Philips CRT 17inch
      • Sound Card:
      • Realtek HD 7.1 Channel,SteelSeries
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Suntec Headphones/SteelSeries Siberia V2
      • Keyboard:
      • A4Tech Slim Black
      • Mouse:
      • SteelSeries Sensei
      • Controller:
      • Logitech RP2
      • Power Supply:
      • Gigabyte 550Watt
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Comment:
      • Enough for me !
      • ISP:
      • FusionBD/Link3 Technologies
      • Download Speed:
      • 120KBps/196KBps
      • Upload Speed:
      • 50KBps/200KBps

AMAI khele temon laab nei...coz i saw how they play. they just make counter units. and are more aggressive than normal AI. i played with insane 1 match. played for 30mins then got bored and quited..coz jai kori kisu tei more na.

VIP Member
    • Mad Monk's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • 865PE...Gigabyte
      • CPU:
      • P4 2.4Ghz (478 socket)
      • RAM:
      • 512+512 DDR1
      • Hard Drive:
      • 80GB samsung IDE
      • Graphics Card:
      • Display:
      • Sound Card:
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Keyboard:
      • A4Tech
      • Mouse:
      • A4Tech
      • Controller:
      • UCOM Dual
      • Power Supply:
      • normal
      • Optical Drive:
      • Asus & LiteON
      • Operating System:
      • XP Sp2
      • Benchmark Scores:
      • Comment:
      • Old is Gold
      • Download Speed:
      • Upload Speed:

AIM shunlam ORC niya khelteso ? i m Very Disappointed...
    tumi GENUINE HUMAN RACE player...& tumi valo o khelo....
    atodiner Practice ekhon change koiro na...

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Monk View Post
    AIM shunlam ORC niya khelteso ? i m Very Disappointed...
    tumi GENUINE HUMAN RACE player...& tumi valo o khelo....
    atodiner Practice ekhon change koiro na...
    hehe..ami to eitar jonno wait kortesilum j kobe tumi off topic marba..eibar?amar duita post dlet korso offtopic koia..nije ki?

B on topic madmonk....i warn u

next time offtopic marle direct delet koira dibo

on topic plzZ

Orc er ei startegy ta bhalo..i think amak TR diyai er counter korte hobe

VIP Member
    • Mad Monk's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • 865PE...Gigabyte
      • CPU:
      • P4 2.4Ghz (478 socket)
      • RAM:
      • 512+512 DDR1
      • Hard Drive:
      • 80GB samsung IDE
      • Graphics Card:
      • Display:
      • Sound Card:
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Keyboard:
      • A4Tech
      • Mouse:
      • A4Tech
      • Controller:
      • UCOM Dual
      • Power Supply:
      • normal
      • Optical Drive:
      • Asus & LiteON
      • Operating System:
      • XP Sp2
      • Benchmark Scores:
      • Comment:
      • Old is Gold
      • Download Speed:
      • Upload Speed:

LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Dı}x{SRS View Post
    Orc er ei startegy ta bhalo..i think amak TR diyai er counter korte hobe
    Orc er ei Strat er shubidha hoche...TIER 2 er kono UNIT ber hobar aagei ei Strat er kaj shuru hoe jae...so...
    r keu jodi LATE kore GRUNTAPULT marte jae then purai dhora...cuz Human er Sorcerrer dangerous...

jodi Xpert keu ei Strat Follow kore...tahole aramse JITTE parbe...karon khub Valo pressure deya jae...
    ami ekhono UNIT SLECTION pari na valo kore...ulta palta hobe jae...tobuo ei Strat use kore Valo WIN pachi....

• Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte HA-65-UD3H-B3
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 2.91 Ghz Gen-2
      • RAM:
      • Hard Drive:
      • Samsung 500GB
      • Graphics Card:
      • ASUS GTX550 Ti
      • Display: