The jury comes back – Apple crushes Samsung at trial, gets Billions in damages and Microsoft wins!
This is a FANTASTIC day to be Microsoft!
Today, the deliberating jury in the Samsung vs Apple case came back and returned several affirmative votes in Apple’s favor.
They said unanimously that Samsung infringed several of Apple’s patents.
They awarded Apple over 2.3 Billion dollars!
- The jury found Samsung infringement of Apple utility, design patents for some (though not all) products
- The jury upheld Apple utility, design patents
- The jury upheld Apple trade dress ’983
- The jury found Samsung “diluted” Apple’s registered iPhone, iPhone 3 and “Combination iPhone” trade dress on some products, not on others
- The jury found no Apple infringement of Samsung utility patents
- The jury found Samsung violated antitrust law by monopolizing markets related to the UMTS standard
Thet’s big news but here’s the real news as far as I am concerned.
Google and Samsung lose big today!
This is devastating for Samsung’s reputation, devastating to their wallets and devastating to their products both on the market and in development.
Samsung have to take a very critical look at all their designs and products to make sure they don’t release any more products that continue to violate Apple’s patents.
In addition, Samsung competitors and other Google Android partners will have to study these patents to make sure that they aren’t in a similar position and (now) exposed to Apple’s wrath.
Here’s the kicker..
Microsoft wins big today!!
Indirectly, the Android UI was on trial and it has been shown to be dangerously close to Apple’s UI in a court of law.
Even if you make the claim that Samsung’s enhancements to the Android UI are the problems at fault today, this still freezes a lot of Apple competitors who were looking at going in Google’s direction.
Guess what the net effect is?
I have to imagine that Microsoft’s ecosystem just got a LOT more attractive if you’re an OEM.
Say what you will about the Windows 8 ecosystem, the one thing you CANNOT say is that it looks like ANYTHING Apple have done.
Windows 8, it’s Metro interface and it’s look and feel are uniquely Microsoft’s.
Google (in my mind) is the big loser today.
What do you think?