Socket 2011 platform, and consumer-class processors for the platform were introduced three month ago. The first two models were Core i7-3930K and i7-3960X, based on "Sandy Bridge-E" core. The third socket 2011 SKU, also planned to launch last November, was Core i7-3820. The processor was delayed by three months, and only yesterday Intel added this model to official price list.

Intel i7-3820 is built on Sandy Bridge-E core, a variation of Sandy Bridge core that sports large 10 MB or greater L3 cache, and integrated quad-channel memory controller. The chip has 4 CPU cores, clocked at 3.6 GHz, and 10 MB of last level cache. The 3820 supports most of Sandy Bridge features, including Turbo Boost, that can bump core frequency up to 3.9 GHz when necessary, and Hyper-Threading technology, which doubles the number of threads, processed by the CPU at the same time. The i7-3820 doesn't support business-oriented technologies, such as Trusted Execution. The CPU has 130 Watt Thermal Design Power. Intel i7-3820 is priced at $294, which is considerably lower than the prices of Core i7-3930K and Core i7-3960X Sandy Bridge-E microprocessors.