"I'm not sure how Japan can compete on that level"

Metal Gear creator Hideo Kojima has questioned whether Japanese developers are capable of producing titles that can go toe-to-toe with modern triple-A titles.

Speaking to Official PlayStation Magazine Kojima said there's only a handful of games that can garner widespread attention from gamers, and went on to express concerns about Japanese developers and their place within the landscape. "It's much more competitive now: if you look at triple-A titles on a worldwide scale there's maybe only ten really big games that can get gamers' attention, and I'm not sure how Japan can compete on that level," he said.

The Japanese luminary also said he thinks consumers are currently satisfied by the plethora of first-person shooters being released, which means demand for different experiences is low.

"I think it's more consumer demand - right now, consumers are happy with what they have. First-person shooters sell like crazy, so there's not really a strong demand for anything else, and that's why [original ideas] stop being made."

"People are satisfied with making minor upgrades and tweaking things here and there - as long as that's the landscape, it will keep on happening. I don't see a problem necessarily, but at the same time it is nice to see new things come."

Kojima's duties are currently split between Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D for the Nintendo 3DS and Metal Gear Rising, which was secretly cancelled before being revived and given to Bayonetta and Vanquish studio Platinum Games.