User Tag List

Thread: Rome Total War BI mod needs Bengali translator + historian

Default Rome Total War BI mod needs Bengali translator + historian

Hi! Im Pazu, one of the heads of research for a mod for Rome Total War BI called 'Nusantara Total War: Twilight of the Dragon' (in development). The mod takes Total War to mainland Southeast asia from the years 1512 to 1612. The map stretches from Burma (although it actually includes parts of northeast India) to Taiwan, includes pretty much all of Southeast Asia north of the Malay peninsula.

One of the factions included in this mod is the 'Kingdom of Arakan', with its capital at Mrauk U, in what is now Burma. This faction has access to a number of Indian units. We have decided that some of these units should logically have their unit names be in Bengali, since they are from areas closeby (finding a Bengali speaker is gonna be a heck ton easier than finding a Manipuri/Assamese speaker )

Anyways the units whose names we need translated are these:

"?" (Assamese Assault/Elite Swordsmen)
    Brave swordsmen recruited from the region of Assam, armed with sabers and khukris in the off hand, wear light armour, good morale, good stamina (longsword - khukri)

"?" (Indian Cavalry)
    Superior horse riding warriors recruited from the Indian subcontinent, armed with lances, sabers and shields, wear light armour (lance - longsword)

(note that 'Indian', as mentioned, refers to the Indian subcontinent in general, not just the areas of modern 'India')

We need more than translations for these units though. We need someone who is actually knowledgable about these regions to help us get an idea of what their weapons/uniforms should look like (the Assamese unit should have the uniform of a high tier Assamese warrior while the Indian cavalry unit should have the uniform of a typical 16th century Manipuri cavalryman)

If you can help, you can post a reply here with some info and/or add me to Steam friends if you have it (my steam name is Pazu_the_Kitsune)....i look forward to any help i recieve...peace

-Pazu

• codename5302's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X99-UD5 Wifi
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 5820K cooled by Custom Water Cooling
      • RAM:
      • 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 2400MHz
      • Hard Drive:
      • Samsung SM951 250GB, Samsung 840 Evo 250 GB, WD Red 6TB
      • Graphics Card:
      • Zotac 980Ti Amp Extreme
      • Display:
      • Iiyama Prolite XB2779QS, Acer GD245HQ 120Hz
      • Sound Card:
      • Fiio Andes E07K
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Logitech Z 5500/ Creative Aurvana Live/ Sennheiser HD558
      • Keyboard:
      • Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry Brown)
      • Mouse:
      • Logitech G500S, Perixx MX2000B, Logitech G400S
      • Controller:
      • Microsoft XBox 360 Controller, Saitek P2600
      • Power Supply:
      • Corsair RM850
      • Optical Drive:
      • LG BluRay Drive, LG DVDRW Drive
      • UPS:
      • 2 * Prollink 1200VA
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64Bit
      • Benchmark Scores:
      • ????
      • Comment:
      • It works!!
      • Console:

Default Re: Rome Total War BI mod needs Bengali translator + historian

dont know if it will help but i think at that time "mughal"s were reigning in this section of asia. among mughal army, cavalary was called "sawar" (search wikipedia). and about assamese assault unit, "kukri" doesnt mean longsword. it's a kind of knife or short sword. hope it helps. and good luck to your mod. i will remember this and definitely give a try.

Ah many thanks, but the Mughals didnt invade Bangladesh until at least 1650....they invaded parts of western Assam but because of guerrilla tactics they were never able to get any farther (and none of western Assam is included in our mod map)

And yes, i am aware that a khukri is a thick bent knife, the Assam Assault Infantry are armed with both a Saber (longsword) and a khukri in the off hand

---------- Post added at 14:36 ---------- Previous post was at 13:46 ----------

Oh nvm i was wrong the Mughals invaded Bangladesh in 1576....still, Bangladesh itself doesnt appear on the campaign map, and the cavalry will not be Mughal cavalry but rather local Northeast Indian cavalry so the Mughals are largely irrelevant...

• codename5302's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X99-UD5 Wifi
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 5820K cooled by Custom Water Cooling
      • RAM:
      • 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 2400MHz
      • Hard Drive:
      • Samsung SM951 250GB, Samsung 840 Evo 250 GB, WD Red 6TB
      • Graphics Card:
      • Zotac 980Ti Amp Extreme
      • Display:
      • Iiyama Prolite XB2779QS, Acer GD245HQ 120Hz
      • Sound Card:
      • Fiio Andes E07K
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Logitech Z 5500/ Creative Aurvana Live/ Sennheiser HD558
      • Keyboard:
      • Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry Brown)
      • Mouse:
      • Logitech G500S, Perixx MX2000B, Logitech G400S
      • Controller:
      • Microsoft XBox 360 Controller, Saitek P2600
      • Power Supply:
      • Corsair RM850
      • Optical Drive:
      • LG BluRay Drive, LG DVDRW Drive
      • UPS:
      • 2 * Prollink 1200VA
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64Bit
      • Benchmark Scores:
      • ????
      • Comment:
      • It works!!
      • Console:

i dont understand what you meant by local north indian cavalry. afaik, this whole area was ruled by mughals, before that afgan governors, before that sen (sena) empire, before that pal (pala empire). so the army was supposed to be empirewise. and one thing i would like to add, horse cavalry was never popular force here. the most used were foot army and elephant cavalry. hope it helps.

---------- Post added at 22:34 ---------- Previous post was at 22:16 ----------

another thing i would like to add, the old indian name of horse is "ashva" pronounced like "osso". (from wikipedia). so you can give the cavalry name "ashvakas" pronounces like"ossok"

I understand why youre confused mate....the whole thing is pretty complicated...essentially 'Indian Cavalry' can be recruited in 2 main regions: Northeast India (that is, Assam and Manipur, especially Manipur because they have a strong horse riding tradition) and also in the Mrauk U region (many Indians from Indias east coast settled there, the Kingdom of Arakan bought horses and equipment from some of the east coast Kingdoms, gave them to the Indians who settled in Mrauk U and formed units of cavalry that were superior to what, say, the Burmese Kingdom of Toungoo had). Weve decided its simpler to just call these units 'Indian cavalry' but give them Manipuri outfits and equipment, we need to be conservative with unit slots (Rome TW BI engine can support a maximum of 256 different units)

Note that from 1512-1612 both Assam and Manipur remained independant and sovereign kingdoms, despite the Mughals launching a series of failed invasions against Assam starting in the late 1500s (and ending in the late 1600s).

Anyways we feel its best to get these unit names translated into Bengali, since its ALOT easier to find someone who can speak both English and Bengali than someone who can, say, speak both English and Assamese / English and Manipuri.

Hope that clears things up