User Tag List

Thread: Difference between Gevey/Turbo Sim Unlock and Software Unlock???

Default Difference between Gevey/Turbo Sim Unlock and Software Unlock???

Hello everyone again, i'm sorry if i'm asking too many questions

What is the difference between Gevey/Turbo Sim unlocked iPhone 4 and Software unlocked ones??

Does the Gevey/Turbo unlocked one's create problems like software unlock ones when updating the OS and stuff like dat???
    Plz elaborate if u can, im really confused....

Like if i buy the Gevey/Turbo unlocked ones then can i update the OS and other stuff?? or will i face problems like the software unlocked ones??

mentioning some iPhone users(i think), sorry again if im disturbing

@Hemlock @aayman_farzand @SinisterFahim

• SinisterFahim's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-945GCMX-S2
      • CPU:
      • Core 2 Duo E4500
      • RAM:
      • Twinmos 1GB + 2GB = 3GB DDR2 (800 Mhz)
      • Hard Drive:
      • Hitachi 1TB
      • Graphics Card:
      • ATi Radeon X1050
      • Display:
      • Asus MS228H
      • Sound Card:
      • On-Board......
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Creative Inspire M4500. (Going To Get A Microlab SOLO 7C ASAP)
      • Keyboard:
      • A4 Tech Basic Keyboard
      • Mouse:
      • Genius 120 NetScroll
      • Controller:
      • Don't Have One For PC Gaming..........
      • Power Supply:
      • Generic 440W.....
      • Optical Drive:
      • Lite-On 16X Combo & ASUS 24X Dual Layer DVD-RW
      • USB Devices:
      • Transcend 25M2 500GB External HardDrive ll Apacer 8GB AH324 ll Apacer 8GB AH332 ll Transcend V30 8GB
      • UPS:
      • Mercury 1200VA
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 (62-Bit)
      • Comment:
      • Sucks, I Know........!!!!
      • ISP:
      • Banglalion WiMax
      • Download Speed:
      • 512kbps OR 64KB/s
      • Upload Speed:
      • 128kbps Or 16KB/s
      • Console:

Default Re: Difference between Gevey/Turbo Sim Unlock and Software Unlock???

The software unlocked ones are by far the better ones. The one's on Gevey/Turbo are somewhat like a tethered fix, which means you have to boot it and sometime even need a PC to do it when turning on the phone(yes, everytime). The software unlocked ones are like factory unlocked ones and are jailbroken. the only problem you face with them is during updating OS, which a bit hassle but not impossible.

• shuvin's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • gigabyte H55M-S2V
      • CPU:
      • intel i5 3.2GHz
      • RAM:
      • 2 gb ddr3
      • Hard Drive:
      • 500gb
      • Graphics Card:
      • xfx 9500 gt
      • Display:
      • hp 15" and samsung 19" t series
      • Sound Card:
      • creative sumthing very old i dont remember the name
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • creative
      • Controller:
      • 1 xfx, 3-4 chinese cheap ones
      • Power Supply:
      • stock
      • Operating System:
      • windows 7 64bit
      • Comment:
      • gets the job done.
      • ISP:
      • link 3
      • Download Speed:
      • 80-90
      • Console:

both should be avoided if possible, software unlocked ones run just fine but u gotta save the baseband and stuff before updating FW, for which u gotta read through lot of technical stuff to keep up. and the gevey/turbo are the worse as i was told, u get all sorts of reception issues.

• Hemlock's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P7P55D
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 750 @ 3.81 GHz + Prolimatech Megahalems (Nidec Beta V Intake + Rosewill RFX120BL Exhaust)
      • RAM:
      • 2X2 GB A-DATA XPG DDR3 @ 1520 MHz, 8-8-8-20 @ 1.55V
      • Hard Drive:
      • 500GB Samsung F3 + 250GB Hitachi Deskstar
      • Graphics Card:
      • Gigabyte HD5970 @ 850/1150 + XFX 9800GT for PHYSX
      • Display:
      • Samsung 22" 2233SW
      • Sound Card:
      • VIA VT1828S
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Gigaworks G500, HS-1000 X-fi Fatality USB Headset
      • Keyboard:
      • A4Tech Generic
      • Mouse:
      • A4Tech XL747-H
      • Power Supply:
      • ASUS 750W U-75HA || TT Spedo Advance Package || 4 X 12" Logisys Blue CCT
      • Optical Drive:
      • ASUS 22X DVD-RW
      • USB Devices:
      • A4Tech XL-747H
      • UPS:
      • Micro 2000VA - Failed
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit Build 7600, 4GB Unlocked
      • Benchmark Scores:
      • 28363 3d Mark Vantage Score with cat 10.5, 31K possible with cat 10.6
      • Comment:
      • ANUBIS 970 - "The Beast Unleashed"

Quote Originally Posted by SinisterFahim View Post
    The software unlocked ones are by far the better ones. The one's on Gevey/Turbo are somewhat like a tethered fix, which means you have to boot it and sometime even need a PC to do it when turning on the phone(yes, everytime). The software unlocked ones are like factory unlocked ones and are jailbroken. the only problem you face with them is during updating OS, which a bit hassle but not impossible.
    And from where did you learn that?

When an iphone4 (which im assuming it is since you brought gevey sim into the topic) is Software Unlocked, it 's baseband is 01.59, and it 's unlocked with ultrasnow after being jailbroken. You have to make sure that you prevent updating your baseband/modem firmware while updating your device iOS. It 's not all that difficult, you may have to read thru a couple of articles. It works ok, but there are certain phones from 3 network UK which i have had problems with setting up the internet connection, it wouldn 't accept to connect to Edge and even if it did it would reject the SIM card. Such case is very rare.

Gevey SIMs are used to unlock phones that are locked to a certain network and have a baseband greater than 01.59 and less than 04.11, which are 2.10 - 4.10. The downside is that they have to be activated every time u turn off and turn it back on. The procedure to get it working is quite a hassle, it 's a trial and error method which doesn 't hit the jackpot very often, dial 911, put the call down after 3 seconds, turn airplane mode on for 2 minutes, turn it back off, wait for the "SIM card Failure message", sometimes you have to turn cellular data off and on, and then again activate and deactivate airplane mode, dial 911/112. While you keep doing this, once you 'll be presented with your network bars and you can finally give it a rest.
    But now there 's a jailbreak utility that does all these things for you at start-up, so you won 't have to go thru this everytime you turn off and back on.
    However, another issue remains, which is, in some cases people have reported having random reception issues and failure to connect to cellular data netwrok and hence no internet.

Factory Unlocked? Do you whatever you wish to, you 're free to do whatever you please as long as you own the phone, just that you have to save your SHSH for a firmware that you might have to roll-back to, while it is being signed by apple.
    Last edited by Hemlock; November 19th, 2011 at 18:49.
    Core i5 750 @ 3.81GHz | Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B + Nidec Beta V + Rosewill RFX-120BL
    ASUS P7P55D |
    Gigabyte HD5970 @ 850MHz/1150MHz + XFX 9800GT for PHYSX
    2X2GB A-DATA DDR3 XPG @ 1520MHz, 8-8-8-20 | Samsung F3 500GB + Hitachi Deskstar 250GB
    Samsung 2233SW | Gigaworks G500 | Creative HS-1000 X-Fi Fatality USB Headset
    TT Spedo Advanced Package + 4X12" Logisys Blue CCT + Delta XTREME Airflow
    | ASUS 750W

Quote Originally Posted by Hemlock View Post
    And from where did you learn that?

When an iphone4 (which im assuming it is since you brought gevey sim into the topic) is Software Unlocked, it 's baseband is 01.59, and it 's unlocked with ultrasnow after being jailbroken. You have to make sure that you prevent updating your baseband/modem firmware while updating your device iOS. It 's not all that difficult, you may have to read thru a couple of articles. It works ok, but there are certain phones from 3 network UK which i have had problems with setting up the internet connection, it wouldn 't accept to connect to Edge and even if it did it would reject the SIM card. Such case is very rare.

Gevey SIMs are used to unlock phones that are locked to a certain network and have a baseband greater than 01.59 and less than 04.11, which are 2.10 - 4.10. The downside is that they have to be activated every time u turn off and turn it back on. The procedure to get it working is quite a hassle, it 's a trial and error method which doesn 't hit the jackpot very often, dial 911, put the call down after 3 seconds, turn airplane mode on for 2 minutes, turn it back off, wait for the "SIM card Failure message", sometimes you have to turn cellular data off and on, and then again activate and deactivate airplane mode, dial 911/112. While you keep doing this, once you 'll be presented with your network bars and you can finally give it a rest.
    But now there 's a jailbreak utility that does all these things for you at start-up, so you won 't have to go thru this everytime you turn off and back on.
    However, another issue remains, which is, in some cases people have reported having random reception issues and failure to connect to cellular data netwrok and hence no internet.

Factory Unlocked? Do you whatever you wish to, you 're free to do whatever you please as long as you own the phone, just that you have to save your SHSH for a firmware that you might have to roll-back to, while it is being signed by apple.
    So will buying a Software Unlocked iPhone 4 be a mistake??? I mean, will i have too much problems/hassle with it in the long run??

• Hemlock's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P7P55D
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 750 @ 3.81 GHz + Prolimatech Megahalems (Nidec Beta V Intake + Rosewill RFX120BL Exhaust)
      • RAM:
      • Hard Drive:
      • Graphics Card:
      • Display:
      • Samsung 22" 2233SW
      • Sound Card:
      • VIA VT1828S
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Keyboard:
      • A4Tech Generic
      • Mouse:
      • A4Tech XL747-H
      • Power Supply:
      • Optical Drive:
      • ASUS 22X DVD-RW
      • USB Devices:
      • A4Tech XL-747H
      • UPS:
      • Micro 2000VA - Failed
      • Operating System:
      • Benchmark Scores:
      • Comment:

Quote Originally Posted by Irfan View Post
    So will buying a Software Unlocked iPhone 4 be a mistake??? I mean, will i have too much problems/hassle with it in the long run??
    It won 't be a mistake if you can find it for cheaper than factory unlocked ones and if you are confident enough that you 'll be able grasp all the procedures and techniques related to preserving your phone 's baseband.

What happens in long run will always be a mystery until we r there. Apple may introduce new security measures to counter preserving of basebands or may even make it mandatory to update the baseband in order to operate a certain iOS. You never know. Who predicted b4 this year that MS will be introducing XGD3?
    Core i5 750 @ 3.81GHz | Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B + Nidec Beta V + Rosewill RFX-120BL
    ASUS P7P55D |
    2X2GB A-DATA DDR3 XPG @ 1520MHz, 8-8-8-20 | Samsung F3 500GB + Hitachi Deskstar 250GB
    | ASUS 750W

It won 't be a mistake if you can find it for cheaper than factory unlocked ones and if you are confident enough that you 'll be able grasp all the procedures and techniques related to preserving your phone 's baseband.

What happens in long run will always be a mystery until we r there. Apple may introduce new security measures to counter preserving of basebands or may even make it mandatory to update the baseband in order to operate a certain iOS. You never know. Who predicted b4 this year that MS will be introducing XGD3?
    Cheaper as in, software unlocked ones are around ~5-6k cheaper, so should i go for it?? or is the factory unlocked ones worth every penny???

• Hemlock's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P7P55D
      • CPU:
      • RAM:
      • Hard Drive:
      • Graphics Card:
      • Display:
      • Samsung 22" 2233SW
      • Sound Card:
      • VIA VT1828S
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Keyboard:
      • A4Tech Generic
      • Mouse:
      • A4Tech XL747-H
      • Power Supply:
      • Optical Drive:
      • ASUS 22X DVD-RW
      • USB Devices:
      • A4Tech XL-747H
      • UPS:
      • Micro 2000VA - Failed
      • Operating System:
      • Benchmark Scores:
      • Comment:

Cheaper as in, software unlocked ones are around ~5-6k cheaper, so should i go for it?? or is the factory unlocked ones worth every penny???
    5k beshi diye FU pele FU jaoata better.
    ASUS P7P55D |
    | ASUS 750W

5k beshi diye FU pele FU jaoata better.
    ty for all the help, will go for the FU then

• SinisterFahim's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-945GCMX-S2
      • CPU:
      • Core 2 Duo E4500
      • RAM:
      • Twinmos 1GB + 2GB = 3GB DDR2 (800 Mhz)
      • Hard Drive:
      • Hitachi 1TB
      • Graphics Card:
      • ATi Radeon X1050
      • Display:
      • Asus MS228H
      • Sound Card:
      • On-Board......
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Creative Inspire M4500. (Going To Get A Microlab SOLO 7C ASAP)
      • Keyboard:
      • A4 Tech Basic Keyboard
      • Mouse:
      • Genius 120 NetScroll
      • Controller:
      • Don't Have One For PC Gaming..........
      • Power Supply:
      • Generic 440W.....
      • Optical Drive:
      • Lite-On 16X Combo & ASUS 24X Dual Layer DVD-RW
      • USB Devices:
      • Transcend 25M2 500GB External HardDrive ll Apacer 8GB AH324 ll Apacer 8GB AH332 ll Transcend V30 8GB
      • UPS:
      • Mercury 1200VA
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 (62-Bit)
      • Comment:
      • Sucks, I Know........!!!!
      • ISP:
      • Banglalion WiMax
      • Download Speed:
      • 512kbps OR 64KB/s
      • Upload Speed:
      • 128kbps Or 16KB/s
      • Console:

ty for all the help, will go for the FU then
    will cost atleast 38K-41K for the 16gb ones.