• Very Satisfied
      • ISP:
      • ICC
      • Download Speed:
      • 300kbps
      • Upload Speed:
      • 400kbps

Default How Grand Theft Auto III Was Made

IGN reveals the behind-the-scenes story of how Rockstar reimagined video games and won a huge new audience.

"Objects contain the possibility of all situations," Ludwig Wittgenstein wrote. He was not talking about Grand Theft Auto III, but the process by which Rockstar's open world game came to be is a model of the sentiment.

Perhaps more than any other form, video games are bound by the expectations of their audience. What is thought possible is based on what has been done in the past. Acolytes and apologists spend a lot of time talking about what video games might one day become or what they could theoretically be capable of. It's lucky to encounter a person or group not willing to postpone that future. With Grand Theft Auto III, Rockstar Games made history by refusing to accept the idea that there were places games couldn't yet go. Instead, they took them there. This is how they did it.

"We felt that not only was the content of video games becoming very staid, focused primarily on fantasy, children's characters or science fiction, but also the gameplay of those games was becoming very predictable," Dan Houser told Design Museum,"We felt that video games, interactive entertainment or whatever you wanted to call it could also appeal to a bigger, wider audience - older people who enjoyed playing games, but did not do so to the exclusion of everything else. People with an interest in film, music, books and a broader sense of popular culture."

Houser, along with his brother Sam, had worked for BMG Interactive, the video game arm of the music conglomerate. The pair approached video games as a form of culture and not a curiosity of computer programming. "We were more heavily influenced by companies working in other media which had a sense of style that we admired - record labels, obviously, and clothing companies, which were obsessed with details and with an integrity between design, product and marketing," Houser said.

The Housers found like-minded partners in DMA Design, a Scottish studio that had created the Lemmings series on PC and been a part of the "Dream Team" group of N64 developers with Body Harvest and Space Station Silicon Valley. With BMG Interactive producing and consulting, DMA developed the first Grand Theft Auto for PC, a top-down cars and crime game where players had to raise money for mob fifes by pulling off increasingly elaborate crimes while evading the police.

The series was a success, fostering a sequel, two expansion packs, and a port to the original PlayStation, with cumulative sales topping 6 million units. In 1998 , BMG sold its games division to TakeTwo and the Housers rebranded themselves Rockstar Games. With the new identity and the promise of new technological possibility of the PlayStation 2, they decided to gamble with the creative principles behind GTA.

"We felt that as the hardware improved, we could put more and more detail into the games and begin to make the game we dreamt of playing," Houser said. "A product which was three things at the same time--a game, a movie and a chance to explore and to be amused by a strange place."

Dan Houser

The biggest change came in the move to 3D. With the overhead perspective all of the series' hallmarks (sarcastic humor, creative violence, freedom of movement) had been more theoretical. Bringing the camera down to street level would mean translating those distant overhead ideas into direct emotional experiences.

"I can recall Sam, more than a few times, asking 'Are we crazy? Is this going to work?', and he wasn't just asking rhetorically, he was really questioning it," Jeremy Pope told IGN. Pope, now an independent game producer and consultant, joined Rockstar in early 2000 and served as an associate producer on GTA III. "We were looking at a gray, blocky world. Nothing had been textured yet. It was easy to see there was massive potential, but no one was completely floored."

Most of the design work on the game was handled at DMA in Scotland, at that point a modest team of 23 artists, designers, programmers, and musicians. With the PlayStation 2's move to DVD storage--a huge leap in capacity over the original PlayStation's compact discs--the team decided they could create an full-sized city, and not just a series of walled-off neighborhoods.

Jeremy Pope

"The underlying principle for us when creating the game's concept was for us to create a city and breathe as much life into it as possible," Leslie Benzies, DMA's (and now Rockstar North's) lead producer, told IGN in 2001. "Give it an underworld, complete with turf wars, fights and so on. Populate it with everyone from muggers to respectable businessmen. Fill it with a load of cars and then let the player loose in the underworld. They can do whatever they want in it."

Before anything else could be done, the game needed an engine that could constantly stream new data from the game disc without forcing players to sit through a loading screen. "There was a lot of back and forth and tuning done to get the level of detail right so that the streaming would actually work the way we wanted it to work," Pope said. "You needed to be able to get into a car and drive at full speed and not have everything break down. It took a lot of tuning and technical tricks to get that done."

Leslie Benzies

The basic technical elements all began to come together in the summer of 2000, with a stable streaming model and a prototype for the carjacking mechanic set in place. The game now needed some creative life, a sense of story, mood, and a way of carving a mission structure into the freeform world. All throughout Dan Houser and James Worrall had been working on the game's massive script.

"GTA III was as polished a script as I've ever seen," Navid Khonsari said. Khonsari was originally hired by Rockstar in early 2001 to direct the motion capture for all the game's cinematics, and he subsequently stayed on with the company, helping to evolve their approach to woven cinema and gameplay. "When they brought me in and gave me the scripts I really got a sense of how ambitious everyone was on every level. It was something I wanted to be a part of, it was really powerful to have all these people so excited and creative about doing something. It was kind of addictive to be around."

The story's reference-points are not obscure. Houser and Worrall drew heavily on gangster plot traps and the deglamorized mafiosi of Scorsese films. Yet, the team went to great lengths to consider how this sensibility could be made interactive, hewing as closely as possible to mission objectives.

Navid Khonsari

"I remember going to Scotland early on and Dan and James would sit with the designers and just kick out this story that the guys loved," Pope said. "They'd give them the skeleton in this kind of Miyamoto style. They'd fill a room with post-it notes and take all the story components and reposition them to shape the whole game. They'd know they wanted one particular scene at a certain point in the story and they'd ask what kind of gameplay could we add to that scene."

As progress was made in tying the game's plot points to missions builds were sent to New York for testing. "A lot of our work in New York had to do with getting the flow right," Pope continued. "It would be everything from one mission taking way too long and making you lose sight of the story, or another mission bringing you through an area where you get lost in the sandbox-tinker mode."

"One of the things we tried to do was use the missions to introduce new tidbits in the game. We'd lead you up onto this rooftop where you'd get the sniper rifle. Even though it had been there the whole time, you probably weren't going to find it on your own. Using little things like that helped to keep the missions interesting."

Another challenge came in trying to make a video game cutscene with polygon-bound puppets carry the same dramatic weight as a movie. "The attitude at Rockstar was more about treating the cinematic as something that could take a good game and make it great," Khonsari said. "The cutscenes became a reflection of the environment and how the people interacted in it. It wasn't just about spelling out how to get from level one to level two."

Yet, even with advances of processor speed, system memory, and storage capacity, Rockstar had to work within some significant technical restraints. "We were limited with how many people we could fit in a motion-capture volume, and how big the volume could be," Khonsari said. "We actually had to string a number of pieces together from different shots to put a scene together."

Khonsari's background was in traditional film production but he quickly realized he had to rely on the help of other team members to get the scenes right. "I was working really closely with Alex Horton who was doing the animation for the game, to figure out how to get the camera in the right place, have cutaways, or use props that could help tell the story," he said.

"I really like having the constraints of technology, the limitations of motion capture at the time, trying to match all the audio we recorded outside of the motion capture, or like when the camera starts going through the wall--all those little glitches that you have to deal with, that all made us stronger. It allowed us to put aside anything that seemed frivolous and focus on what we really wanted to do."

Khonsari also found himself trying to explain to actors just what it is they were supposed to be imagining. Today actors have become as familiar with video game voiceover work as they were with animated film, but in 2001, the concept was still a strange one. "A lot of the actors had in their head the idea that because video games are animated their performances needed to be animated," Khonsari said.

"We had to continually bring those people down and remind them we weren't going for anything over the top. We wanted natural, subtle performances, and getting that across was sort of a challenge. A lot of them were older and didn't really play games. One of them literally told me the last game he'd played was Pong and so we had to get him kind of updated on technology and what had happened since then."

As GTA III drew nearer to its October release date it was hard to know how big an impact the game would have. "We weren't entirely sure that people were going to get it and really take their time to see how much was there," Pope said. "Seeing the reaction at E3 to State of Emergency and the relative ignoring of GTA III because we were 10 feet away at another kiosk--I think that cast some doubts. But in the back of our minds we all believed we had made something pretty special."

The team received another shock six weeks before the release date when the 9/11 attacks cased Rockstar's downtown Manhattan offices to shut down for almost a week. Rockstar decided to make a few last minute changes out of respect for the event, removing a jumbo jet that would periodically cruise through Liberty City's skies, deleting a side character, and changing the color scheme on the police cars so as not to draw comparison to the NYPD.

When GTA III was finally released, the game was given mostly lavish reviews, including Doug Perry's assessment in IGN concluding it was "absolutely, insanely good." The game continued to sell week after week and month after month, prompting a wave of media criticism that would eventually reanimate Jack Thompson, the lawyer who once crusaded against the 2 Live Crew.

The game also gave many at Rockstar a glimpse at public recognition. "I remember being in bars and people would come up, like a frat boy or something, and freak out, 'Oh my god, I can't believe you worked on that game!'" Pope recalled. "Even the women in bars had heard of it. It was really satisfying, especially after toiling away a bit on lesser known titles it was nice to finally be a part of something big."

This fame and notoriety also helped to formulate Rockstar's aversion to assigning too much credit to any individual in the creative process. "It's not me and it's not Sam and it's not Leslie, even though we're all heavily involved," Houser told Variety in 2008. "It's us and another well over 100 other people."

Yet there is something irrefutably special about the core group of people who worked on the game, and who remain central to Rockstar and Rockstar North a decade later--the Housers, Leslie Benzies, the art director Aaron Garbut, Lazlow Jones who scripted all the radio stations and solidified the particular sense of sarcasm GTA has become known for. If no one can be singled out, the collective work of these people is distinctive and historic.

"There was such a high bar set in terms of expectations and creativity," Khonsari recalled. "That's stayed with me and it still carries on now, aiming for a great level of detail, perfection, and having a great respect for the player. There was a high level of understanding that the game you release is a reflection of you, so don't slack off. I've carried with me since I left Rockstar."

All great works of human imagination find their place into the world only when someone is ready to believe that they are possible. There were thousands of reasons why Grand Theft Auto III was impossible to finish, but a small number of people inside Rockstar had imagined it, dreamed it, so, for them, how could it not be possible? "It starts at the top," Pope said "People like Sam and Dan understand pop culture so well and have so much experience to draw from. When you have people like that driving things, it gives you a solid blueprint and instills passion in everyone's work, so it becomes kind of a self-fulfilling project."

Source: IGN

Like my Facebook page Gaming Newz for new gaming news updates.

My Facebook Twitter YouTube Steam

• Badhon's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • GIGABYTE GA-G31M-ES2C (Rev. 1.x) (Intel G31 Chipset)
      • CPU:
      • Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5200 (2.5 GHz, 800 FSB, 2 MB L2 Cache, 45nm) (Default Clock)
      • RAM:
      • 1x Patriot 2GB DDR2 800 Bus (Single Channel) (Crappy Brand)
      • Hard Drive:
      • SAMSUNG F1 320GB SATA 7200RPM
      • Graphics Card:
      • Onboard
      • Display:
      • SAMSUNG SyncMaster 550s 15" (Max. Resolution 1024x768) (White)
      • Sound Card:
      • Onboard (Realtek 8-Channel HD)
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Microlab M-119 2:1 Amplified Subwoofer System (Black)
      • Keyboard:
      • Perfect
      • Mouse:
      • Leno Optical
      • Controller:
      • USB Network Joystic
      • Power Supply:
      • Value-Top 400w
      • Optical Drive:
      • LiteON 16x DVD-ROM
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate x86 Genuine
      • Comment:
      • My Girlfriend
      • ISP:
      • Banglalion
      • Download Speed:
      • Avg. 30-40 KBps.
      • Upload Speed:
      • Slower Than A Turtles
      • Console:

Default Re: How Grand Theft Auto III Was Made

Hmmmm..........Tahole Gameing Industry Er 1st SandBox Game Body Harvest Er Pichone DMA Design Mane Ajker Rockstar North Er Haat Ase. Great Work Rockstar. Keep It Up
    A strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own

• sadi_warhead's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI G41
      • CPU:
      • Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8400 @ 2.66GHz (4 CPUs)
      • RAM:
      • ADATA 4096MB RAM DDR3
      • Hard Drive:
      • 1 TB Samsung H3
      • Graphics Card:
      • Gigabyte GTX 560OC-1GI 1 GB
      • Display:
      • 22" samsung 2233sw
      • Sound Card:
      • Realtek HD Audio output input
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Creative 2.1/A4tech headphones
      • Keyboard:
      • BenQ mulitmedia
      • Mouse:
      • A4 teCH
      • Controller:
      • Sony controller
      • Power Supply:
      • Fortex 600w
      • Optical Drive:
      • Samsung DVD RW
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600)
      • Comment:
      • Motamuti-:| :)
      • ISP:
      • Ispros
      • Console:

they made a new side about gaming

Fly High, Do or Die, Dare to Dream, Cheer Extreme!

• pollob.codename13's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte G31
      • CPU:
      • Intel Pentium Duel Core E5200 2.5GHz
      • RAM:
      • 1+1 GB DDR2 667 MHz
      • Hard Drive:
      • Hitachi 500GB
      • Graphics Card:
      • Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 4770 GDDR5 512 MB
      • Display:
      • Samsung SyncMaster B2030
      • Sound Card:
      • Realtek built-in
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • csm
      • Keyboard:
      • A4 Tech
      • Mouse:
      • Toshiba
      • Controller:
      • Sonic Dual Shock
      • Power Supply:
      • Normal
      • Comment:
      • I always feel my pc

ahh gta3 ... one of most influential game in my life .... first sandbox I played .... dinraat pc-r shamne boisha thaika ei game je koto khelsilam in 2003 te
    that was really good old days ... ei game ta actually onek gamer kei influence korsilo ... ei karone rockster specially eita nia 10th anniversary palon kortese
    steam also ei upolokkhe gta whole collection only $12 e sell kortese

• Scott Pilgrim's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • Doesn't run Evil Within.
      • CPU:
      • RAM:
      • Hard Drive:
      • Graphics Card:
      • Display:
      • Sound Card:
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Keyboard:
      • Mouse:
      • Controller:
      • Power Supply:
      • Optical Drive:
      • USB Devices:
      • UPS:
      • Operating System:
      • Benchmark Scores:
      • Comment:
      • ISP:
      • Download Speed:
      • Upload Speed:
    Under the rainbow, over the hill. Where nobody dies, but nobody lives.

would be cooler if they re-released in HD/Rage Engine!!!

Publisher
    • anik_lc's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B250M Bazooka
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-7700 Kaby Lake 3.6-4.20GHz 8MG Cache 7th Gen
      • RAM:
      • 2x Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR4 2400 BUS
      • Hard Drive:
      • Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB SATA + 1TB Western Digital Blue
      • Graphics Card:
      • Sapphire Nitro + AMD RX 480 8GB GDDR5 OC
      • Display:
      • Samsung 21.5 inch Curved LED
      • Sound Card:
      • Built In
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Logitech H110 Headphone
      • Keyboard:
      • Perfect CS-556 USB Keyboard
      • Mouse:
      • Delux DLM-137BU Optical USB Mouse
      • Controller:
      • N/A
      • Power Supply:
      • Thermaltake PS-TR2 600W 80Plus Bronze Power Supply
      • UPS:
      • Power Guard 1200 VA
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Comment:
      • Very Satisfied
      • ISP:
      • ICC
      • Download Speed:
      • 300kbps
      • Upload Speed:
      • 400kbps

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pilgrim View Post
    would be cooler if they re-released in HD/Rage Engine!!!
    How about Frostbite 2?

• Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • RAM:
      • Hard Drive:
      • Graphics Card:
      • Display:
      • Sound Card:
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Keyboard:
      • Mouse:
      • Controller:
      • Power Supply:
      • Optical Drive:
      • USB Devices:
      • UPS:
      • Operating System:
      • Benchmark Scores:
      • Comment:
      • ISP:
      • Download Speed:
      • Upload Speed:

Quote Originally Posted by anik_lc View Post
    How about Frostbite 2?
    Destroying a very beautiful city is just not my thing

Publisher
    • anik_lc's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B250M Bazooka
      • CPU:
      • RAM:
      • Hard Drive:
      • Graphics Card:
      • Display:
      • Sound Card:
      • Built In
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Keyboard:
      • Mouse:
      • Controller:
      • N/A
      • Power Supply:
      • UPS:
      • Power Guard 1200 VA
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Comment:
      • Very Satisfied
      • ISP:
      • ICC
      • Download Speed:
      • 300kbps
      • Upload Speed:
      • 400kbps

Destroying a very beautiful city is just not my thing
    You know that The Run & ME2 is also making with Frostbite 2, aren't you?

• Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • RAM:
      • Hard Drive:
      • Graphics Card:
      • Display:
      • Sound Card:
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Keyboard:
      • Mouse:
      • Controller:
      • Power Supply:
      • Optical Drive:
      • USB Devices:
      • UPS:
      • Operating System:
      • Benchmark Scores:
      • Comment:
      • ISP:
      • Download Speed:
      • Upload Speed:

Quote Originally Posted by anik_lc View Post
    You know that The Run & ME2 is also making with Frostbite 2, aren't you?
    Mass Effect 2? aanyways mass effect 2 isn't made with frostbite.

And NFS: The Run will suck because of Frostbite. Don't believe me? watch the critics reaction after the game.

oh Mirrors Edge 2... i hope it's good, because the first one was very good. Maybe it would be the only game of Frostbite that I would like.

Anyways, this is way too offtopic. Frostbite has nothing to do with GTA III or Rockstar.

Publisher
    • anik_lc's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B250M Bazooka
      • CPU:
      • RAM:
      • Hard Drive:
      • Graphics Card:
      • Display:
      • Sound Card:
      • Built In
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Keyboard:
      • Mouse:
      • Controller:
      • N/A
      • Power Supply:
      • UPS:
      • Power Guard 1200 VA
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Comment:
      • Very Satisfied
      • ISP:
      • ICC
      • Download Speed:
      • 300kbps
      • Upload Speed:
      • 400kbps

Mass Effect 2? aanyways mass effect 2 isn't made with frostbite.

And NFS: The Run will suck because of Frostbite. Don't believe me? watch the critics reaction after the game.

oh Mirrors Edge 2... i hope it's good, because the first one was very good. Maybe it would be the only game of Frostbite that I would like.

Anyways, this is way too offtopic. Frostbite has nothing to do with GTA III or Rockstar.
    Yeah Mirrors Edge 2, not Mass Effect.

• Dhumketu's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigbyte X58 USB 3.0
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz L3 8MB cache Quad Core
      • RAM:
      • 8 GB DDR 3 1600 MHz
      • Hard Drive:
      • WD 500 GB
      • Graphics Card:
      • MSI NVDIA GTX 760 4 GB
      • Display:
      • SONY Bravia 20" LCD
      • Sound Card:
      • Built-in
      • Controller:
      • Razer Onza TE
      • Power Supply:
      • Gigabyte 600 Watt
      • Optical Drive:
      • HP SATA DVD-Writer
      • UPS:
      • Rahimafrooz 1000 VA
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7, Ubuntu 10.12
      • ISP:
      • Link 3
      • Console:

Scott anik মিয়া তোমগো দুইজন রে ধইরা মাইর দিমু, যেখানে যায় সেখানেই BF3, Frostbite, BF vs COD...কী লাগাইসেন এগুলা???
    Most people think time is like a river, that flows swift and sure in one direction. But I have seen the face of time, and I can tell you, they are wrong. Time is an ocean in a storm. You may wonder who I really am, and why I say this. Come, and I will tell you a tale like none you have ever heard.

• SinisterFahim's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-945GCMX-S2
      • CPU:
      • Core 2 Duo E4500
      • RAM:
      • Twinmos 1GB + 2GB = 3GB DDR2 (800 Mhz)
      • Hard Drive:
      • Hitachi 1TB
      • Graphics Card:
      • ATi Radeon X1050
      • Display:
      • Asus MS228H
      • Sound Card:
      • On-Board......
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Creative Inspire M4500. (Going To Get A Microlab SOLO 7C ASAP)
      • Keyboard:
      • A4 Tech Basic Keyboard
      • Mouse:
      • Genius 120 NetScroll
      • Controller:
      • Don't Have One For PC Gaming..........
      • Power Supply:
      • Generic 440W.....
      • Optical Drive:
      • Lite-On 16X Combo & ASUS 24X Dual Layer DVD-RW
      • USB Devices:
      • Transcend 25M2 500GB External HardDrive ll Apacer 8GB AH324 ll Apacer 8GB AH332 ll Transcend V30 8GB
      • UPS:
      • Mercury 1200VA
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 (62-Bit)
      • Comment:
      • Sucks, I Know........!!!!
      • ISP:
      • Banglalion WiMax
      • Download Speed:
      • 512kbps OR 64KB/s
      • Upload Speed:
      • 128kbps Or 16KB/s
      • Console:

Thumbs up for the rockstars at Rockstar...