I am having a weird problem with USB pen-drives at my office.
Due to some limitations in the office network (that we are working on), we move data thru pen-drives. This is also to train staff initially to an automated environment. Some EOD (end of day) data has to be moved via a PD frm server to processing computers.
1) New transcend 4gb pen-drive suddenly shows no data - even when data has been copied an checked frm the server. When put in the processing machine, some folders are just gone! Folder icons are changed with a small arrow on their lower left. This was yesterday.
2) Today - as soon as the PD is inserted Eset AV finds a virus and quarantines or deletes the folders to be transferred.
3) We tried recopying the files from the server; got the message - folder already exists, do you want to overwrite? But opening the PD we do not see any files at all. Tried hiding/unhiding - shows nothing.
4) Updated AV, cleaned the machines. Cleaned PD even formatted it. Same thing happens all over again. We copy from server, take to processing machine. AV deletes files/folders. When we try recopy, we get the overwrite message! There is nothing seen on the PD. The PD however easily copies other files.
5) Two of our older PDs - APACER 4gb and a TRANSCEND 2gb had the same probs. I thought it is disc error. I am guessing some kind of virus in the server. The server is very old and last IT officer never used a proper AV.
DO u guys think it is a virus?
What would be an AV for server running WIN 2000?
Suggestions are welcome.