Labels boss says company has to "stay fresh and ahead of the curve"

EA "always has new IPs in development" and is targeting "one to two" a year going forward, new EA Labels president Frank Gibeau has said.

Speaking to CVG in Cologne, the former EA Games boss admitted the publisher's current line-up is populated mainly by proven franchises, but he committed to more fresh titles from the company in the future.

"We're always going to be in the new IP business," he said. "It's entertainment - we have to stay fresh and we've got to change with the times and stay ahead of the curve in terms of what people are anticipating and want.

"We're always going to be building new IP and the mix that we have now is... you're right, we do have a lot more titles now that are proven, where as a few years ago we we're coming out with a lot of IPs because the cupboards were bare. We had been a licensed-oriented group."

He added: "Of course I'm talking about the Games label at that time; it was Bond, Potter and Lord of the Rings. As those went away or diminished, we didn't have anything."

That, Gibeau explained, was the reason the company decided to invest in fresh titles back in 2008, releasing the well-received Mirror's Edge and Dead Space, and it looks likely those won't be the last original games from the publisher this generation...

"I figure we'll probably be doing one to two new IPs a year as far out as I can see - and we always have new IPs in development," the exec stated.

"We go through a green light process and in technology development and gameplay development we're always looking at new, fresh ways at applying product."

In the same interview, Gibeau didn't rule out rebooting classic EA franchises either. In fact, he told CVG the publisher is looking to re-imagine and bring back "a couple" of classic franchises.