User Tag List

Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Laptop suggestion around $1000

  1. #1
    Member
    • [email protected]'s Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z97x-UD3H-BK
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 4690k OC to 4.5Ghz
      • RAM:
      • G Skill 16 GB DDR3 2200MHz
      • Hard Drive:
      • 256GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD + 2 TB WD Black
      • Graphics Card:
      • Asus Geforce 970 4GB
      • Display:
      • Asus 21.5 inch IPS monitor
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Audioengine A2 plus Dayton 8 inch subwoofer
      • Keyboard:
      • Logitech K120
      • Mouse:
      • Logitech G500s
      • Controller:
      • Original Microsoft Xbox One wired controller
      • Power Supply:
      • EVGA G2 750W 80 plus Gold
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    Tom@L's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    San Francisco, USA
    Posts
    6,495

    Default Laptop suggestion around $1000

    I need a laptop suggestion from u guys. It needs to be durable and also multimedia and light gaming ready.

    I have hp dv6, dell xps 15z and lenovo thinkpads on my mind.

    What are your suggestions ??

  2. #2
    Forum Staff
    • aayman's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X370 Gaming Pro
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 1700 @3.7GHz (H100i v2)
      • RAM:
      • 2x8GB Trident Z 3600Mhz
      • Hard Drive:
      • 960 EVO 250GB + SanDisk SSDX 960GB + 1TB WD Black
      • Graphics Card:
      • EVGA 1070 FTW
      • Display:
      • ASUS PG279Q + Dell U2312HM
      • Sound Card:
      • Creative Sound Blaster Zx
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Sennheiser PC350SE + Phillips SPH9500
      • Keyboard:
      • CM QuickFire Stealth
      • Mouse:
      • FinalMouse Scream One | Logitech G403
      • Controller:
      • Steam Controller
      • Power Supply:
      • Corsair AX850
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 1703
      • ISP:
      • AmberIT
    aayman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    13,791

    Default Re: Laptop suggestion around $1000

    Ami aschilam bolte MBA er kotha then I saw 'light gaming' lol

  3. #3
    Member
    • [email protected]'s Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z97x-UD3H-BK
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 4690k OC to 4.5Ghz
      • RAM:
      • G Skill 16 GB DDR3 2200MHz
      • Hard Drive:
      • 256GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD + 2 TB WD Black
      • Graphics Card:
      • Asus Geforce 970 4GB
      • Display:
      • Asus 21.5 inch IPS monitor
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Audioengine A2 plus Dayton 8 inch subwoofer
      • Keyboard:
      • Logitech K120
      • Mouse:
      • Logitech G500s
      • Controller:
      • Original Microsoft Xbox One wired controller
      • Power Supply:
      • EVGA G2 750W 80 plus Gold
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    Tom@L's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    San Francisco, USA
    Posts
    6,495

    Default Re: Laptop suggestion around $1000

    lol tumi konta kinla finally ??

  4. #4
    Moderator
    • Mazhar's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • building
      • CPU:
      • the
      • RAM:
      • new
      • Hard Drive:
      • pc
      • Graphics Card:
      • in
      • Display:
      • a
      • Sound Card:
      • month
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Sennheiser HD650/Shure SRH-840
      • Keyboard:
      • Sidewinder X4
      • Mouse:
      • Logitech G300
      • Controller:
      • Xbox 360 Controller
      • Power Supply:
      • Corsair AX750
      • Optical Drive:
      • Sony 20X DVD-RW
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium
      • ISP:
      • Talktalk Fiber
      • Download Speed:
      • 3400
      • Upload Speed:
      • 240
    Mazhar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,904

    Default Re: Laptop suggestion around $1000

    I know you stated in $ but are you getting it from the US?

    Also, does it have to be thin/light? Whats the max thickness/weight permitted? The cost depends a lot on that factor. Im currently using my brother's XPS 15 L502x, but the XPS 15z costs more for the same spec because its thinner/lighter (XPS 15 L502x can be spec'd higher though). Same goes for the Thinkpads, I have an E420s (s stands for slim in Lenovo's line - T420s, E420s etc) and that carries a ~$200 premium compared to the thicker E420 though admittedly the E420s uses better materials as well as a magnesium-aluminium inner body which the E420 doesnt have.

    What do you mean by multimedia, do you need the remote n stuff or does it just need decent speakers? By light gaming, im assuming you need to play some current/upcoming latest titles at low settings for a couple of years at 768/900p or is the requirement higher?
    Last edited by Mazhar; August 21st, 2011 at 13:01.

  5. #5
    Member Raa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sylhet
    Posts
    170

    Default Re: Laptop suggestion around $1000

    http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/sh...ies&aoid=35252

    this envy model is superbly balanced. I got it in logic buy. the basic setup has a 1gb 6850m gpu, core i5 sandybridge. Backlit keyboard, & aluminium body as all envy. It also has many customization options.

    May be u will like it.

  6. #6
    Member
    • [email protected]'s Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z97x-UD3H-BK
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 4690k OC to 4.5Ghz
      • RAM:
      • G Skill 16 GB DDR3 2200MHz
      • Hard Drive:
      • 256GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD + 2 TB WD Black
      • Graphics Card:
      • Asus Geforce 970 4GB
      • Display:
      • Asus 21.5 inch IPS monitor
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Audioengine A2 plus Dayton 8 inch subwoofer
      • Keyboard:
      • Logitech K120
      • Mouse:
      • Logitech G500s
      • Controller:
      • Original Microsoft Xbox One wired controller
      • Power Supply:
      • EVGA G2 750W 80 plus Gold
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    Tom@L's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    San Francisco, USA
    Posts
    6,495

    Default Re: Laptop suggestion around $1000

    Quote Originally Posted by Mazhar View Post
    I know you stated in $ but are you getting it from the US?

    Also, does it have to be thin/light? Whats the max thickness/weight permitted? The cost depends a lot on that factor. Im currently using my brother's XPS 15 L502x, but the XPS 15z costs more for the same spec because its thinner/lighter (XPS 15 L502x can be spec'd higher though). Same goes for the Thinkpads, I have an E420s (s stands for slim in Lenovo's line - T420s, E420s etc) and that carries a ~$200 premium compared to the thicker E420 though admittedly the E420s uses better materials as well as a magnesium-aluminium inner body which the E420 doesnt have.

    What do you mean by multimedia, do you need the remote n stuff or does it just need decent speakers? By light gaming, im assuming you need to play some current/upcoming latest titles at low settings for a couple of years at 768/900p or is the requirement higher?
    yeah i will purchase from US. I want to give the order online today so dat i get the laptop by end of this week.

    I need to play light games such as upcoming dota 2 or other multiplayer games if possible. I also need a good 15.6" screen (which i meant as multimedia), preferable with 1080p resolution. Also reliability is a factor since 1 grand is a lot of money.

    I have these in mind, such as XPS L502 u mentioned.

    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dell+-+XPS+Laptop+/+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B+i7+Processor+/+15.6"+Display+/+8GB+Memory+/+750GB+Hard+Drive+-+Silver/2817255.p?id=1218353393327&skuId=2817255

    http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/c...B5&action=init

    I also thought I will buy dell 15z but many forums are saying the build quality is not good and it has wireless card issues.

    Are the Dell XPS models reliable ???? Will they last few years. I know Lenovo thinkpads or apple macbook will easily last 3 years but they are overpriced.

  7. #7
    Member Raa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sylhet
    Posts
    170

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    yeah i will purchase from US. I want to give the order online today so dat i get the laptop by end of this week.I need to play light games such as upcoming dota 2 or other multiplayer games if possible. I also need a good 15.6" screen (which i meant as multimedia), preferable with 1080p resolution. Also reliability is a factor since 1 grand is a lot of money.I have these in mind, such as XPS L502 u mentioned.http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dell+-+XPS+Laptop+/+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B+i7+Processor+/+15.6"+Display+/+8GB+Memory+/+750GB+Hard+Drive+-+Silver/2817255.p?id=1218353393327&skuId=2817255http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/c...B5&action=initI also thought I will buy dell 15z but many forums are saying the build quality is not good and it has wireless card issues.Are the Dell XPS models reliable ???? Will they last few years. I know Lenovo thinkpads or apple macbook will easily last 3 years but they are overpriced.
    ur xps link is not working, so no comment. Lenovo models have poor gpus, i fear if u can play dota other than dota2.And 1080p in laptop means at least 100$ price premium over $1k, As current market. But its upto u.

  8. #8
    Member
    • [email protected]'s Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z97x-UD3H-BK
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 4690k OC to 4.5Ghz
      • RAM:
      • G Skill 16 GB DDR3 2200MHz
      • Hard Drive:
      • 256GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD + 2 TB WD Black
      • Graphics Card:
      • Asus Geforce 970 4GB
      • Display:
      • Asus 21.5 inch IPS monitor
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Audioengine A2 plus Dayton 8 inch subwoofer
      • Keyboard:
      • Logitech K120
      • Mouse:
      • Logitech G500s
      • Controller:
      • Original Microsoft Xbox One wired controller
      • Power Supply:
      • EVGA G2 750W 80 plus Gold
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    Tom@L's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    San Francisco, USA
    Posts
    6,495

    Default Re: Laptop suggestion around $1000

    Quote Originally Posted by Raa View Post
    ur xps link is not working, so no comment. Lenovo models have poor gpus, i fear if u can play dota other than dota2.And 1080p in laptop means at least 100$ price premium over $1k, As current market. But its upto u.
    check now

    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dell+-+X...&skuId=2817255

  9. #9
    Forum Staff
    • aayman's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X370 Gaming Pro
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 1700 @3.7GHz (H100i v2)
      • RAM:
      • 2x8GB Trident Z 3600Mhz
      • Hard Drive:
      • 960 EVO 250GB + SanDisk SSDX 960GB + 1TB WD Black
      • Graphics Card:
      • EVGA 1070 FTW
      • Display:
      • ASUS PG279Q + Dell U2312HM
      • Sound Card:
      • Creative Sound Blaster Zx
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Sennheiser PC350SE + Phillips SPH9500
      • Keyboard:
      • CM QuickFire Stealth
      • Mouse:
      • FinalMouse Scream One | Logitech G403
      • Controller:
      • Steam Controller
      • Power Supply:
      • Corsair AX850
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 1703
      • ISP:
      • AmberIT
    aayman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    13,791

    Default Re: Laptop suggestion around $1000

    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    lol tumi konta kinla finally ??
    Amar first e 13" kinar kotha, pore after a trip to the apple store, I cancelled my order immediately and got the 11" i7 4GB/128GB instead

    Oh I bought it tax free to so lot of savings You should do the same. Newegg, Amazon, PCmall (I got mine from Macmall) are all tax free.

    ---------- Post added at 21:52 ---------- Previous post was at 21:51 ----------

    Oh ya I kinda have to agree about the build quality of the 15z, it's not very impressive Specs wise very good though.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Laptop suggestion around $1000

    You can get a Asus G73JH-BST7 at that price like me...I got my one per-configured on xoticpc.com...
    You can get one refurbished from Newegg at 999.99 USD...

  11. #11
    Member
    • Banglavai's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus VI Hero
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 4670k
      • RAM:
      • G-Skill Ripjaws X 2X 8GB 1600
      • Hard Drive:
      • 2X Samsung EVO 840 240GB
      • Graphics Card:
      • Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce OC
      • Display:
      • Asus MX279H 27 inch
      • Sound Card:
      • ROG SupremeFX 8-Channel High Definition Audio
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Bose 301 Direct / Sennheiser Momentum 2.0
      • Keyboard:
      • Logitech G105
      • Mouse:
      • Logitech G5
      • Controller:
      • Xbox 360(usb wired)
      • Power Supply:
      • Fractral Design 650 watt 80 plus gold
      • UPS:
      • No need at all
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 64bit Professional
      • Download Speed:
      • 100 Mbps
      • Upload Speed:
      • 30 Mbps
      • Console:
      • 146
    Banglavai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    1,135

    Default Re: Laptop suggestion around $1000

    Xps 15z ta joss.kinda mac mac lage.But JBL ta jodi thakto taile amr mote multimedia laptop + light gaming within 999$ thats awesome

  12. #12
    Member
    • [email protected]'s Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z97x-UD3H-BK
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 4690k OC to 4.5Ghz
      • RAM:
      • G Skill 16 GB DDR3 2200MHz
      • Hard Drive:
      • 256GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD + 2 TB WD Black
      • Graphics Card:
      • Asus Geforce 970 4GB
      • Display:
      • Asus 21.5 inch IPS monitor
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Audioengine A2 plus Dayton 8 inch subwoofer
      • Keyboard:
      • Logitech K120
      • Mouse:
      • Logitech G500s
      • Controller:
      • Original Microsoft Xbox One wired controller
      • Power Supply:
      • EVGA G2 750W 80 plus Gold
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    Tom@L's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    San Francisco, USA
    Posts
    6,495

    Default Re: Laptop suggestion around $1000

    Quote Originally Posted by FATAL1TY View Post
    You can get a Asus G73JH-BST7 at that price like me...I got my one per-configured on xoticpc.com...
    You can get one refurbished from Newegg at 999.99 USD...
    but that has 17inch screen. I dont want anything more than 15.6 for mobility.

    ---------- Post added at 23:17 ---------- Previous post was at 23:07 ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Banglavai View Post
    Xps 15z ta joss.kinda mac mac lage.But JBL ta jodi thakto taile amr mote multimedia laptop + light gaming within 999$ thats awesome
    JBL speakers ta ager XPS e ase. Oitar link i disi from best buy. Oitau kinar list e ase

    ---------- Post added at 23:32 ---------- Previous post was at 23:17 ----------

    sager notebooks kamon ???? onek forum ei dekhlaam

    http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.p...el_name=NP5160

  13. #13
    Member
    • @bhi's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 4670k
      • RAM:
      • Samsung 30nm 2x4GB
      • Hard Drive:
      • WD10EZEX 1 TB + Seagate 120GB
      • Graphics Card:
      • Gigabyte HD7950 3GB WF3
      • Display:
      • Samsung 20" LED BX-2035
      • Sound Card:
      • Creative SoundBlaster Z
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Microlab Solo 7C
      • Keyboard:
      • Logitech K-120
      • Mouse:
      • Logitech mx518
      • Controller:
      • XBOX 360 wireless controller
      • Power Supply:
      • Seasonic X-650 km3 80+ Gold
      • UPS:
      • Luminous Solo 1200 VA
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 x64
      • ISP:
      • Link3 512kbps
      • Download Speed:
      • ~60
      • Upload Speed:
      • ~55
    @bhi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    On My Chair
    Posts
    2,385
    Last edited by @bhi; August 22nd, 2011 at 00:58.

  14. #14
    Moderator
    • Mazhar's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • building
      • CPU:
      • the
      • RAM:
      • new
      • Hard Drive:
      • pc
      • Graphics Card:
      • in
      • Display:
      • a
      • Sound Card:
      • month
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Sennheiser HD650/Shure SRH-840
      • Keyboard:
      • Sidewinder X4
      • Mouse:
      • Logitech G300
      • Controller:
      • Xbox 360 Controller
      • Power Supply:
      • Corsair AX750
      • Optical Drive:
      • Sony 20X DVD-RW
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium
      • ISP:
      • Talktalk Fiber
      • Download Speed:
      • 3400
      • Upload Speed:
      • 240
    Mazhar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,904

    Default Re: Laptop suggestion around $1000

    Yes XPS are pretty reliable in general when it comes to reliability. I was servicing one which was sent to me a few days back. Three years old and it held up pretty well, good space between the fins so dust doesn't trap air, sturdy construction and fans used were good quality. I assume they have kept those traits and the L502x seems pretty sturdy.

    Of course, Lenovo Thinkpads top reliability, cooling and build quality, especially the T series(see some youtube videos with cars going over them its funny). Problem is though, they carry a hefty price premium (aside from the standard E series, not the 's' variants which are almost like T series). Second problem is graphics, they dont usually carry good ones. Theres a T420 with 10% off and NVS 4200M for around $970, but the 4200M is not that powerful, same as a GT520M. Might look at the Y series, but you'll get a better spec'd XPS for the same price.

    For a decent build quality, screen and graphics along with one of the best speakers you can get for a laptop, get the regular XPS 15. You should spec it to have a backlit keyboard and 1080p screen, trust me they will be better than getting the i7-2630QM unless you really need the extra two cores over the i5-2520M. Keyboard feels good to type on (Lenovo > all when it comes to keyboards though), screen is great, graphics is decent (GT525M or GT540M, much faster than GT520M)speakers best ive heard on a laptop, battery charge is decent (runs more than three hours with light usage), build quality is good (metal on most visible areas) and the laptop doesnt really get too warm. Downsides would be slightly on the heavy side for a 15" laptop and its not really that thin. Keyboard may do with some more travel but I guess im spoilt by my Thinkpad keyboard, dunno.

    One final thing, look out for vouchers in the Dell website, there are plenty. Look here for some deals and vouchers, there should be a thread saying dell outlet coupons which is helpful and XPS deals keep cropping up. The deal you posted in bestbuy was okay'ish, but you'll get that for a grand if you look around for a day or two. If you must get it by today, by all means go for it.

    Good luck
    Last edited by Mazhar; August 22nd, 2011 at 01:50.

  15. #15
    Member
    • [email protected]'s Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z97x-UD3H-BK
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 4690k OC to 4.5Ghz
      • RAM:
      • G Skill 16 GB DDR3 2200MHz
      • Hard Drive:
      • 256GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD + 2 TB WD Black
      • Graphics Card:
      • Asus Geforce 970 4GB
      • Display:
      • Asus 21.5 inch IPS monitor
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Audioengine A2 plus Dayton 8 inch subwoofer
      • Keyboard:
      • Logitech K120
      • Mouse:
      • Logitech G500s
      • Controller:
      • Original Microsoft Xbox One wired controller
      • Power Supply:
      • EVGA G2 750W 80 plus Gold
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    Tom@L's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    San Francisco, USA
    Posts
    6,495

    Default Re: Laptop suggestion around $1000

    Quote Originally Posted by Mazhar View Post
    Yes XPS are pretty reliable in general when it comes to reliability. I was servicing one which was sent to me a few days back. Three years old and it held up pretty well, good space between the fins so dust doesn't trap air, sturdy construction and fans used were good quality. I assume they have kept those traits and the L502x seems pretty sturdy.

    Of course, Lenovo Thinkpads top reliability, cooling and build quality, especially the T series(see some youtube videos with cars going over them its funny). Problem is though, they carry a hefty price premium (aside from the standard E series, not the 's' variants which are almost like T series). Second problem is graphics, they dont usually carry good ones. Theres a T420 with 10% off and NVS 4200M for around $970, but the 4200M is not that powerful, same as a GT520M. Might look at the Y series, but you'll get a better spec'd XPS for the same price.

    For a decent build quality, screen and graphics along with one of the best speakers you can get for a laptop, get the regular XPS 15. You should spec it to have a backlit keyboard and 1080p screen, trust me they will be better than getting the i7-2630QM unless you really need the extra two cores over the i5-2520M. Keyboard feels good to type on (Lenovo > all when it comes to keyboards though), screen is great, graphics is decent (GT525M or GT540M, much faster than GT520M)speakers best ive heard on a laptop, battery charge is decent (runs more than three hours with light usage), build quality is good (metal on most visible areas) and the laptop doesnt really get too warm. Downsides would be slightly on the heavy side for a 15" laptop and its not really that thin. Keyboard may do with some more travel but I guess im spoilt by my Thinkpad keyboard, dunno.

    One final thing, look out for vouchers in the Dell website, there are plenty. Look here for some deals and vouchers, there should be a thread saying dell outlet coupons which is helpful and XPS deals keep cropping up. The deal you posted in bestbuy was okay'ish, but you'll get that for a grand if you look around for a day or two. If you must get it by today, by all means go for it.

    Good luck
    yeah the problem is if i order Dell XPS L2 version from dell.com, i will have to wait around 2 to 3 weeks for my order to arrive. So it will be late as my classes will start earlier.

    And yeah Lenovo beats reliability and the keyboard typing is awesome, similar to desktop keyboards. But the gpu totally sucks.

    Still undecided what to do.

    ---------- Post added at 01:15 ---------- Previous post was at 01:14 ----------

    HP oto bhalo na plus oder pc division sell kore dicche. So warranty niye jhamela hote paare. Oder amnei reliability kharap.

    And lenovo Ideapad series gula bhalo khali display ta baaje dey. There is no option to upgrade to higher resolutions.

    ---------- Post added at 01:26 ---------- Previous post was at 01:15 ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Mazhar View Post
    Yes XPS are pretty reliable in general when it comes to reliability. I was servicing one which was sent to me a few days back. Three years old and it held up pretty well, good space between the fins so dust doesn't trap air, sturdy construction and fans used were good quality. I assume they have kept those traits and the L502x seems pretty sturdy.

    Of course, Lenovo Thinkpads top reliability, cooling and build quality, especially the T series(see some youtube videos with cars going over them its funny). Problem is though, they carry a hefty price premium (aside from the standard E series, not the 's' variants which are almost like T series). Second problem is graphics, they dont usually carry good ones. Theres a T420 with 10% off and NVS 4200M for around $970, but the 4200M is not that powerful, same as a GT520M. Might look at the Y series, but you'll get a better spec'd XPS for the same price.

    For a decent build quality, screen and graphics along with one of the best speakers you can get for a laptop, get the regular XPS 15. You should spec it to have a backlit keyboard and 1080p screen, trust me they will be better than getting the i7-2630QM unless you really need the extra two cores over the i5-2520M. Keyboard feels good to type on (Lenovo > all when it comes to keyboards though), screen is great, graphics is decent (GT525M or GT540M, much faster than GT520M)speakers best ive heard on a laptop, battery charge is decent (runs more than three hours with light usage), build quality is good (metal on most visible areas) and the laptop doesnt really get too warm. Downsides would be slightly on the heavy side for a 15" laptop and its not really that thin. Keyboard may do with some more travel but I guess im spoilt by my Thinkpad keyboard, dunno.

    One final thing, look out for vouchers in the Dell website, there are plenty. Look here for some deals and vouchers, there should be a thread saying dell outlet coupons which is helpful and XPS deals keep cropping up. The deal you posted in bestbuy was okay'ish, but you'll get that for a grand if you look around for a day or two. If you must get it by today, by all means go for it.

    Good luck
    fan noise kamon Dell XPS er ????

  16. #16
    Moderator
    • Mazhar's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • building
      • CPU:
      • the
      • RAM:
      • new
      • Hard Drive:
      • pc
      • Graphics Card:
      • in
      • Display:
      • a
      • Sound Card:
      • month
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Sennheiser HD650/Shure SRH-840
      • Keyboard:
      • Sidewinder X4
      • Mouse:
      • Logitech G300
      • Controller:
      • Xbox 360 Controller
      • Power Supply:
      • Corsair AX750
      • Optical Drive:
      • Sony 20X DVD-RW
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium
      • ISP:
      • Talktalk Fiber
      • Download Speed:
      • 3400
      • Upload Speed:
      • 240
    Mazhar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,904

    Default Re: Laptop suggestion around $1000

    Not high at all unless you run something intensive on the GPU ie. gaming at higher resolutions. But in that regard, most laptops produce quite a bit of noise. CPU intensive apps dont cause the fan to spin that fast.

    By the way, check ebay for xps deals as well. You get some good deals and they are new in condition.

    When do your classes start? Dell website usually states 2 to 3 weeks but they usually arrive within 10 days or so.

  17. #17
    Member
    • [email protected]'s Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z97x-UD3H-BK
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 4690k OC to 4.5Ghz
      • RAM:
      • G Skill 16 GB DDR3 2200MHz
      • Hard Drive:
      • 256GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD + 2 TB WD Black
      • Graphics Card:
      • Asus Geforce 970 4GB
      • Display:
      • Asus 21.5 inch IPS monitor
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Audioengine A2 plus Dayton 8 inch subwoofer
      • Keyboard:
      • Logitech K120
      • Mouse:
      • Logitech G500s
      • Controller:
      • Original Microsoft Xbox One wired controller
      • Power Supply:
      • EVGA G2 750W 80 plus Gold
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    Tom@L's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    San Francisco, USA
    Posts
    6,495

    Default Re: Laptop suggestion around $1000

    Quote Originally Posted by Mazhar View Post
    Not high at all unless you run something intensive on the GPU ie. gaming at higher resolutions. But in that regard, most laptops produce quite a bit of noise. CPU intensive apps dont cause the fan to spin that fast.

    By the way, check ebay for xps deals as well. You get some good deals and they are new in condition.

    When do your classes start? Dell website usually states 2 to 3 weeks but they usually arrive within 10 days or so.
    ami 3 tarik e new york theke leave korbo. Totodin e ki chole ashbe ?

    ---------- Post added at 03:21 ---------- Previous post was at 02:50 ----------

    alright order diye disi dell.com theke. Delivery date 1st September. Dekhi ki hoy.

Similar Threads

  1. need suggestion for buying laptop at 45000 tk.
    By ebashar in forum Help - PC Buying
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: May 1st, 2011, 22:01
  2. Buying a Laptop , any suggestion will be appriciated :)
    By Ibrahim Ahmed in forum Help - PC Buying
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: April 3rd, 2011, 17:59
  3. Need Suggestion for "Gaming Laptop".....its Urgent !!
    By Codename-Scorpion in forum Help - General Shopping
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: January 9th, 2011, 01:11
  4. Want to Buy Any harddisk within 1000/=
    By VANGUARD in forum Shop - Gadgets
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: November 17th, 2010, 01:57
  5. Laptop : Need Suggestion
    By saadbillah in forum Miscellaneous Topics
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: December 19th, 2009, 03:52

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Page generated in 0.31776 seconds with 14 queries.