• Samsung SH-224BB 24X
      • USB Devices:
      • Transcend Jetflash350 16 GB
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit | Ubuntu
      • ISP:
      • KS

Talking The Thermaltake Meka G1 mechanical gaming keyboard

The Thermaltake Meka G1 mechanical gaming keyboard.

Thermaltake esports is now selling a gaming keyboard branded the Meka G1. It's small, it's mechanical, it's built like a tank, but is it right for you? Let's see the review below.What's so extra ordinary in here -

In the world of keyboards, there are two types of people. One of those is very firmly in the “clicky” keyboard camp. Keyboards that fall into this category are called mechanical keyboards, as they have hard mechanical switches under each and every key. This gives a nice satisfying “click” when you hit it; good for the typist, not always so good for others in the room. The classic IBM “M” series keyboards from 1985 are held in high regard and are often sought after by geeks, but they are expensive and sometimes difficult to find.

Thermaltake stepped up to the plate and decided to make a mechanical keyboard for gamers, and it is called the Meka G1.

The Thermaltake Meka G1 is billed as a high-end 104-key USB keyboard. It sports true mechanical keyswitches made by Cherry—pretty much the Lamborghini of keyboard switches. It advertises and delivers a “military grade” cord—this cord is no laughing matter. It’s sleeved in braid, armored underneath that braid, and nearly a half inch thick. My cat has tried to chew on, claw up, and otherwise destroy the cord to no avail. Some sites have complained about it being difficult to route and bend, but I had no such issues with my release model—it’s not “coiled RJ48->PS2” flexible, but it’s certainly not particularly stiff and I had no issues tying it into a rather large knot. The keyboard requires two USB ports on your system; that’s because it has a built-in 2-port USB hub. The second USB connector is to ensure you have sufficient power for even the most hungry peripherals—and you do. I used the ports for my Logitech Unifying Receiver and to charge my Performance MX mouse. Both work flawlessly. It has a function key between the left Ctrl and Alt keys which handles the multimedia functions to keep things small and simple, which I find myself using absolutely constantly. These are all things that I absolutely love about the Meka G1.

Top view of the Meka G1

This is where things turn toward the dislike column. The Numlock, Capslock and Scroll Lock indicators are exposed 3mm LEDs. At the angle my keyboard is at, I find them to be excessively bright and found them to often distract me—especially since I make extensive use of all three. The “Windows” key and Menu key are next to each other on the right side of the keyboard, and I often find myself hitting Menu instead of Windows. Or Menu instead of right Ctrl. Or Windows instead of left Ctrl. Despite this, the spacebar does not feel cramped. It is most assuredly full size.

But by far, my biggest gripe with the Meka G1 is the action. I come from 20 years of using IBM Model M and Cherry’s “click” model mechanical switches. You know the ones—that guy you can hear typing from half a block away. The Cherry switches are true electromechanical parts, but the Meka G1 just doesn’t feel like the mechanical switches I’m used to. There is nearly zero tactile feedback from the keystrokes, and zero audible feedback. For the first two weeks, I was continually hitting keys accidentally, because it took so little weight and they have so little travel. (For the mechanically inclined, travel from open to keypress is about 1/16” on mine here.) I still frequently have trouble because as I mentioned, there’s just no feedback. But let’s also bear this in mind: action is personal preference and entirely subjective. In honesty, the key action is in fact, very similar to most modern keyboards, so if you prefer the key action of for example, the Logitech G15 or G19, you’ll love the action of the Meka G1.

Speaking of action, one of the selling points here is that this keyboard is better for gamers. That it has the potential to improve your gameplay. How? Feature one, and a very important one: greater than three key chording. Queuing two macros while taking a screenshot and circle strafing with mouse look? The Meka G1 handled those five buttons like a champ, even if I had to use my nose to press one of them. Personally, I can’t tell you whether or not the increased polling rate really has any effect because honestly, past a certain point, you’re actually more likely to be limited to network latency or LCD latency—for example, my monitors have an average latency of 14-20ms, so as long as the keyboard is below that, I can’t really tell the difference. Most of my testing was with MMOs with an average network latency of 70-130ms, so not much help there either. The Meka G1 does sport a 1000Hz (1ms) sampling rate though, so you can rest assured it won’t hold you back there ever.

All that said, the question would seem to remain: what makes this a gaming keyboard, or a better gaming keyboard? I’ve tested this keyboard beyond thoroughly—the conservative estimate would be that mine has already logged north of 5 million keystrokes—and I can honestly say that for certain games, you definitely can see an improvement. You see, it’s a question of physics—Thermaltake gave the Meka G1 an extremely short keystroke length. They’ll go all the way, but you can trigger them with very light and short presses. Certain games—World of Warcraft especially—register action not based on when the key is pressed, but rather, when the key is released. Meaning that on keyboards with buckling springs, you have to travel the full length of the keystroke before it registers that you just hit Stormstrike. The Meka G1′s much shorter keystroke means that once you’re acclimated to it, you actually can, in fact, use those wonderful laws of mechanical engineering and physics to prove that it is a faster keyboard for gaming. The same obviously applies to “key down” triggered games. So, yes—this keyboard can, in fact, be proven to offer you not only specific benefits but specific physical advantages for gaming.

In terms of aesthetics, aside from the previously mentioned bright LED issue, it’s hard to find anything at all to dislike about the Meka G1. It comes in a pleasantly textured black plastic frame, with black keys and plain white lettering. It offers no fancy LED backlighting or LCD displays, and fits everything into a very compact and clean package. The Thermaltake “Tt” logo is presented in red next to the indicator LEDs, the only concession to branding on the keyboard proper. The super-heavy-duty nigh-invulnerable cable is bulky, extremely heavy, and covered in a very well made black braid with silver trim. The wrist rest that’s included with the keyboard features the “Tt esports” logo on the center, but I elected not to use it as I found the slope too sharp for my arrangement. That said, it fits nicely to the keyboard, didn’t wiggle about unnecessarily, and proved somewhat difficult to remove–just like any good wrist rest should. If you don’t have front panel audio connectors, there’s a pair of them on the back of the keyboard–which I’ll nitpick slightly. They’re difficult to access at best if the keyboard is in a drawer. They’re also straight passthrough, which means you can’t really use them if you have regular speakers, much less surround. That is, unless you want to run both the USB and 1/8” connectors to the front panel access on your case. Other than that, I tested them briefly and found no other faults–they didn’t add any noise, and they didn’t take anything perceptible away from the sound.

However, with an MSRP of $139.99 and typically found online for around $100, it’s hard to justify in comparison to, for example, the Logitech G110 which offers multi-color backlighting, an actual USB audio controller, 12 programmable keys, and a 2ms (500Hz) polling rate at an MSRP of $79.99 and typically sold for around $60. Or the Razer BlackWidow which offers the same mechanical switches, programmable macros, software profiles, 5 hotkeys, and 1ms (1000Hz) polling also at an MSRP of $79.99. So while the Meka G1 is a phenomenal product, and definitely worth your time to look at, the price might make you think twice about buying it for home.

This has proven to be one of the more difficult reviews for me to write, for a variety of reasons. Problem one, I want to love it. Problem two, the reasons I don’t love it make it hard to write reviews. The fact is that any keyboard review is necessarily subjective in many ways, because as we all know, we all have our personal preferences. Maybe you like a lighter key action than I do, or maybe I like a specific layout that you think is absurdist.

In the end, if you can get your hands on the Meka G1, it may sell itself; still, for the price, you should make sure of what you’re getting into.

Source

• Frank3nst3in's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI 760GM-P33
      • CPU:
      • AMD Athlon II X4 640
      • RAM:
      • 2x2GB [Silicon Power+Transcend] DDR3-1333 CL9
      • Hard Drive:
      • Samsung 500GB F3, WD Blue 1TB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, Hitachi 160GB
      • Graphics Card:
      • ECS EliteGroup GTX 550Ti
      • Display:
      • ASUS VX229H 21.5
      • Sound Card:
      • Creative SB X-Fi Titanium
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Panasonic HTF600, SoundMagic E10
      • Keyboard:
      • CM Storm Devastator MS2K
      • Mouse:
      • CM Storm Devastator MB24
      • Power Supply:
      • Thermaltake LitePower500 W0316RE
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • ISP:
      • Banglalion
      • Download Speed:
      • 64 KBps

Default Re: The Thermaltake Meka G1 mechanical gaming keyboard

Looks too simple :S
    And who's gonna buy it with that much money :S

• Arif69's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte H61 S2P B3
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i3 2100
      • RAM:
      • G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB DDR3 1600 MHZ
      • Hard Drive:
      • Samsung 500 GB | Hitachi 1 TB
      • Graphics Card:
      • Gigabyte Radeon HD 5770 1 GB DDR5
      • Display:
      • Dell E1910H 18.5 Wide Lcd
      • Sound Card:
      • VIA HD Audio Codec
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Creative Inspire 4400 | Logitech S-150 | Sony MDR-ZX100
      • Keyboard:
      • Lexma LK7550P Slim
      • Mouse:
      • Logitech B100
      • Controller:
      • Generic Usb Joystick
      • Power Supply:
      • ITS 500 Watt
      • Optical Drive:
      • Samsung SH-224BB 24X
      • USB Devices:
      • Transcend Jetflash350 16 GB
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit | Ubuntu
      • ISP:
      • KS

Quote Originally Posted by Frank3nst3in View Post
    Indeed doesn't look extra ordinary but still l there are some good features in this keyboard.You can have a look in the bold,colored lines.

Forum Staff
    • aayman's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X370 Gaming Pro
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 1700 @3.7GHz (H100i v2)
      • RAM:
      • 2x8GB Trident Z 3600Mhz
      • Hard Drive:
      • 960 EVO 250GB + SanDisk SSDX 960GB + 1TB WD Black
      • Graphics Card:
      • EVGA 1070 FTW
      • Display:
      • ASUS PG279Q + Dell U2312HM
      • Sound Card:
      • Creative Sound Blaster Zx
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Sennheiser PC350SE + Phillips SPH9500
      • Keyboard:
      • CM QuickFire Stealth
      • Mouse:
      • FinalMouse Scream One | Logitech G403
      • Controller:
      • Steam Controller
      • Power Supply:
      • Corsair AX850
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 1703
      • ISP:
      • AmberIT

lol can't believe the review actually compared this to a G110. Shows that that guy didn't even try to game with it competitively. There's a substantial difference between a G110 and a Steelseries 7G (Mechanical Keyboard), so it should the same case here with the Meka G1.

And er theke beshi daam diye lokjon KB kine and those have a lot of useless features. They seem to be useful in the ads and info pages but they aren't at all. Gimmick features to justify higher prices.

• avas911's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-EG41MF-US2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Pentium Dual Core E6500 2.9 GHz 2MB L2 1066MHz FSB
      • RAM:
      • 2x2GB 800 MHz Apecer at 5-5-5-15
      • Hard Drive:
      • OCZ Vertex 3 120GB Sata III & Samsung 103SJ 1 TB F3
      • Graphics Card:
      • Sapphire ATI RADEON HD6850 1GB GDDR5
      • Display:
      • Philips 107S7 17" at [email protected]
      • Sound Card:
      • Built In Realtek ALC883
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Creative SBS A200 / Cosonic Generic / Logitech Ultimate Ears 200vi/SoundMAGIC E10M IEM
      • Keyboard:
      • A4Tech
      • Mouse:
      • A4Tech X7 XL-747H 3600 DPI
      • Controller:
      • None
      • Power Supply:
      • Delta GPS-500AB A 500W
      • Optical Drive:
      • Asus 16x IDE DVD R
      • USB Devices:
      • Transcend 500 8GB & Corsair Survivor USB 3.0 16GB & Samsung Class 10 16GB mSDHC
      • UPS:
      • Rahimafrooz 600VA Premium
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 Ultimate 64Bit
      • Comment:
      • Slow in gaming
      • ISP:
      • Link3 512
      • Download Speed:
      • Upload Speed:

these keyboards has one thing thats really awesome...that is they have mechanical keys...means under every key of the key board there is a cherry switch...means these keyboards are not like normal keyboards...which has membranes and rubber domes...these keyboards has dedicated switches for every keys.....|that means one thing....these things can handle millions of keystrokes without changing or depreciating a bit....and these things gets a sorted key almost never...also if one key is busted you can replace it with another switch...and these things can last 10 yrs easy if handled properly.... @aayman_farzand G110 cant stand against any mechanical keyboards on this feature alone.....and about the price....these cherry switches are expensive...and every keyboard has 110+ of them...and also usually mechanical KBs dont come with so much extra features ...as they dont need them
    Once more into the fray
    Into the last good fight I’ll ever know

Live and die on this day
    Live and Die on this day

• Frank3nst3in's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI 760GM-P33
      • CPU:
      • AMD Athlon II X4 640
      • RAM:
      • Hard Drive:
      • Graphics Card:
      • Display:
      • ASUS VX229H 21.5
      • Sound Card:
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Keyboard:
      • Mouse:
      • Power Supply:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • ISP:
      • Banglalion
      • Download Speed:
      • 64 KBps

Aayman vaia apnar G110 kotheke kinsilen??

And if this is really $139/$110, I would say TT Challenger PRO is better[the one that Rakin uses, at least that one looks better :S :S]

Forum Staff
    • aayman's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X370 Gaming Pro
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 1700 @3.7GHz (H100i v2)
      • RAM:
      • 2x8GB Trident Z 3600Mhz
      • Hard Drive:
      • 960 EVO 250GB + SanDisk SSDX 960GB + 1TB WD Black
      • Graphics Card:
      • EVGA 1070 FTW
      • Display:
      • ASUS PG279Q + Dell U2312HM
      • Sound Card:
      • Creative Sound Blaster Zx
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Sennheiser PC350SE + Phillips SPH9500
      • Keyboard:
      • CM QuickFire Stealth
      • Mouse:
      • FinalMouse Scream One | Logitech G403
      • Controller:
      • Steam Controller
      • Power Supply:
      • Corsair AX850
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 1703
      • ISP:
      • AmberIT

I know the G110 doesn't stand a chance, that's what I was saying :S The reviewer doesn't think so though.

The TT Challenger PRO isn't a mechanical keyboard.

Edit: And the G110 was brought by avas911

• Frank3nst3in's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI 760GM-P33
      • CPU:
      • AMD Athlon II X4 640
      • RAM:
      • Hard Drive:
      • Graphics Card:
      • Display:
      • ASUS VX229H 21.5
      • Sound Card:
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Keyboard:
      • Mouse:
      • Power Supply:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • ISP:
      • Banglalion
      • Download Speed:
      • 64 KBps

Noob Question - What's "Mechanical" keyboard? :S

• Camouflage's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Sniper B5 B85
      • CPU:
      • Core i5-4460 3.2Ghz with Deepcool Mini Cooler in Thermaltake 'Versa-2'' Case
      • RAM:
      • Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600Mhz 2*4gb
      • Hard Drive:
      • WD Blue 1TB 7200rpm
      • Graphics Card:
      • MSI Gtx770
      • Display:
      • Samsung 22'' Wide Screen LED-1920*1080
      • Sound Card:
      • Creative Sound blaster Audigy 2ZS
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Microlab 5:1
      • Keyboard:
      • HP keyboard
      • Mouse:
      • A4Tech X7 XL-747H Spider
      • Power Supply:
      • Corsair-HX650W-52A in single 12V Rail with 4 (6+2) pin connectors
      • Optical Drive:
      • HP DVD writer
      • USB Devices:
      • Transcend Jetflash-16gb & Sandisk Cruzer 4gb
      • UPS:
      • Apollo 1200VA
      • Operating System:
      • Windows-7-64 bit Ultimate Edition
      • Benchmark Scores:
      • Pro-7.6,GPU-7.9-Windows7 benchmark
      • Comment:
      • Satisfied what i have
      • ISP:
      • Dhakanet,1mbps
      • Download Speed:
      • 128 kbps

But what i am seeing being $20 less Razer Blackwidow is also a good option with $80.It has also mechanical switches.

Forum Staff
    • dipanzan's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z87 HD3
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 4670k
      • RAM:
      • Corsair Dominator 16GB 1600
      • Hard Drive:
      • Crucial M4 128GB, Western Digital 1TB Blue, My Passport 2TB
      • Graphics Card:
      • HIS HD5850
      • Display:
      • Dell P2212H
      • Sound Card:
      • Asus Xonar DGx
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Sennheiser HD598
      • Keyboard:
      • Filco Majestouch 2 TKL Ninja Reds
      • Mouse:
      • Mionix Avior 7000, Steelseries XAI
      • Power Supply:
      • Corsair HX650 v2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro x64
      • ISP:
      • Link3 :: Linksys WRT54GL w/ DD-WRT
      • Download Speed:
      • 64-128KB/s
      • Upload Speed:
      • 64-128KB/s

you should come to CSS tourney's, people are using 18K+ worth of gears- mouse pads, mouse, headphones, keyboards!
    My personal favourite is the 6GV2 from SteeSeries, for a review of mechanical kbs, go here:

http://www.overclock.net/keyboards/4...ard-guide.html

• HeLL]deathknight's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte HA-65-UD3H-B3
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 2.91 Ghz Gen-2
      • RAM:
      • Twinmoss DDR3 1333mhz 4GB
      • Hard Drive:
      • Samsung 500GB
      • Graphics Card:
      • ASUS GTX550 Ti
      • Display:
      • Philips CRT 17inch
      • Sound Card:
      • Realtek HD 7.1 Channel,SteelSeries
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Suntec Headphones/SteelSeries Siberia V2
      • Keyboard:
      • A4Tech Slim Black
      • Mouse:
      • SteelSeries Sensei
      • Controller:
      • Logitech RP2
      • Power Supply:
      • Gigabyte 550Watt
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Comment:
      • Enough for me !
      • ISP:
      • FusionBD/Link3 Technologies
      • Download Speed:
      • 120KBps/196KBps
      • Upload Speed:
      • 50KBps/200KBps

Only feature that highlights these keyboards is the "Mechanical switches" this means every Key gets registered at the same time, if you have played likes Kof2002/Mortalkombat4/NFs2 you'll see sometimes your game does not respond to commands, thats due to ghosting of keyboards and mechanical keyboards have no ghosting at ALL.

This helps a lot for games like CS because of the quick responses strafing improves a lot and better syncs with higher end mouses and great strafe breaking can be achieved .

• Frank3nst3in's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI 760GM-P33
      • CPU:
      • AMD Athlon II X4 640
      • RAM:
      • Hard Drive:
      • Graphics Card:
      • Display:
      • ASUS VX229H 21.5
      • Sound Card:
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Keyboard:
      • Mouse:
      • Power Supply:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • ISP:
      • Banglalion
      • Download Speed:
      • 64 KBps

Quote Originally Posted by dipanzan View Post
    you should come to CSS tourney's, people are using 18K+ worth of gears- mouse pads, mouse, headphones, keyboards!
    My personal favourite is the 6GV2 from SteeSeries, for a review of mechanical kbs, go here:

http://www.overclock.net/keyboards/4...ard-guide.html
    Thanks but no thanks [choking]

Quote Originally Posted by HeLL]deathknight View Post
    Only feature that highlights these keyboards is the "Mechanical switches" this means every Key gets registered at the same time, if you have played likes Kof2002/Mortalkombat4/NFs2 you'll see sometimes your game does not respond to commands, thats due to ghosting of keyboards and mechanical keyboards have no ghosting at ALL.

This helps a lot for games like CS because of the quick responses strafing improves a lot and better syncs with higher end mouses and great strafe breaking can be achieved .
    Understood

Forum Staff
    • dipanzan's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z87 HD3
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 4670k
      • RAM:
      • Corsair Dominator 16GB 1600
      • Hard Drive:
      • Crucial M4 128GB, Western Digital 1TB Blue, My Passport 2TB
      • Graphics Card:
      • HIS HD5850
      • Display:
      • Dell P2212H
      • Sound Card:
      • Asus Xonar DGx
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Sennheiser HD598
      • Keyboard:
      • Filco Majestouch 2 TKL Ninja Reds
      • Mouse:
      • Mionix Avior 7000, Steelseries XAI
      • Power Supply:
      • Corsair HX650 v2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro x64
      • ISP:
      • Link3 :: Linksys WRT54GL w/ DD-WRT
      • Download Speed:
      • 64-128KB/s
      • Upload Speed:
      • 64-128KB/s

Thanks but no thanks [choking]

Understood
    haha, I know what it feels like! Though after some hard thinking, I realized that what good a PC is, if you dont experience it ?

That experience comes through your HPs, your monitor & the comfort of having a mouse/kb that wont ache you in the long run!
    I myself bought a good monitor & GPU, yet I lost my sound card & a good HP I had to compromise that in order to get the other stuff & trust me once you your sound from a good HP be it Senheisser/Shure/Audio Technica with a good sound card lile the Xonar/Titanium- you'll never want to get back to your old realtek ¤¤¤¤ & those regular Cosonics!