Swordfish jumps out of the water
By Remigiusz Bondarowicz(2beR). Tuesday, 28. June, 06:00
Today we released Opera 11.50 aka Swordfish. With its new streamlined body and highly powerful interior it becomes the most dangerous predator on the internet waters.
Opera Swordfish, with its innovatory Speed Dial extensions, makes your Speed Dial more alive than ever before. Now you can get all the information you need straight from your Speed Dial, without necessity to go to the page. All of this is made possible thanks by the smart Speed Dial extensions, which you can download and install from our addons portal.
Beside that, Opera 11.50 allows you to synchronize your passwords between computers easily.
This way you can access your favorite services, without typing your passwords in again and again on the different computers.
Opera 11.50 is equipped with our newest rendering engine: Presto 2.9.168 featuring up to 20% faster rendering of CSS and SVG, support for HTML5 tag <time>, Session History and Navigation and many enhancements more.
We would like to thank you all for helping us out with the testing and your constructive feedback. If you have Opera 11.50 RC5 installed, then you already have the final version.
New and improved features
Improved user interface.Opera developers continue to make Opera light, bright, and as user-friendly as possible without sacrificing power or flexibility. Some changes are highly visible, such as those to the address and status bars. Also, you will find that much of the skin has been reworked, including a brand new icon set. Some highlights are:
- Opera 11.50 uses "Swordfish" as its code name.
- Brand new toolbar icon set
- Brighter, softer colors for backgrounds and borders
- Padding and alignment improvements
- Updated status bar design and content
- Removed button borders in the address bar
- The Home and Fast Forward buttons are now optional
- New "tab fold" attention state: no more blue blob
Opera Link: Password synchronization
- Opera extensions can now share cookies with the browser. You will not have to log in separately from an extension.
The most requested feature for Opera Link is password synchronization.
- You can enable it when you set up link for the first time or in the Synchronization Options dialog.
- Improved the Gmail IMAP support that was added in Opera 11.10.
- Added support for setting designated "Trash" and "Spam" folders for IMAP servers that do not support the X-LIST or Special-Use IMAP extensions.
- Added a "Match messages in" setting that can be set on any label with filter rules.
- For further details, please see Rijk van Geijtenbeek's article in the Opera Desktop Blog.
Opera Next is a stand-alone installation of the Opera desktop browser intended for testing the development of new features, technologies, and improvements.
Opera Presto 2.9 rendering engine
- It is automatically updated to include the latest changes as they become available.
- Important note: Pre-release builds may be unstable and include known issues, such as crashes or data loss situations.
- See: What is Opera Next?
Speed Dial extensions
- Opera 11.50 uses the new Opera Presto 2.9 rendering engine (Presto/2.9.168).
Speed Dial extensions are like small web pages embedded in your Speed Dial powered by Opera's extension framework.
Speed Dial tab activation improvements
- When Speed Dial is the active tab, other tabs are not activated on mousedown.
- This allows you to drag open tabs into Speed Dial.
- Hovering a Speed Dial tab while dragging something will also activate it.
Web specifications support
- The Windows installer now has an option to pin Opera to the taskbar on Windows 7.
For further detailed information, please see:
DOM event handling
- Improved deep nesting of the quotes property.
- Support is added to provide the original source line for CSS rules, benefiting future versions of Opera Dragonfly.
- Improved CSS parsing performance is up to 10-15% faster due to CSS tokenizing optimizations.
HTML5 dataset attribute
HTML5 <input> indeterminate attribute
HTML5 Session history and navigation
- Added support for the <input> element indeterminate attribute for checkboxes. This is used to change the appearance of checkbox controls.
HTML5 and SVG classList attribute
HTML5 <time> element
Opera Widgets specification
Server-Sent Events enabled for Web Workers
- Implemented Element.oMatchesSelector.
- Prefixed implementation of the Element interface .matchesSelector method with "o".
- Note: The refNodes parameter is not supported.
- See: W3C Selectors API Level 2.