User Tag List

Thread: Exclusive nvidia overlocking gear plus a nifty tutorial!

• Fox Mulder's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H Rev 1.1 (Currently dead) | Intel DH55TC
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 3470 @ 3.8 Ghz (Currently not used) | intel Core i7 860 @ 3.3 GHz
      • RAM:
      • Corsair Vengeance 1600 MHz 2x4GB
      • Hard Drive:
      • Western Digital Blue 1 Terrabyte
      • Graphics Card:
      • Sapphire HD 7950 Vapor-X OC With Boost 3GB GDDR5 || Gigabyte GTX 680 Windforce 4GB
      • Display:
      • Philips 191EL 19" LED @77 Hz
      • Sound Card:
      • Creative Sound Blaster Live! 24 Bit
      • Keyboard:
      • Corsair K70 RGB
      • Mouse:
      • A4Tech 2X Click
      • Power Supply:
      • Thermaltake Smart 650W Modular
      • Optical Drive:
      • Samsung DVD Writer
      • UPS:
      • Spark Power (!) 1200VA
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Build 10162
      • Comment:
      • It gets the job done!
      • ISP:
      • BracNet
      • Download Speed:
      • 1 Mbps
      • Upload Speed:
      • 1 Mbps

Default Exclusive nvidia overlocking gear plus a nifty tutorial!

After purchasing high end or mid range graphics cards, most of us put it to the ultimate test of pushing it beyond it's limit by overclocking, and some of us sometimes get lost in all the fancy Software that are out there to test the stability of the card, but have no fear! In this tutorial I will be guiding you to not only achieve the best overclock for your card, but a stable overclock as well.. however it is for only nVIDIA cards, atm I don't own a good ATI GPU, all I have is an XFX 9800GT, so as the title says, this guide is for nVIDIA GPUZ only.

eVGA's artifacts and Oc scanner is an exclusive software made available for eVGA graphics card owners only, the latest version of it is 1.6, can only be downloaded if you own an eVGA GPU and have it registered from their site, but I am going to share it with you all anyways.

eVGA precision:

http://www.mediafire.com/?i0onar5arfi7la2

eVGA Atifact Scanner and Stability tester:

http://www.mediafire.com/?2swe3p7bdweitsn

But after I downloaded the two softwares I still couldn't get them to work at first and I was the softwares used to tell me that there aren't any eVGA gpuz installed, then I thought of another plan, If I had changed the subvendor ID of the card from the bios, the software will recognise the card as an eVGA product! And in order to do that, you will need

nVidia Bios Editor:

http://www.mediafire.com/?k52w2w12ra1694l

And NVFLASH to flash the modded bios to the card:

http://www.mediafire.com/?6uw2a8bvt481hb6

Steps:

To use nvidia bios editor, simply click on NiBiTor.exe, then go to tools, read bios, and then click on select device

A dialogue box should appear with the detected nvidia card on your system, select it. In case you have multiple nVIDIA cards installed, select the card you want to from the select device window.

After reading bios, go to tools again, then read bios, then click on read into NiBiTor.

Before doing any sorts of modification, go to your c drive or the drive you have windows installed, and create a folder called test. After that, go to NiBiTor's read bios menu, and this time select read the bios into file which will save your bios rom, when a "save as" window should appear where NiBiTor will ask you where you would like to save the bios, go to that test directory you have created and save the file with the name original. This step must be followed to make sure if something goes wrong you can revert back to your original Bios.

After completing the above step, we will proceed with editing the bios. After reading the bios into NiBiTor you should have all the grayed out options where it shows all the infos about your bios available and showing you the data it has collected. Oh btw, there is an indicator whether NiBiTor was fully able to read your bios or not is indicated by a colour, which is right under the Submit Bios button, if the integrity of your bios is anything else then green, then you should abort this whole modding, as we will be flashing the card with the edited bios in the next step, a partially read bios might turn your card dead.

By clicking on the ADV. info tab of the NiBiTor interface you can see the device Id subvendor Id and etc infos, right above those tabs there ate two drop down menus, one showing your device name and the other one showing your hardware vendor. Click on the vendor drop down menu and select eVGA and leave the rest as it is, then click on file, then save bios, then save the edited bios with the name edit in the test directory which was created in an earlier step.

Now to our final step, the flashing part. Extract nvflash to the test directory, after extraction there should be a total of 8 files including the edited and the original bios rom files.

Now go to start, for windows xp users I recommend going to start>run then simply typing cmd in in the box and hitting ok button. Windows 7 users can just click on the start button and type in cmd as it automatically selects search programs and files whenever the start button is clicked. After executing cmd you should see the command prompt window appearing.

Usually the command prompt starts while being inside the users and documnets folder. To change to a folder's root, just type cd.. and press enter. Enter the cd.. command twice to have your command prompt stationed to the root of the windows partition, assuming it's the C: drive. If you've done right you should see the text cursor blinking right after the text "C:\>" without the inverted commas.

Right, now we will have to change to our test directory. Type cd test and press enter. You should see the text in the command prompt change from "C:\>" to "C:\Test>"

After this, all you will be needing is to type in the following:

"nvflash -6 test.rom" if you have followed the namings right in the earlier steps.

It will ask you for confirmation on flashing and showing that the subsystem vendor ids with the file you are flashing with doesn't match the current bios, which is normal. Press y to confirm this and carry on with the flashing.

Then you will be asked to confirm the flash, simply press y again and let it complete.

After the bios flashing is done, type "exit" and press enter and restart the system to take effect. After restarting your card will be redetected by windows, as the subvendor id has been changed which is completely normal, if you have the drivers installed, just restart your system to make the detection affective and you won't be needing to install your driver again.

After restarting, eVGA's artifact scanner and the precision overclocking tool should work for you just fine.

I cannot be held responsible if you didn't follow the procedures right .

That's it, enjoy stable overclocking!

And another useful stability testing software is MSI Kombustor that can be downloaded from GURU3D.com.
    Last edited by Fox Mulder; August 31st, 2016 at 22:40.

Forum Staff
    • aayman's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X370 Gaming Pro
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 1700 @3.7GHz (H100i v2)
      • RAM:
      • 2x8GB Trident Z 3600Mhz
      • Hard Drive:
      • 960 EVO 250GB + SanDisk SSDX 960GB + 1TB WD Black
      • Graphics Card:
      • EVGA 1070 FTW
      • Display:
      • ASUS PG279Q + Dell U2312HM
      • Sound Card:
      • Creative Sound Blaster Zx
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Sennheiser PC350SE + Phillips SPH9500
      • Keyboard:
      • CM QuickFire Stealth
      • Mouse:
      • FinalMouse Scream One | Logitech G403
      • Controller:
      • Steam Controller
      • Power Supply:
      • Corsair AX850
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 1703
      • ISP:
      • AmberIT

Default Re: Exclusive nvidia overlocking gear plus a nifty tutorial!

AFAIK, EVGA Precision and MSI Afterburner is made by the same person/team, the creators of Rivatuner. If you aren't interested in BIOS flashing then just use MSI afterburner to directly start with overclocking. But keep in mind that if you do decide to use a custom fan profile, you must keep MSI AB running at all times.

• Fox Mulder's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • RAM:
      • Hard Drive:
      • Graphics Card:
      • Sapphire HD 7950 Vapor-X OC With Boost 3GB GDDR5 || Gigabyte GTX 680 Windforce 4GB
      • Display:
      • Sound Card:
      • Keyboard:
      • Corsair K70 RGB
      • Mouse:
      • A4Tech 2X Click
      • Power Supply:
      • Optical Drive:
      • Samsung DVD Writer
      • UPS:
      • Spark Power (!) 1200VA
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Build 10162
      • Comment:
      • It gets the job done!
      • ISP:
      • BracNet
      • Download Speed:
      • 1 Mbps
      • Upload Speed:
      • 1 Mbps

Does MSI Afterburner come with an artifact scanner? This eVGA OC Scanner scans for artifacts too if enabled, it's made using the furmark engine to test stability, and something furmark doesn't have and Rivatuner tops all the ocing tools, it just can't change voltages like some other tools can. Oh btw both precision and afterburner are indeed the same tool based on Rivatuner, you're right about that. Btw I highly reckon downloading OCCT and MSI Kombustion, Kombustion is the same as Furmark but also features dx9,10,11 and open gl 2. ---------- Post added at 03:19 ---------- Previous post was at 03:10 ---------- Nothing beats playing through Crysis with everything set to ultra and AA set to 8x or higher for testing oc, sadly, the vanila version of Crysis is plagued with AA memory leaks, it even crashes with 8X AA enabled, it was later fixed but even with the 1.2 patch things still haven't improved much, the game logs keeps reporting this thus Crysis takes up over 3 Gigas of physical memory causing a crash to desktop during some of the levels :S couldn't try METRO 2033 for some weird reason the DVDS I bought installs the game fine but when running the game, it comes up with the illegal operation and needs to be closed message after spending few moments within the main menu, or while a new game is being started.
    Last edited by Fox Mulder; February 20th, 2011 at 05:03.

Forum Staff
    • aayman's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X370 Gaming Pro
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 1700 @3.7GHz (H100i v2)
      • RAM:
      • 2x8GB Trident Z 3600Mhz
      • Hard Drive:
      • 960 EVO 250GB + SanDisk SSDX 960GB + 1TB WD Black
      • Graphics Card:
      • EVGA 1070 FTW
      • Display:
      • ASUS PG279Q + Dell U2312HM
      • Sound Card:
      • Creative Sound Blaster Zx
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Sennheiser PC350SE + Phillips SPH9500
      • Keyboard:
      • CM QuickFire Stealth
      • Mouse:
      • FinalMouse Scream One | Logitech G403
      • Controller:
      • Steam Controller
      • Power Supply:
      • Corsair AX850
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 1703
      • ISP:
      • AmberIT

No it doesn't have a built in artifact scanner but its not needed nowadays. Everyones uses Furmark/Kombustor + a heavy game to test their OC, but Crysis at max pushes less than Furmark/Kombustor.

Like when I OC'd, my Furmark test always failed because I always undervolted the card to get better temps. I first determined the needed voltage for running Furmark stable then turned it down by just one notch. This caused no issues in any of the games I tested, (Metro, Crysis + Warhead, Heaven Benchmark etc), thats because games never push as much as stability tests. I saw reviewers doing the same thing as well. They OC'd 460s to 900MHz which failed Furmark tests yet it was fine for gaming.

• Fox Mulder's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • RAM:
      • Hard Drive:
      • Graphics Card:
      • Display:
      • Sound Card:
      • Keyboard:
      • Corsair K70 RGB
      • Mouse:
      • A4Tech 2X Click
      • Power Supply:
      • Optical Drive:
      • Samsung DVD Writer
      • UPS:
      • Spark Power (!) 1200VA
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Build 10162
      • Comment:
      • It gets the job done!
      • ISP:
      • BracNet
      • Download Speed:
      • 1 Mbps
      • Upload Speed:
      • 1 Mbps

The contrast happened to me in my case, my card runs furmark stable at 1050 Mhz memory clock whereas it locks up within a few minutes in Crysis, keep in mind, I believe this varies from one Gpu architecture to another, I can clock my 9800GT green from it's default 550/1350/700 state to a stunning 680/1700/1000! Since the green edition doesn't require a 6 pin power connector, I can't go for higher core clocks, as the core simply draws the most power. I can push the memory clock to 1050 Mhz which is the maximum limit for my card, it runs stable with furmark and other open gl based games but starts jumping within a few minutes of direct3d9/10 based games and locks up within a few minutes of Crysis gameplay and I have to turn the memory clocks to 1000Mhz, and as my card is the low-power consumption edition, volt modding is out of the picture. As for Crysis Warhead, it's a lot less resource hungry than Crysis but still requires a lot of juice though. Oh, and the uniengine heaven is also a good way to test oc.
    Last edited by Fox Mulder; February 20th, 2011 at 12:26.

• avas911's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-EG41MF-US2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Pentium Dual Core E6500 2.9 GHz 2MB L2 1066MHz FSB
      • RAM:
      • 2x2GB 800 MHz Apecer at 5-5-5-15
      • Hard Drive:
      • OCZ Vertex 3 120GB Sata III & Samsung 103SJ 1 TB F3
      • Graphics Card:
      • Sapphire ATI RADEON HD6850 1GB GDDR5
      • Display:
      • Philips 107S7 17" at [email protected]
      • Sound Card:
      • Built In Realtek ALC883
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Creative SBS A200 / Cosonic Generic / Logitech Ultimate Ears 200vi/SoundMAGIC E10M IEM
      • Keyboard:
      • A4Tech
      • Mouse:
      • A4Tech X7 XL-747H 3600 DPI
      • Controller:
      • None
      • Power Supply:
      • Delta GPS-500AB A 500W
      • Optical Drive:
      • Asus 16x IDE DVD R
      • USB Devices:
      • Transcend 500 8GB & Corsair Survivor USB 3.0 16GB & Samsung Class 10 16GB mSDHC
      • UPS:
      • Rahimafrooz 600VA Premium
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 Ultimate 64Bit
      • Comment:
      • Slow in gaming
      • ISP:
      • Link3 512
      • Download Speed:
      • Upload Speed:

Joss topic...sad 8800gt ta moira gese....noile test kortam...

• eXsTatik's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • Msi 990FXA GD80
      • CPU:
      • Phenom x6 1090T @ 4ghz 24/7
      • RAM:
      • 8gb drr3 1600mhz
      • Hard Drive:
      • 500GB x2 raid 0 + 1TB caviar black + 500GB wd passport.
      • Graphics Card:
      • GTX 580
      • Display:
      • Syncmaster 2243
      • Sound Card:
      • X-fi titanium
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • 2x microlab solo 7c front and back, 2 x microlab FC subs + pro 1 as center
      • Keyboard:
      • Razer blackwidow
      • Mouse:
      • Razer imperator/deathadder/a4tech x7/razer boomslang 2007CE/ Razer Abyssus
      • Controller:
      • xbox 360
      • Power Supply:
      • 850 Toughpower Thermaltake
      • Optical Drive:
      • Glasses.
      • UPS:
      • Generator that runs on oil downstairs with 24/7 backup
      • Operating System:
      • Windows7 64 I still dont really care.
      • Comment:
      • Yes if you are wondering I am AMD fanboyish :/. LOL
      • ISP:
      • link 3
      • Console:

Im using msi afterburner, both Msi and the evga oc tools are made by the creators of rivatuner.
    Anyhow I did use Nibitor long ago and its a good way to edit the bios of the card, but its not recommended for most average users whod like to shift bars to increase their cards speed .

Too bad my GTX 580 has a locked voltage, fudging gigabyte .
    FTW!!!!!!!!!!