User Tag List

Thread: A few questions about PS3 and online gaming

Default A few questions about PS3 and online gaming

Hey guys, I have just bought an unmodded PS3 and I now have a few questions. If you could help me with the answers to these questions I will be extremely glad.

Here are the questions I have:

1. How much do original PS3 titles cost? I saw on Facebook that pre-owned (second-hand) games are sold between 1000-3000, is there any shop that sells second hand PS3 titles?
    2. Since the PS3 is unmodded and added to a valid PSN account, will all the games (the ones purchased second hand) work online multiplayer? I mostly bought the console for playing GTA 5 and I need to know whether I can play multiplayer online with GTA 5 if I buy the game second hand.
    3. If I can't, or if second hand games do not work with online play, where can I get and how much can a GTA V cost? I saw on PS Store it's priced at $59.99, I wanted to buy it right away but I didn't want to wait another week to download 40+ GB of data.
    4. Just in case anyone has any experience on downloading games from PlayStation Store, can the downloaded data be backed up to a flash drive? I saw all the articles but they talk about save games data/file. Nobody talks about the actual game data that's downloaded onto the hard drive. Can that be backed up?
    5. Also recommend me a handful of Facebook groups that buy/sell original PS3 games. I'm only member of one and I'm sure there are more out there.

Those are the questions I have for now. I have got a handful of games on my Steam account (Including GTA IV, Battlefield 3, etc) but my Intel HD 4000 on my laptop is tired. I couldn't finish GTA IV for poor performance. Now that I've got a 500 GB PS3, I now want to play GTA V but don't want to miss the online fun either.

Please advise. Thank you.
    Tech Journalist, Blogger
    http://aisjournal.com

• Mahib's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus VII Ranger
      • CPU:
      • Intel core [email protected] & Corsair 450D casing
      • RAM:
      • Team xtreem 1X8GB 9-9-9-24 +G.Skill Value 1X8GB 1600 11-11-11-28
      • Hard Drive:
      • Crucial MX200 250GB+Samsung 320GB+Toshiba 650GB+ Macbook pro retina 2013+ HP Pavilion g6-2006TU
      • Graphics Card:
      • MSI GTX970 Gaming [email protected] + [email protected]
      • Display:
      • Acer H226QLbid + Asus VX229H - Both 60Hz IPS 1080P display
      • Sound Card:
      • ROG Supreme FX
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • SONY DAV-TZ-140 Home theater
      • Keyboard:
      • Ttesports Poseidon Z Blue RGB
      • Mouse:
      • Ttesports Talon + Steelseries Sensei
      • Controller:
      • Logitech F310
      • Power Supply:
      • Cooler Master V550W
      • Optical Drive:
      • DOn't have one any more
      • USB Devices:
      • WD 1TB USB 3.0 + ADATA 32GB USB 3.0 + Transcend 16GB USB 2.0 + ADATA USB 3.0 8GB
      • UPS:
      • Nope + HUntkey PZB 504
      • Operating System:
      • WIndows 7 Home premium(HP) + Windows 8.1 pro (not geniune) + Korora(Dual boot PC) + Mac OS X 10.9.5
      • Benchmark Scores:
      • Don't do much benchmarking
      • Comment:
      • Nope nothing to comment as it is always upgrading ;)
      • ISP:
      • Antaranga Dot Com
      • Download Speed:
      • 6Mbps
      • Upload Speed:
      • 6Mbps
      • Console:

Quote Originally Posted by Aminul Islam Sajib View Post
    Hey guys, I have just bought an unmodded PS3 and I now have a few questions. If you could help me with the answers to these questions I will be extremely glad.

Here are the questions I have:

1. How much do original PS3 titles cost? I saw on Facebook that pre-owned (second-hand) games are sold between 1000-3000, is there any shop that sells second hand PS3 titles?
    2. Since the PS3 is unmodded and added to a valid PSN account, will all the games (the ones purchased second hand) work online multiplayer? I mostly bought the console for playing GTA 5 and I need to know whether I can play multiplayer online with GTA 5 if I buy the game second hand.
    3. If I can't, or if second hand games do not work with online play, where can I get and how much can a GTA V cost? I saw on PS Store it's priced at $59.99, I wanted to buy it right away but I didn't want to wait another week to download 40+ GB of data.
    4. Just in case anyone has any experience on downloading games from PlayStation Store, can the downloaded data be backed up to a flash drive? I saw all the articles but they talk about save games data/file. Nobody talks about the actual game data that's downloaded onto the hard drive. Can that be backed up?
    5. Also recommend me a handful of Facebook groups that buy/sell original PS3 games. I'm only member of one and I'm sure there are more out there.

Those are the questions I have for now. I have got a handful of games on my Steam account (Including GTA IV, Battlefield 3, etc) but my Intel HD 4000 on my laptop is tired. I couldn't finish GTA IV for poor performance. Now that I've got a 500 GB PS3, I now want to play GTA V but don't want to miss the online fun either.

Please advise. Thank you.
    1. PS3 original titles cost around the same price of the PC version of the games. (Sometimes we do get combo packages though) . Afaik there're shops in Bashundhara City that sells both orginal and second hand and pirated PS3 games. (Be careful when buying a second-hand game. I heard shops tends to sell pirated copy as second hand one. One of the shop keeper told me this himself)

2. It depends. I heard people playing online, even jailbraking their ps3. But sony doesn't support that and many failed. Second hand games can be played online depending if the game wasn't played online before afaik. I don't buy second hand games I buy from amazon (mainly) when a title I want ,goes promo . If the game was played online with a valid PSN account, I don't about it, because I never played like that. I heard in forums that (in specific titles) they can be played. IDK about that as I don't have any personal experience with it.

3. I have been playing GTA 5 because that game went promo under $25 ($24.99 to be exact). The game is right now should be found around $30 from online resellers. The special edition should cost more, IDK about that edition. Sorry. (be careful when buying from a online reseller. See the shop info and their customer reviews and feedback % (if provided ) ) . If you can buy from amazon that sold by amazon.

4. Nope afaik. You need to jailbrake to do that afaik. BTW what do you mean by back up ??? Do you want to store the game elsewhere and play it later ?? Or do you want to be safe so that your game doesn't get lost?

for first case IDK. for 2nd case you can, but it's not necessary. I never needed that.

5. Sorry.I'm not part of those groups.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahib View Post
    1. PS3 original titles cost around the same price of the PC version of the games. (Sometimes we do get combo packages though) . Afaik there're shops in Bashundhara City that sells both orginal and second hand and pirated PS3 games. (Be careful when buying a second-hand game. I heard shops tends to sell pirated copy as second hand one. One of the shop keeper told me this himself)

2. It depends. I heard people playing online, even jailbraking their ps3. But sony doesn't support that and many failed. Second hand games can be played online depending if the game wasn't played online before afaik. I don't buy second hand games I buy from amazon (mainly) when a title I want ,goes promo . If the game was played online with a valid PSN account, I don't about it, because I never played like that. I heard in forums that (in specific titles) they can be played. IDK about that as I don't have any personal experience with it.

3. I have been playing GTA 5 because that game went promo under $25 ($24.99 to be exact). The game is right now should be found around $30 from online resellers. The special edition should cost more, IDK about that edition. Sorry. (be careful when buying from a online reseller. See the shop info and their customer reviews and feedback % (if provided ) ) . If you can buy from amazon that sold by amazon.

4. Nope afaik. You need to jailbrake to do that afaik. BTW what do you mean by back up ??? Do you want to store the game elsewhere and play it later ?? Or do you want to be safe so that your game doesn't get lost?

for first case IDK. for 2nd case you can, but it's not necessary. I never needed that.

5. Sorry.I'm not part of those groups.

Thanks for your responses brother.

I heard about that too. So I guess I should stay away from second hand games at shops. Can you give me an idea of how much the new titles cost at the shops? I would love to be able to get them from Amazon but the shipment is an issue. Plus groups like Shopr charge insane ($1=100 Taka) to buy stuff from Amazon. Could you tell me how you buy from Amazon?

I just played NFS Run online multiplayer on my second-hand game. Previous owner didn't play online though. I have to see what happens with my GTA V (I got one today, second hand)

As for backing up, I like to buy original games when I can. My Steam account has some really cool titles on it. The number one problem with digital download is, well, the file size. GTA V is about 40GB in download for PS3. On Steam, I do the download because once the download has been completed, I can backup the game data (everything that downloaded) so that I never have to redownload the whole package again. My question is, can I do that with PS3 digital downloads? There is a backup utility on PS3 but I'm just not sure whether that only backs up save game or the game data as well. (which I downloaded from PS Store). And the reason I want to be able to backup the game data is the same, so that I don't have redownload in case I choose to install other games or perform a system format.
    Tech Journalist, Blogger

• Mahib's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • RAM:
      • Hard Drive:
      • Crucial MX200 250GB+Samsung 320GB+Toshiba 650GB+ Macbook pro retina 2013+ HP Pavilion g6-2006TU
      • Graphics Card:
      • Display:
      • Sound Card:
      • ROG Supreme FX
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Keyboard:
      • Mouse:
      • Controller:
      • Logitech F310
      • Power Supply:
      • Cooler Master V550W
      • Optical Drive:
      • USB Devices:
      • WD 1TB USB 3.0 + ADATA 32GB USB 3.0 + Transcend 16GB USB 2.0 + ADATA USB 3.0 8GB
      • UPS:
      • Nope + HUntkey PZB 504
      • Operating System:
      • WIndows 7 Home premium(HP) + Windows 8.1 pro (not geniune) + Korora(Dual boot PC) + Mac OS X 10.9.5
      • Benchmark Scores:
      • Comment:
      • ISP:
      • Antaranga Dot Com
      • Download Speed:
      • 6Mbps
      • Upload Speed:
      • 6Mbps
      • Console:

Thanks for your responses brother.

I heard about that too. So I guess I should stay away from second hand games at shops. Can you give me an idea of how much the new titles cost at the shops? I would love to be able to get them from Amazon but the shipment is an issue. Plus groups like Shopr charge insane ($1=100 Taka) to buy stuff from Amazon. Could you tell me how you buy from Amazon?

I just played NFS Run online multiplayer on my second-hand game. Previous owner didn't play online though. I have to see what happens with my GTA V (I got one today, second hand)

As for backing up, I like to buy original games when I can. My Steam account has some really cool titles on it. The number one problem with digital download is, well, the file size. GTA V is about 40GB in download for PS3. On Steam, I do the download because once the download has been completed, I can backup the game data (everything that downloaded) so that I never have to redownload the whole package again. My question is, can I do that with PS3 digital downloads? There is a backup utility on PS3 but I'm just not sure whether that only backs up save game or the game data as well. (which I downloaded from PS Store). And the reason I want to be able to backup the game data is the same, so that I don't have redownload in case I choose to install other games or perform a system format.
    New titles at shop will cost around 97-105TK per $1, depending on the title and they don't sell on promo price as low as you will find in online store. GTA V should be around 6000+- 100-200 TK. You get the idea. They won't sell in promo price even if they buy it on promo.

And I buy from amazon using my mastercard. So price ratio of per $/TK isn't that issue, the CD is bought by my relative as I ship the product there. But sometimes I
    do download from PSN account giving the game doesn't cost much or it doesn't go on promo in amazon or other trusted online retailer. Though I don't like digital download as it needs time.
    As you see, the price issue is with shipment and custom policy of BD, they charges more (sometimes) if the product categorizes differently. There's some AIT (advanced Income Tax) , VAT and Supplementary Duty (SD) which varies with policy and applied on CIF (Cost, Insurance and Freight). So shipping and insurance is an issue. So, the price becomes more. So it cost more than it should.

Online shopr charges more because of this. I only bought 5 items directly shipping to BD. Unfortunately one of the item, an Memory card was lost once and it took a lot of emailing to get one back. I was lucky as it was without insurance.

Well. for your question of saving up data. You can backup games as well as game Data in simple. In details not all games supports this option. Some titles can be backed up and restore, afaik (I never needed restoring ). It has something to do with game copyright .

I don't back up my some of my games (I bought in CD ) at all ( I don't use the full backup). My 320GB isn't full yet . Well I don't do any other stuff but play game with it.
    And recently I haven't been doing that often too, becoming more of a PC gamer . Cracked games of PC are easy to find in BD servers :/ :/
    Now it depends on the title we play and how many you play and How you use it. I haven't backed up GTA V as i bought CD copy. I don't have any Idea if it can be backed up or not (I guess you tell me ) . BTW backups can't be formated to CD or DVD. I tried and failed. No love loss though.

New titles at shop will cost around 97-105TK per $1, depending on the title and they don't sell on promo price as low as you will find in online store. GTA V should be around 6000+- 100-200 TK. You get the idea. They won't sell in promo price even if they buy it on promo.

And I buy from amazon using my mastercard. So price ratio of per $/TK isn't that issue, the CD is bought by my relative as I ship the product there. But sometimes I
    do download from PSN account giving the game doesn't cost much or it doesn't go on promo in amazon or other trusted online retailer. Though I don't like digital download as it needs time.
    As you see, the price issue is with shipment and custom policy of BD, they charges more (sometimes) if the product categorizes differently. There's some AIT (advanced Income Tax) , VAT and Supplementary Duty (SD) which varies with policy and applied on CIF (Cost, Insurance and Freight). So shipping and insurance is an issue. So, the price becomes more. So it cost more than it should.

Online shopr charges more because of this. I only bought 5 items directly shipping to BD. Unfortunately one of the item, an Memory card was lost once and it took a lot of emailing to get one back. I was lucky as it was without insurance.

Well. for your question of saving up data. You can backup games as well as game Data in simple. In details not all games supports this option. Some titles can be backed up and restore, afaik (I never needed restoring ). It has something to do with game copyright .

I don't back up my some of my games (I bought in CD ) at all ( I don't use the full backup). My 320GB isn't full yet . Well I don't do any other stuff but play game with it.
    And recently I haven't been doing that often too, becoming more of a PC gamer . Cracked games of PC are easy to find in BD servers :/ :/
    Now it depends on the title we play and how many you play and How you use it. I haven't backed up GTA V as i bought CD copy. I don't have any Idea if it can be backed up or not (I guess you tell me ) . BTW backups can't be formated to CD or DVD. I tried and failed. No love loss though.
    Thanks. I have a mastercard too which I use for all my international transactions, but like you said, shipping is an issue. Otherwise I would have gotten games directly from Amazon or GameSpot.

There really isn't any need for backing up games (except game save data) because you are going to be needing the disc to play the game anyway (unless you downloaded the whole game). I just downloaded a game, Ace Infinity Combat, from PS Store as it is free. Now I can check whether the full game data can be backed up. It was a 5 Gb initial download and then an additional 1GB download that couldn't run on the background. -_-

The GTA V I got is a second-hand copy, too. It came with the original box (physical map, manual and all). I am able to log in to rockstar social club and enter GTA Online character creation screen, but I cannot enter any online play. It shows an error and rolls back to GTA V campaign. I looked around and everyone says it's a server issue as either GTA servers are full or there are too many people attempting to access the servers.

I don't think that's the case with me. Those posts were published in 2013, when the game came out. It's 2015, servers cannot be full right now. Do you play GTA V online?

Lastly, no, disc copies of games can't be backed up. You need the disc to play games that you play with the disc. Only if you downloaded digitally, you won't need any disc.
    Tech Journalist, Blogger

• Mahib's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • RAM:
      • Hard Drive:
      • Graphics Card:
      • Display:
      • Sound Card:
      • ROG Supreme FX
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Keyboard:
      • Mouse:
      • Controller:
      • Logitech F310
      • Power Supply:
      • Cooler Master V550W
      • Optical Drive:
      • USB Devices:
      • UPS:
      • Nope + HUntkey PZB 504
      • Operating System:
      • Benchmark Scores:
      • Comment:
      • ISP:
      • Antaranga Dot Com
      • Download Speed:
      • 6Mbps
      • Upload Speed:
      • 6Mbps
      • Console:

Thanks. I have a mastercard too which I use for all my international transactions, but like you said, shipping is an issue. Otherwise I would have gotten games directly from Amazon or GameSpot.

There really isn't any need for backing up games (except game save data) because you are going to be needing the disc to play the game anyway (unless you downloaded the whole game). I just downloaded a game, Ace Infinity Combat, from PS Store as it is free. Now I can check whether the full game data can be backed up. It was a 5 Gb initial download and then an additional 1GB download that couldn't run on the background. -_-

The GTA V I got is a second-hand copy, too. It came with the original box (physical map, manual and all). I am able to log in to rockstar social club and enter GTA Online character creation screen, but I cannot enter any online play. It shows an error and rolls back to GTA V campaign. I looked around and everyone says it's a server issue as either GTA servers are full or there are too many people attempting to access the servers.

I don't think that's the case with me. Those posts were published in 2013, when the game came out. It's 2015, servers cannot be full right now. Do you play GTA V online?

Lastly, no, disc copies of games can't be backed up. You need the disc to play games that you play with the disc. Only if you downloaded digitally, you won't need any disc.
    I did play GTA V online. BUt not in recently. Actually I played it a while back (3-4month ago). ( I don't know why you haven't been able to play online either as I didn't have the issue).

Yeah. Disc copies of gams can't be backed up- officially. (BTW you can back up PS3 disc games to play on HDD or other CD/DVD/Bluray". I found they option (mod !!! ) a while back. I said "I haven't backed up GTA V as I bought the Disc copy." - Meaning I don't know if GTA V (downloaded copy or DIsc copy) can be backed up or not.

Not every game downloaded let's you back up them. It has something to do with copyright afaik. Thus my comment.

I did play GTA V online. BUt not in recently. Actually I played it a while back (3-4month ago). ( I don't know why you haven't been able to play online either as I didn't have the issue).

Yeah. Disc copies of gams can't be backed up- officially. (BTW you can back up PS3 disc games to play on HDD or other CD/DVD/Bluray". I found they option (mod !!! ) a while back. I said "I haven't backed up GTA V as I bought the Disc copy." - Meaning I don't know if GTA V (downloaded copy or DIsc copy) can be backed up or not.

Not every game downloaded let's you back up them. It has something to do with copyright afaik. Thus my comment.
    Mine isn't modded, mostly because I wanted to play online. Plus I heard modded discs often have issues. I hate fiddling with cracks and stuff (reason why some of my favorite games are genuine on my computer). If I have the disc, I don't need to back up anyway. If I downloaded 40 GB worth of data, I must be able to back up that. Now that I've got a GTA V disc, I guess I won't know of I can had I chosen to download that.

I'm a bit disappointed to be unable to go to GTA Online. Perhaps it's because the same game was previously used to go online (the person from whom I purchased played online)? If that's the case, I wouldn't mind shelling out extra money to buy myself a new copy. But shipping is an issue. Do you think you could help me with the shipping of games purchased from Amazon? How much it may cost with the shipping? (I see the actual game is for $30 right now. If you can help me with the shipping, I'll get a fresh copy. )
    Tech Journalist, Blogger

• Mahib's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • RAM:
      • Hard Drive:
      • Graphics Card:
      • Display:
      • Sound Card:
      • ROG Supreme FX
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Keyboard:
      • Mouse:
      • Controller:
      • Logitech F310
      • Power Supply:
      • Cooler Master V550W
      • Optical Drive:
      • USB Devices:
      • UPS:
      • Nope + HUntkey PZB 504
      • Operating System:
      • Benchmark Scores:
      • Comment:
      • ISP:
      • Antaranga Dot Com
      • Download Speed:
      • 6Mbps
      • Upload Speed:
      • 6Mbps
      • Console:

Do you think you could help me with the shipping of games purchased from Amazon? How much it may cost with the shipping? (I see the actual game is for $30 right now. If you can help me with the shipping, I'll get a fresh copy. )
    I think I wasn't clear, I ship my bought Disc to my relative in USA (If I know he will come to Bangladesh shortly after). He doesn't come to Bangladesh that often.
    I only imported 5 items directly to BD. So I know how it works. (But those Items were High-end and mostly bulky Items!!! )

You can ship Item to bangladesh if the seller enables or provides worldwide shipping. If the shipping is provided by seller make sure to see his customer feedback worldwide. The GTA V you're wanting to buy is sold by Amazon. So it should've shipping to bangladesh.
    Games aren't bulky items . So only shipment cost count. No additional cost.
    Problem is BAngladesh doesn't have standard shipment . You have to ship via courier. Per shipment cost $25 + $2/lb(without considering insurance and tracking) (DIsc should not cost in weight ) .
    SO shipping more than 6 Disc/ such item cost $4 dollar each.
    If you ship one item it's $25
    If you ship 6 item it's $25 (I never bought 6 or more item in one shopping in amazon)
    If you ship 7or more item it's $4/item.

There are people here who import a lot of items, they may know better ways.

You should ship it if necessary with a High end item, if you buy something like that of course. Otherwise it's not good.

Another option: Buy it from India. - I think it's the best policy. ( I never bought from indian online store and I'm not recommending either). If you find someone traveling to india,make him receive or buy the disc, that's good option.

Sorry, couldn't help that much

Opps forgot. Shipping cost per Item and Per shipment varies with category. THis the CD,DVD...etc category shipment rate (afaik). I don't know if it changed recently.
    Last edited by Mahib; February 27th, 2015 at 23:37.

I think I wasn't clear, I ship my bought Disc to my relative in USA (If I know he will come to Bangladesh shortly after). He doesn't come to Bangladesh that often.
    I only imported 5 items directly to BD. So I know how it works. (But those Items were High-end and mostly bulky Items!!! )

You can ship Item to bangladesh if the seller enables or provides worldwide shipping. If the shipping is provided by seller make sure to see his customer feedback worldwide. The GTA V you're wanting to buy is sold by Amazon. So it should've shipping to bangladesh.
    Games aren't bulky items . So only shipment cost count. No additional cost.
    Problem is BAngladesh doesn't have standard shipment . You have to ship via courier. Per shipment cost $25 + $2/lb(without considering insurance and tracking) (DIsc should not cost in weight ) .
    SO shipping more than 6 Disc/ such item cost $4 dollar each.
    If you ship one item it's $25
    If you ship 6 item it's $25 (I never bought 6 or more item in one shopping in amazon)
    If you ship 7or more item it's $4/item.

There are people here who import a lot of items, they may know better ways.

You should ship it if necessary with a High end item, if you buy something like that of course. Otherwise it's not good.

Another option: Buy it from India. - I think it's the best policy. ( I never bought from indian online store and I'm not recommending either). If you find someone traveling to india,make him receive or buy the disc, that's good option.

Sorry, couldn't help that much

Opps forgot. Shipping cost per Item and Per shipment varies with category. THis the CD,DVD...etc category shipment rate (afaik). I don't know if it changed recently.
    Thanks for your help bro.
    Tech Journalist, Blogger