User Tag List

Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: *RAM::Turbo Mode*

  1. #1
    Moderator
    • abir's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte G41M-ES2L | Intel 965 HP
      • CPU:
      • Intel Pentium Dual Core E5400 2.7GHz 800MSB| Intel T5670 Core 2 Duo 1.8GHz 800MHz FSB
      • RAM:
      • (2+2) 4GB DDR II (800MHz) | 1GB RAM
      • Hard Drive:
      • 320 GB SATA Samsung | 160GB SATA
      • Graphics Card:
      • Sapphire Radeon 4770 512MB | Intel GMA X3100
      • Display:
      • DELL Inspiron 18.5" LCD |14.1" TFT LCD
      • Sound Card:
      • Realtek Builtin Audio
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Creative Inspire 2.1
      • Keyboard:
      • Genius Slimstar 355 Gaming Keyboard | A4Tech Anti RSI (USB PS2)
      • Mouse:
      • A4tech 7K Office (USB)| HP
      • Power Supply:
      • Deluxe DLP 388A 450W
      • Optical Drive:
      • ASUS 16X DVD Drive & Liteon DVDW| Asus DVD RAMRW LightScribe
      • USB Devices:
      • 4GB Apacer Pendrive
      • UPS:
      • OVO 650VA
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64 | Windows XP SP2 & Ubuntu 9.04
      • ISP:
      • Smile Internet (Bronze)
    abir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Azimpur
    Posts
    7,913

    Question *RAM::Turbo Mode*

    I entered the bios, and saw there are 3 ram modes.
    standard, turbo & extreme.
    can anyone explain about these ram modes??
    I've set ram mode to turbo? will i get any advantage :S
    any extra advantage for extreme mode?
    [they suggested not to use it with overclocking]

    btw, my motherboard is Gigabyte G41.

    "Game after game after game, I realized what is most important of my life - FOOTBALL.."
    I bleed red, Man Utd 4ever..
    ---------------------
    অনেক দূরের একলা পথে, ক্লান্ত আমি ফিরি তোমার কাছে, মুখোশ খুলে বসে রই জানলার ধারে..

  2. #2
    Global Moderator
    • Codex's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 3770k
      • RAM:
      • G.Skill Sniper 2x8G (9-9-9-24 Kits)
      • Hard Drive:
      • Samsung 850 PRO 256G SSD, Geil 512G SSD, HDDs: 2TBx1, 1TBx1, 500Gx1, 165Gx1
      • Graphics Card:
      • Sapphire R9 280x (Dual-x edition)
      • Display:
      • Triple monitors: Samsung S24300B + Dell E2210 x2
      • Sound Card:
      • CEntrance DACport Slim
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Sennheiser HD598 / FLC 8s
      • Keyboard:
      • Thermaltek Challenger Pro
      • Mouse:
      • Logitech MX Master w/ Razer Goliathus Mid.
      • Controller:
      • Don't have one
      • Power Supply:
      • Inwin 750 watts w/ 80+ Bronze Certification
      • Optical Drive:
      • Asus DRW24B3ST
      • USB Devices:
      • 2TB Seagate External USB 3.0 drive
      • UPS:
      • Mercury 1.2KVA
      • Operating System:
      • Genuine Windows 10 Pro
      • Benchmark Scores:
      • Over nine thousand!
      • Comment:
      • ISP:
      • AntBD + AmberIT Dual Homed
      • Download Speed:
      • ~ 1200 KB/s
      • Upload Speed:
      • ~ 1200 KB/s

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Under your bed.
    Posts
    7,983

    Default Re: *RAM::Turbo Mode*

    On Intel mobos, 'turbo' mode refers to a 20mhz increase in RaM Clock.

  3. #3
    Member
    • proton_chain's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3
      • CPU:
      • RAM:
      • 4x4GB DDR3-1600MHz
      • Hard Drive:
      • 6.5TB (3TB+2TB+1TB+.5TB)
      • Graphics Card:
      • Nvidia Geforce GTX 760 4GB
      • Display:
      • Samsung Syncmaster 22 inch
      • Sound Card:
      • Asus Xonar Essence STX
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Shure SRH440
      • Keyboard:
      • TT Challenger Pro
      • Mouse:
      • A4tech Bloody V3M
      • Power Supply:
      • Thermaltake Toughpower 600W
      • Optical Drive:
      • Sony Optiarc DVD burner
      • USB Devices:
      • Blue Yeti USB Microphone
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • ISP:
      • Amber IT
      • Download Speed:
      • 384 KB/s (day), 786 KB/s (night)
      • Upload Speed:
      • 384 KB/s (day), 786 KB/s (night)
    proton_chain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,113

    Default Re: *RAM::Turbo Mode*

    It would've been better if you have mentioned the revision number of your motherboard (like rev 1.0, rev 1.3 etc.). By the way, click here for the manual (rev 1.4 of your motherboard), if you want to verify my post.

    In the manual, it says. . .
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dram.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	116.7 KB 
ID:	5435

    Even though Gigabyte is a great brand which makes quality products, they have limited documentation and support. This so called "Performance Enhance" has been one of Gigabyte's "unknown features". They only provide little info like "it enhances performance", but not "how". What Winterise said may be the case, but I also saw people suspecting that it does something to the latencies. Then comes the question "which frequency" or "which latency"? The answer is highly debated. Most of them are set in the BIOS, or by the SPD of your RAM, if it supports this feature. In your case, the northbridge latencies are also set by "memory multiplier strap" selection. That does not leave more than a few candidates. There is dead silence on the Gigabyte side about exactly what it is and what it does.

    I, too, use a Gigabyte motherboard (P55A-UD3; when I am writing this post). And from my experience, I saw that setting memory to "standard" helps in overclocking. When you get a sweet spot for your CPU, you can then tweak the memory accordingly. I did not see any improvement/degradation in performance in benchmarks based on the settings (standard/turbo/extreme).

    So, my suggestion would be to keep it at default turbo state. Even if it offers 20 MHz increase, or tightens the timings very slightly, thats negligible. People report no real world differences between 1066 and 1333 MHz RAM modules. So what do you think this feature will? Maybe thats why it is highly debated and mysterious at the same time.


  4. #4
    Moderator
    • abir's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte G41M-ES2L | Intel 965 HP
      • CPU:
      • Intel Pentium Dual Core E5400 2.7GHz 800MSB| Intel T5670 Core 2 Duo 1.8GHz 800MHz FSB
      • RAM:
      • (2+2) 4GB DDR II (800MHz) | 1GB RAM
      • Hard Drive:
      • 320 GB SATA Samsung | 160GB SATA
      • Graphics Card:
      • Sapphire Radeon 4770 512MB | Intel GMA X3100
      • Display:
      • DELL Inspiron 18.5" LCD |14.1" TFT LCD
      • Sound Card:
      • Realtek Builtin Audio
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Creative Inspire 2.1
      • Keyboard:
      • Genius Slimstar 355 Gaming Keyboard | A4Tech Anti RSI (USB PS2)
      • Mouse:
      • A4tech 7K Office (USB)| HP
      • Power Supply:
      • Deluxe DLP 388A 450W
      • Optical Drive:
      • ASUS 16X DVD Drive & Liteon DVDW| Asus DVD RAMRW LightScribe
      • USB Devices:
      • 4GB Apacer Pendrive
      • UPS:
      • OVO 650VA
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64 | Windows XP SP2 & Ubuntu 9.04
      • ISP:
      • Smile Internet (Bronze)
    abir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Azimpur
    Posts
    7,913

    Default Re: *RAM::Turbo Mode*

    Quote Originally Posted by proton_chain View Post
    It would've been better if you have mentioned the revision number of your motherboard (like rev 1.0, rev 1.3 etc.). By the way, click here for the manual (rev 1.4 of your motherboard), if you want to verify my post.

    In the manual, it says. . .
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dram.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	116.7 KB 
ID:	5435

    Even though Gigabyte is a great brand which makes quality products, they have limited documentation and support. This so called "Performance Enhance" has been one of Gigabyte's "unknown features". They only provide little info like "it enhances performance", but not "how". What Winterise said may be the case, but I also saw people suspecting that it does something to the latencies. Then comes the question "which frequency" or "which latency"? The answer is highly debated. Most of them are set in the BIOS, or by the SPD of your RAM, if it supports this feature. In your case, the northbridge latencies are also set by "memory multiplier strap" selection. That does not leave more than a few candidates. There is dead silence on the Gigabyte side about exactly what it is and what it does.

    I, too, use a Gigabyte motherboard (P55A-UD3; when I am writing this post). And from my experience, I saw that setting memory to "standard" helps in overclocking. When you get a sweet spot for your CPU, you can then tweak the memory accordingly. I did not see any improvement/degradation in performance in benchmarks based on the settings (standard/turbo/extreme).

    So, my suggestion would be to keep it at default turbo state. Even if it offers 20 MHz increase, or tightens the timings very slightly, thats negligible. People report no real world differences between 1066 and 1333 MHz RAM modules. So what do you think this feature will? Maybe thats why it is highly debated and mysterious at the same time.
    rev 1.4
    i don't OC anything.
    so can go for extreme mode?

    "Game after game after game, I realized what is most important of my life - FOOTBALL.."
    I bleed red, Man Utd 4ever..
    ---------------------
    অনেক দূরের একলা পথে, ক্লান্ত আমি ফিরি তোমার কাছে, মুখোশ খুলে বসে রই জানলার ধারে..

  5. #5
    Member
    • proton_chain's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3
      • CPU:
      • RAM:
      • 4x4GB DDR3-1600MHz
      • Hard Drive:
      • 6.5TB (3TB+2TB+1TB+.5TB)
      • Graphics Card:
      • Nvidia Geforce GTX 760 4GB
      • Display:
      • Samsung Syncmaster 22 inch
      • Sound Card:
      • Asus Xonar Essence STX
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Shure SRH440
      • Keyboard:
      • TT Challenger Pro
      • Mouse:
      • A4tech Bloody V3M
      • Power Supply:
      • Thermaltake Toughpower 600W
      • Optical Drive:
      • Sony Optiarc DVD burner
      • USB Devices:
      • Blue Yeti USB Microphone
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • ISP:
      • Amber IT
      • Download Speed:
      • 384 KB/s (day), 786 KB/s (night)
      • Upload Speed:
      • 384 KB/s (day), 786 KB/s (night)
    proton_chain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,113

    Default Re: *RAM::Turbo Mode*

    Quote Originally Posted by abir View Post
    rev 1.4
    i don't OC anything.
    so can go for extreme mode?
    Its your choice. But I do not recommend RAM overclocking, because of the negligible performance enhancement. If you still want to, then do it manually and most likely you will get 10-30% overclock. But the performance difference will be ~1%, even in extreme situations. CPU overclocking will yield better performance than RAM overclocking. Furthermore, your RAMs might not have heatsinks on them and they will run hotter quicker. If you select extreme mode, you may get a 5% or so overclock on the RAM at maximum, which will result in ~0.2% performance difference. Also, remember the fact that overclocking RAM (whether it is done manually or automatically) will reduce stability. That may result in data corruption. In a word, the risks are too high, the differences are so small that RAMs are better kept at default setting unless you are a die hard overclocker.


  6. #6
    Moderator
    • Mazhar's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • building
      • CPU:
      • the
      • RAM:
      • new
      • Hard Drive:
      • pc
      • Graphics Card:
      • in
      • Display:
      • a
      • Sound Card:
      • month
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Sennheiser HD650/Shure SRH-840
      • Keyboard:
      • Sidewinder X4
      • Mouse:
      • Logitech G300
      • Controller:
      • Xbox 360 Controller
      • Power Supply:
      • Corsair AX750
      • Optical Drive:
      • Sony 20X DVD-RW
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium
      • ISP:
      • Talktalk Fiber
      • Download Speed:
      • 3400
      • Upload Speed:
      • 240
    Mazhar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,904

    Default Re: *RAM::Turbo Mode*

    Quote Originally Posted by proton_chain View Post
    Its your choice. But I do not recommend RAM overclocking, because of the negligible performance enhancement. If you still want to, then do it manually and most likely you will get 10-30% overclock. But the performance difference will be ~1%, even in extreme situations. CPU overclocking will yield better performance than RAM overclocking. Furthermore, your RAMs might not have heatsinks on them and they will run hotter quicker. If you select extreme mode, you may get a 5% or so overclock on the RAM at maximum, which will result in ~0.2% performance difference. Also, remember the fact that overclocking RAM (whether it is done manually or automatically) will reduce stability. That may result in data corruption. In a word, the risks are too high, the differences are so small that RAMs are better kept at default setting unless you are a die hard overclocker.
    Actually, in my experience, it affected the mem > northbridge latencies, tRD if I remember correctly. Nothing to do with memory frequency. That is quite a useful latency to reduce, usually more beneficial than the other memory latencies.

    Quote Originally Posted by abir View Post
    I entered the bios, and saw there are 3 ram modes.
    standard, turbo & extreme.
    can anyone explain about these ram modes??
    You can set it to turbo if your memory is at/near stock. Best way to see any performance difference is to download superPI 1.5XS, or download AIDA64. Thats the replacement for everest, and has a free trial. Alternatively you can download SiSoft SANDRA and run the memory benchmark.

    These are synthetic gains though, in the real world the difference would be 1 - 2 % at best by only changing the mode from normal to extreme

  7. #7

    Default Re: *RAM::Turbo Mode*

    yo,chain bro rocks

Similar Threads

  1. Asus Brings Back The Turbo Button-- (ASUS P7P55D)
    By Uchiha Obito in forum Tech News
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: February 2nd, 2011, 01:00
  2. Enhanced mode vs compatible mode
    By saadbillah in forum Technical Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: September 16th, 2009, 00:46
  3. WTF ! mode !
    By SP.Sn4k3y- in forum DotA Talk
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: July 11th, 2008, 21:21
  4. 911 turbo tuning
    By mr_08 in forum Older NFS Games
    Replies: 166
    Last Post: May 24th, 2008, 11:14
  5. FIFA 08 Manager Mode
    By Mad Monk in forum Older FIFA Games
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: March 18th, 2008, 03:38

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Page generated in 0.20575 seconds with 15 queries.