User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

Thread: can the corsair vs450 handle 7870 or 660

  1. #1
    Member
    • Arka karlos's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • gigabyte b75m hd3
      • CPU:
      • intel core i3 3220
      • RAM:
      • twinmos 4gb piano black
      • Hard Drive:
      • western digital blue 1tb
      • Graphics Card:
      • sapphire 7870 dual x oc
      • Display:
      • dell s2240l
      • Sound Card:
      • realtek onboard
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Microlab M-590
      • Controller:
      • habit HV-G83
      • Power Supply:
      • corsair vs450 cp-9020096-uk
      • Optical Drive:
      • samsung s222
      • UPS:
      • Ideal 800va
      • Operating System:
      • windows 7 ultimate 64bit
      • ISP:
      • teletalk 3g
      • Download Speed:
      • 100KBps
    Arka karlos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Dhaka
    Posts
    434

    Default can the corsair vs450 handle 7870 or 660

    title says all and one more thing what is the current price of r9 270?

  2. #2
    Member
    • mithun12ka4's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte B75M-D3H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i3-3220
      • RAM:
      • Transend 4x2 Gb 1600Mhz
      • Hard Drive:
      • Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB, Samsung Spinpoint F3 500 GB and Seagate Barracuda 3TB
      • Graphics Card:
      • Sapphire Radeon HD 7790 OC Dual-X
      • Display:
      • LG 22" Class Widescreen LCD (W2243T)
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • FND 2.1
      • Keyboard:
      • A4-Tech ComfortKey KR-85
      • Mouse:
      • A4-Tech OP-620D USB
      • Controller:
      • Havit HV-G83
      • Power Supply:
      • Corsair VS450
      • ISP:
      • Mazeda

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    368

    Default

    Depends on other components of the system? Corsair VS450 (brown) can draw 400W at v12 rail.
    HD 7870 can draw up to 200W, again it depends on which version you are using.
    GTX 660 can draw up to 150W, again it depends.

    Sapphire R9 270 is 16.5k at UCC
    Asus R9 270 OC is 18k at Global
    Gigabyte GV R927OC is 17k at Ryans

  3. #3
    Member
    • giant's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI H77MA-G43
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 3470 @ 3.6ghz
      • RAM:
      • 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz ||TwinMOS 4+2+2 GB
      • Hard Drive:
      • Samsung 850 PRO 256GB || WDC Blue 1TB (WD10EZEX)
      • Graphics Card:
      • Sapphire HD 7950 3GB DDR5 Vapor-X || [email protected] [email protected] [email protected]
      • Display:
      • Asus VX229H 21.5inch , Sony Bravia R426B 32inch
      • Sound Card:
      • Realtek ALC892
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • F&D A520 2.1ch || Xiaomi Mi Basic
      • Keyboard:
      • Delux K9020
      • Mouse:
      • Logitech G402 || Razer Goliathus Control Edition
      • Controller:
      • Microsoft Xbox 360 wired controller
      • Power Supply:
      • Thermaltake SE 630W
      • Optical Drive:
      • Asus DRW-24B3ST (24x)
      • UPS:
      • Power Tree SP600B(PC starts without switching the UPS, on :D)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Comment:
      • packed in a NZXT S340 White Version
      • ISP:
      • Link 3
    giant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Khulna, Bangladesh
    Posts
    1,935

    Default

    what is your cpu?

  4. #4
    Moderator
    • Mazhar's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • building
      • CPU:
      • the
      • RAM:
      • new
      • Hard Drive:
      • pc
      • Graphics Card:
      • in
      • Display:
      • a
      • Sound Card:
      • month
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Sennheiser HD650/Shure SRH-840
      • Keyboard:
      • Sidewinder X4
      • Mouse:
      • Logitech G300
      • Controller:
      • Xbox 360 Controller
      • Power Supply:
      • Corsair AX750
      • Optical Drive:
      • Sony 20X DVD-RW
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium
      • ISP:
      • Talktalk Fiber
      • Download Speed:
      • 3400
      • Upload Speed:
      • 240
    Mazhar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,904

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arka karlos View Post
    title says all and one more thing what is the current price of r9 270?
    It will be more than enough. Even a 7970 at stock will be okay with the CPU that you have (as well as an i5/i7 provided you're not running crazy volts)

  5. #5
    Member
    • mithun12ka4's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte B75M-D3H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i3-3220
      • RAM:
      • Transend 4x2 Gb 1600Mhz
      • Hard Drive:
      • Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB, Samsung Spinpoint F3 500 GB and Seagate Barracuda 3TB
      • Graphics Card:
      • Sapphire Radeon HD 7790 OC Dual-X
      • Display:
      • LG 22" Class Widescreen LCD (W2243T)
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • FND 2.1
      • Keyboard:
      • A4-Tech ComfortKey KR-85
      • Mouse:
      • A4-Tech OP-620D USB
      • Controller:
      • Havit HV-G83
      • Power Supply:
      • Corsair VS450
      • ISP:
      • Mazeda

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    368

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mazhar View Post
    It will be more than enough. Even a 7970 at stock will be okay with the CPU that you have (as well as an i5/i7 provided you're not running crazy volts)
    A 7970 even at stock can draw up to 300W. Even with the newest i3 the system can draw up to another 100w. Which will be the max for VS450. This is an extremely bad idea. VS450 is a good PSU but doesn't come close of being a tier 1. I will never push it beyond 350w.
    Last edited by mithun12ka4; November 25th, 2014 at 11:19.

  6. #6
    Moderator
    • Mazhar's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • building
      • CPU:
      • the
      • RAM:
      • new
      • Hard Drive:
      • pc
      • Graphics Card:
      • in
      • Display:
      • a
      • Sound Card:
      • month
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Sennheiser HD650/Shure SRH-840
      • Keyboard:
      • Sidewinder X4
      • Mouse:
      • Logitech G300
      • Controller:
      • Xbox 360 Controller
      • Power Supply:
      • Corsair AX750
      • Optical Drive:
      • Sony 20X DVD-RW
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium
      • ISP:
      • Talktalk Fiber
      • Download Speed:
      • 3400
      • Upload Speed:
      • 240
    Mazhar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,904

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mithun12ka4 View Post
    A 7970 even at stock can draw up to 300W. Even it the newest i3 the system can draw up to another 100w. Which will be the max for VS450. This is an extremely bad idea. VS450 is a good PSU but doesn't come close of being a tier 1. I will never push it beyond 350w.
    The VS can surely output its full power which as you say is 400W in the +12V rail even though ripple/noise/efficiency wont be that great. The VX used to be able to draw more than its rated power, which is the norm for most decent PSU's so VS shouldn't be much worse. Also, the 7970 at stock will draw at absolute max around 230W while gaming as gaming loads never reach TDP. One thing you must note is that when playing games, the CPU will never draw anywhere near its max power or TDP so you cannot really add up the maximum GPU+CPU power for obtaining the total load. Furmark may reach TDP, but that power consumption scenario is also irrelevant because the CPU wont be fully loaded while running it.

    Look here. They had a 2600K at 4.8ghz but even then the load while gaming was 369W at the wall. Factor in efficiency loss and the system load comes to around 330W.

    I'm not saying that its the best idea to pair a 7970 and i7 with a PSU with 400W at the +12V rail but its entirely doable if you're not overclocking the GPU.
    Last edited by Mazhar; November 25th, 2014 at 11:43.

  7. #7
    Member
    • shafi's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z170 gaming 7, apple macbook pro late 2013 retina/ apple ipad air/iPad pro 9.7 iPhone 7+
      • CPU:
      • CORE i7 6700K WITH coolermaster hyper 212 evo/intel haswell i7 2.3 ghz
      • RAM:
      • GSkill RipJaws v 3000 32gb ddr4/16 gb ddr3 1600 mhz on mac
      • Hard Drive:
      • Samsung 850 evo 250gb+1tb+wd ezex 1tb, trancend 35t3 3 tb, Wd black 5tb, 950 pro, muskin 1tb
      • Graphics Card:
      • gigabyte gtx 1080 xtreme sli/ intel iris pro+ nvidia gt 750m 2gb gddr5
      • Display:
      • samsung ku 6290 4k uhd tv, Dell S2716DG
      • Sound Card:
      • Sound blaster zx
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Akg k7xx,Samson sr 850, audio technica ath m50x, ,dt 990 pro, hd 598
      • Keyboard:
      • corsair vengeance k95 rgb
      • Mouse:
      • logitech g500s, g700s,g502,g402, deathadder chorma on razer goliathus speed edition
      • Controller:
      • ps4, xbox one controller
      • Power Supply:
      • corsair rm i 1000w
      • Optical Drive:
      • None
      • USB Devices:
      • 32 gb trancend, 64gb sandisk, 16gb kingston
      • UPS:
      • None
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 education, mac osx maverick 10.9.1
      • Benchmark Scores:
      • wei- cpu and ram-7.6 on stock, gfx-7.9
      • Comment:
      • thanks a lot to omnipotent creator(as a muslim allah) for my awesome rig, xbox one and ps4
      • ISP:
      • Teksavvy 60mbps unlimited
      • Download Speed:
      • 9.2MB/s
      • Upload Speed:
      • Don't upload
      • Console:
      • 128
    shafi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    1,712

    Default

    I used to say that always buy a beefy psu as its better to provide some headroom for oc/future upgrade. For example a good 650w was enough for my 560 sli setup, but i bought a 850w. So when i upgraded my 560 sli setup to gtx 770 sli setup, i didn't have to change anything. Again my psu provides me enough headroom to sli my 770.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Psu price doesn't change that much. So buy a beefy psu if u can manage some extra 2-3k.

  8. #8
    Member
    • Franklin's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte z97P D3
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 - 4590 processor
      • RAM:
      • GSkill Ripjaws-X 2x8GB 1600mhz
      • Hard Drive:
      • Toshiba 2TB 5400 rpm And Transcend 370 128GB
      • Graphics Card:
      • MSI TF V GTX 960 Gaming 2 GB
      • Display:
      • LG Flatron M227WA LCD TV Monitor
      • Sound Card:
      • Integrated
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • NIA Wireless Headset
      • Keyboard:
      • A4 tech
      • Mouse:
      • A4Tech Bloody V3M
      • Controller:
      • PS3 Wireless Controller
      • Power Supply:
      • Cooler Master v750W
      • Optical Drive:
      • Asus DVD RW 24x
      • USB Devices:
      • Transcend Jetflash v70 8 GB
      • UPS:
      • Apollo 800VA
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit (Ingeniune)
      • Comment:
      • Finally A Rig Off Of My Own Money. :)
      • ISP:
      • DOT
      • Download Speed:
      • 512 kBps with a B
      • Upload Speed:
      • 512 kBps with a B
      • Console:
      • 16
    Franklin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Universe
    Posts
    1,958

    Default

    Power efficiency is rather a vital concern and on top of the priority list in the PC industries these days. If this trend lingers on(which it will most likely), even a 500w PSU will be an overkill for most builds in a few years time.

    To the OP,

    >Yes, that PSU will suffice. However, for the sake of future-proofing, get a 500w quality PSU.
    >Current price of R9 270 ~15.9k.

  9. #9
    Member
    • Arka karlos's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • gigabyte b75m hd3
      • CPU:
      • intel core i3 3220
      • RAM:
      • twinmos 4gb piano black
      • Hard Drive:
      • western digital blue 1tb
      • Graphics Card:
      • sapphire 7870 dual x oc
      • Display:
      • dell s2240l
      • Sound Card:
      • realtek onboard
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Microlab M-590
      • Controller:
      • habit HV-G83
      • Power Supply:
      • corsair vs450 cp-9020096-uk
      • Optical Drive:
      • samsung s222
      • UPS:
      • Ideal 800va
      • Operating System:
      • windows 7 ultimate 64bit
      • ISP:
      • teletalk 3g
      • Download Speed:
      • 100KBps
    Arka karlos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Dhaka
    Posts
    434

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mithun12ka4 View Post
    Depends on other components of the system? Corsair VS450 (brown) can draw 400W at v12 rail.
    HD 7870 can draw up to 200W, again it depends on which version you are using.
    GTX 660 can draw up to 150W, again it depends.

    Sapphire R9 270 is 16.5k at UCC
    Asus R9 270 OC is 18k at Global
    Gigabyte GV R927OC is 17k at Ryans
    didnt know there are two version of that psu. what is the other one and how can i distinguish them?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post
    what is your cpu?
    I3 3220

  10. #10
    Member
    • mithun12ka4's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte B75M-D3H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i3-3220
      • RAM:
      • Transend 4x2 Gb 1600Mhz
      • Hard Drive:
      • Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB, Samsung Spinpoint F3 500 GB and Seagate Barracuda 3TB
      • Graphics Card:
      • Sapphire Radeon HD 7790 OC Dual-X
      • Display:
      • LG 22" Class Widescreen LCD (W2243T)
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • FND 2.1
      • Keyboard:
      • A4-Tech ComfortKey KR-85
      • Mouse:
      • A4-Tech OP-620D USB
      • Controller:
      • Havit HV-G83
      • Power Supply:
      • Corsair VS450
      • ISP:
      • Mazeda

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    368

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mazhar View Post
    The VS can surely output its full power which as you say is 400W in the +12V rail even though ripple/noise/efficiency wont be that great. The VX used to be able to draw more than its rated power, which is the norm for most decent PSU's so VS shouldn't be much worse. Also, the 7970 at stock will draw at absolute max around 230W while gaming as gaming loads never reach TDP. One thing you must note is that when playing games, the CPU will never draw anywhere near its max power or TDP so you cannot really add up the maximum GPU+CPU power for obtaining the total load. Furmark may reach TDP, but that power consumption scenario is also irrelevant because the CPU wont be fully loaded while running it.

    Look here. They had a 2600K at 4.8ghz but even then the load while gaming was 369W at the wall. Factor in efficiency loss and the system load comes to around 330W.

    I'm not saying that its the best idea to pair a 7970 and i7 with a PSU with 400W at the +12V rail but its entirely doable if you're not overclocking the GPU.
    A benchmark or review site might confirm that VS450 can output 400W at v12 rail. But please keep in mind that they are using a new PSU. As a PSU ages and capacitors die so does its ability to perform at its peak. VS series is Tier 3 PSU whereas VX is Tier 2.

    We assume that under ideal conditions while gaming a system will never reach its max TDP. But in practical use a system have been noted to draw 1.5 times its TDP. Although such power surges may not last over a second, but when it happens your PSU better be able to cope with it. Trust me it does happen. If you can monitor you power usage over a large period of time to ever second you will find such power surges.

    One more thing a CPU and GPU is not the only component. Motherboard, HDD, Disk drives, Fans, and other peripheral also needs power

    Tell me one thing the benchmark which you provided, why did they use a 1350W power supply? They could have used Corsair VS450 since according to you its totally doable?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Arka karlos View Post
    didnt know there are two version of that psu. what is the other one and how can i distinguish them?

    - - - Updated - - -



    I3 3220

    Well one is made by ASUS while the other is made by Gigabyte. There are other manufacturers also who makes r9 270. Within each manufacturer there are different versions also. Although in BD we are limited between 2/3 options.

    Visit the different brands websites to learn more.

  11. #11
    Member
    • Fox Mulder's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H Rev 1.1 (Currently dead) | Intel DH55TC
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 3470 @ 3.8 Ghz (Currently not used) | intel Core i7 860 @ 3.3 GHz
      • RAM:
      • Corsair Vengeance 1600 MHz 2x4GB
      • Hard Drive:
      • Western Digital Blue 1 Terrabyte
      • Graphics Card:
      • Sapphire HD 7950 Vapor-X OC With Boost 3GB GDDR5 || Gigabyte GTX 680 Windforce 4GB
      • Display:
      • Philips 191EL 19" LED @77 Hz
      • Sound Card:
      • Creative Sound Blaster Live! 24 Bit
      • Keyboard:
      • Corsair K70 RGB
      • Mouse:
      • A4Tech 2X Click
      • Power Supply:
      • Thermaltake Smart 650W Modular
      • Optical Drive:
      • Samsung DVD Writer
      • UPS:
      • Spark Power (!) 1200VA
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Build 10162
      • Comment:
      • It gets the job done!
      • ISP:
      • BracNet
      • Download Speed:
      • 1 Mbps
      • Upload Speed:
      • 1 Mbps
    Fox Mulder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    I don't live in a city.
    Posts
    5,185

    Default

    How can a system draw 1.5 times of it's TDP in whatever this practical use may be? Linkpack and Fur rendering at the same time perhaps, which is a very practical usage, right? And as for HD 7970's TDP, unless you are overclocking, or buying a heavily factory OC'd varaint, there's no way it is going to pull 300W unless you have set the Power tune to maximum.
    Last edited by Fox Mulder; November 25th, 2014 at 13:48.

  12. #12
    Member
    • Arka karlos's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • gigabyte b75m hd3
      • CPU:
      • intel core i3 3220
      • RAM:
      • twinmos 4gb piano black
      • Hard Drive:
      • western digital blue 1tb
      • Graphics Card:
      • sapphire 7870 dual x oc
      • Display:
      • dell s2240l
      • Sound Card:
      • realtek onboard
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Microlab M-590
      • Controller:
      • habit HV-G83
      • Power Supply:
      • corsair vs450 cp-9020096-uk
      • Optical Drive:
      • samsung s222
      • UPS:
      • Ideal 800va
      • Operating System:
      • windows 7 ultimate 64bit
      • ISP:
      • teletalk 3g
      • Download Speed:
      • 100KBps
    Arka karlos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Dhaka
    Posts
    434

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shafi View Post
    I used to say that always buy a beefy psu as its better to provide some headroom for oc/future upgrade. For example a good 650w was enough for my 560 sli setup, but i bought a 850w. So when i upgraded my 560 sli setup to gtx 770 sli setup, i didn't have to change anything. Again my psu provides me enough headroom to sli my 770.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Psu price doesn't change that much. So buy a beefy psu if u can manage some extra 2-3k.
    i understand the idea but as i am not going to overclock gpu, if psu can handle those i think it will be okay for me and another thing to consider that gpus are getting more and more power efficient. therefore if the psu is good enough to handle 7870 it can surely handle 970 or future gpus

  13. #13
    Member
    • VANGUARD's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 8700K 5.2Ghz @Corsair H115i
      • RAM:
      • Gskill Ripjaws V 3466MHz 2x8GB
      • Hard Drive:
      • Zotac SSD 480GB Premium + Seagate Barracuda 2TB
      • Graphics Card:
      • Zotac GTX 1080Ti Amp! Extreme
      • Display:
      • ASUS VX24AH, 1440p
      • Sound Card:
      • ROG SupremeFX
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Microlab M-910/Logitech UE 200vm
      • Keyboard:
      • Corsair STRAFE-CherryRED
      • Mouse:
      • Logitech G602 @Tt Pyrrhus
      • Controller:
      • Xbox One Wireless
      • Power Supply:
      • Antec EDGE 650w
      • Optical Drive:
      • Samsung SH-224FB
      • USB Devices:
      • Everything
      • UPS:
      • Micro UVL-1500 Long Backup
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64
      • Comment:
      • The workhorse
      • ISP:
      • The Net Heads
    VANGUARD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Dhaka
    Posts
    10,098

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mazhar View Post
    It will be more than enough. Even a 7970 at stock will be okay with the CPU that you have (as well as an i5/i7 provided you're not running crazy volts)
    @Arka karlos this ^^^

  14. #14
    Moderator
    • Mazhar's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • building
      • CPU:
      • the
      • RAM:
      • new
      • Hard Drive:
      • pc
      • Graphics Card:
      • in
      • Display:
      • a
      • Sound Card:
      • month
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Sennheiser HD650/Shure SRH-840
      • Keyboard:
      • Sidewinder X4
      • Mouse:
      • Logitech G300
      • Controller:
      • Xbox 360 Controller
      • Power Supply:
      • Corsair AX750
      • Optical Drive:
      • Sony 20X DVD-RW
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium
      • ISP:
      • Talktalk Fiber
      • Download Speed:
      • 3400
      • Upload Speed:
      • 240
    Mazhar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,904

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mithun12ka4 View Post
    A benchmark or review site might confirm that VS450 can output 400W at v12 rail. But please keep in mind that they are using a new PSU. As a PSU ages and capacitors die so does its ability to perform at its peak. VS series is Tier 3 PSU whereas VX is Tier 2.

    We assume that under ideal conditions while gaming a system will never reach its max TDP. But in practical use a system have been noted to draw 1.5 times its TDP. Although such power surges may not last over a second, but when it happens your PSU better be able to cope with it. Trust me it does happen. If you can monitor you power usage over a large period of time to ever second you will find such power surges.

    One more thing a CPU and GPU is not the only component. Motherboard, HDD, Disk drives, Fans, and other peripheral also needs power

    Tell me one thing the benchmark which you provided, why did they use a 1350W power supply? They could have used Corsair VS450 since according to you its totally doable?
    I agree with your first statement, as it gets older the power delivered may reduce. This is why good PSU's are rated to be able to supply more than what they are rated for when they are new. Have a look at this VX when overloaded, even if the VS is worse it should be able to reliably supply around 400W or atleast very close to that for a few years at least.

    Secondly, I am not familiar with the power surge thing you mentioned. I know of power surges in the main electricity line which should be handled by the PSU but I have not heard of the PC itself having power surges. I have run systems which had around 50 watts in reserve power (~300W load with a 350W PSU) and have not experienced an issue. If you can link me to a reliable website/article mentioning this I will be grateful. Also, motherboard draws very little power and the other peripherals mostly draw from the 5v line. In any case, with his system the load should be around 300W with a 7970.

    To reply to your final question, albeit a rhetorical one, is because they do not want the PSU to be an issue and want a massive margin of safety just because they can. It does not mean that a VS450 will not run it, but its not a PSU review. Anyway, I believe you're thinking that i'm saying its a good practice to run a half decent 450W PSU with a >300W load. Far from it really, I always recommend more spare headroom for many factors, notably the simple fact that the ripple, noise and voltage regulation of a PSU is always better at, say, 60% than near its full load. But I simply stated that running a stock 7970 in his system will be possible but not necessarily recommended.

    Quote Originally Posted by VANGUARD View Post
    @Arka karlos this ^^^
    Didn't you also run a PSU at the limit sometime back if I remember correctly?
    Last edited by Mazhar; November 25th, 2014 at 18:16.

  15. #15
    Member
    • mithun12ka4's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte B75M-D3H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i3-3220
      • RAM:
      • Transend 4x2 Gb 1600Mhz
      • Hard Drive:
      • Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB, Samsung Spinpoint F3 500 GB and Seagate Barracuda 3TB
      • Graphics Card:
      • Sapphire Radeon HD 7790 OC Dual-X
      • Display:
      • LG 22" Class Widescreen LCD (W2243T)
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • FND 2.1
      • Keyboard:
      • A4-Tech ComfortKey KR-85
      • Mouse:
      • A4-Tech OP-620D USB
      • Controller:
      • Havit HV-G83
      • Power Supply:
      • Corsair VS450
      • ISP:
      • Mazeda

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    368

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fox Mulder View Post
    How can a system draw 1.5 times of it's TDP in whatever this practical use may be? Linkpack and Fur rendering at the same time perhaps, which is a very practical usage, right? And as for HD 7970's TDP, unless you are overclocking, or buying a heavily factory OC'd varaint, there's no way it is going to pull 300W unless you have set the Power tune to maximum.
    What is wrong with the idea of a system drawing more power than its TDP. TDP by no definition means its the max power drawing capacity. A system can draw more than its TDP under non ideal circumstances. Just run a power virus and see how much wattage your system eats up.

    Fine a HD 7970 won't pull 300W. What is the max value it will pull? Not the average but the max it might pull during surges.

    I have HD 7790 its TDP is 85W but at some very rare moments it was noted to have drawn about 110W. I know its an anomaly but it will happen in a systems life time.

  16. #16
    Member
    • VANGUARD's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 8700K 5.2Ghz @Corsair H115i
      • RAM:
      • Gskill Ripjaws V 3466MHz 2x8GB
      • Hard Drive:
      • Zotac SSD 480GB Premium + Seagate Barracuda 2TB
      • Graphics Card:
      • Zotac GTX 1080Ti Amp! Extreme
      • Display:
      • ASUS VX24AH, 1440p
      • Sound Card:
      • ROG SupremeFX
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • Microlab M-910/Logitech UE 200vm
      • Keyboard:
      • Corsair STRAFE-CherryRED
      • Mouse:
      • Logitech G602 @Tt Pyrrhus
      • Controller:
      • Xbox One Wireless
      • Power Supply:
      • Antec EDGE 650w
      • Optical Drive:
      • Samsung SH-224FB
      • USB Devices:
      • Everything
      • UPS:
      • Micro UVL-1500 Long Backup
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64
      • Comment:
      • The workhorse
      • ISP:
      • The Net Heads
    VANGUARD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Dhaka
    Posts
    10,098

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mazhar View Post
    I agree with your first statement, as it gets older the power delivered may reduce. This is why good PSU's are rated to be able to supply more than what they are rated for when they are new. Have a look at this VX when overloaded, even if the VS is worse it should be able to reliably supply around 400W or atleast very close to that for a few years at least.

    Secondly, I am not familiar with the power surge thing you mentioned. I know of power surges in the main electricity line which should be handled by the PSU but I have not heard of the PC itself having power surges. I have run systems which had around 50 watts in reserve power (~300W load with a 350W PSU) and have not experienced an issue. If you can link me to a reliable website/article mentioning this I will be grateful. Also, motherboard draws very little power and the other peripherals mostly draw from the 5v line. In any case, with his system the load should be around 300W with a 7970.

    To reply to your final question, albeit a rhetorical one, is because they do not want the PSU to be an issue and want a massive margin of safety just because they can. It does not mean that a VS450 will not run it, but its not a PSU review. Anyway, I believe you're thinking that i'm saying its a good practice to run a half decent 450W PSU with a >300W load. Far from it really, I always recommend more spare headroom for many factors, notably the simple fact that the ripple, noise and voltage regulation of a PSU is always better at, say, 60% than near its full load. But I simply stated that running a stock 7970 in his system will be possible but not necessarily recommended.



    Didn't you also run a PSU at the limit sometime back if I remember correctly?
    I ran MSI 660oc for 1 year, 6850 for 1 year and R9 270X for 7 months with my Tr2 380w rev 2.3. That psu currently running on @Aasifz 's pc.

    - - - Updated - - -

    TDP and actual power draw are two totally different things.

  17. #17
    Member
    • mithun12ka4's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte B75M-D3H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i3-3220
      • RAM:
      • Transend 4x2 Gb 1600Mhz
      • Hard Drive:
      • Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB, Samsung Spinpoint F3 500 GB and Seagate Barracuda 3TB
      • Graphics Card:
      • Sapphire Radeon HD 7790 OC Dual-X
      • Display:
      • LG 22" Class Widescreen LCD (W2243T)
      • Speakers/HPs:
      • FND 2.1
      • Keyboard:
      • A4-Tech ComfortKey KR-85
      • Mouse:
      • A4-Tech OP-620D USB
      • Controller:
      • Havit HV-G83
      • Power Supply:
      • Corsair VS450
      • ISP:
      • Mazeda

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    368

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mazhar View Post
    I agree with your first statement, as it gets older the power delivered may reduce. This is why good PSU's are rated to be able to supply more than what they are rated for when they are new. Have a look at this VX when overloaded, even if the VS is worse it should be able to reliably supply around 400W or atleast very close to that for a few years at least.

    Secondly, I am not familiar with the power surge thing you mentioned. I know of power surges in the main electricity line which should be handled by the PSU but I have not heard of the PC itself having power surges. I have run systems which had around 50 watts in reserve power (~300W load with a 350W PSU) and have not experienced an issue. If you can link me to a reliable website/article mentioning this I will be grateful. Also, motherboard draws very little power and the other peripherals mostly draw from the 5v line. In any case, with his system the load should be around 300W with a 7970.

    To reply to your final question, albeit a rhetorical one, is because they do not want the PSU to be an issue and want a massive margin of safety just because they can. It does not mean that a VS450 will not run it, but its not a PSU review. Anyway, I believe you're thinking that i'm saying its a good practice to run a half decent 450W PSU with a >300W load. Far from it really, I always recommend more spare headroom for many factors, notably the simple fact that the ripple, noise and voltage regulation of a PSU is always better at, say, 60% than near its full load. But I simply stated that running a stock 7970 in his system will be possible but not necessarily recommended.

    VX was 7K PSU. VS is 3.5K. So I would not put my faith on VS as much as I would on a VX.
    Last year after I bought my new system, I was a bit hyped so I used to log everything from temperature to power usage to clock speeds. When I read the logs, I discovered at very few rare occasions, my GPU whos TDP is 85W had drawn 110W for an instance. I am sure if you do the same you will see it too in time.

    I know that no one here would actually recommend VS450 for HD 7970 with i7. But inexperienced people who come here asking question doesn't know that and takes it literally. Then after few years something goes wrong. There are some of us who are cheapos. We want to buy the worst stuffs for the cheapest price and hope others will back us up by saying it is the best. While some just want to spend tons of money just to show off.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by VANGUARD View Post
    TDP and actual power draw are two totally different things.
    Exactly. But most of the people doesn't know that.

  18. #18
    Member
    • Fox Mulder's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H Rev 1.1 (Currently dead) | Intel DH55TC
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 3470 @ 3.8 Ghz (Currently not used) | intel Core i7 860 @ 3.3 GHz
      • RAM:
      • Corsair Vengeance 1600 MHz 2x4GB
      • Hard Drive:
      • Western Digital Blue 1 Terrabyte
      • Graphics Card:
      • Sapphire HD 7950 Vapor-X OC With Boost 3GB GDDR5 || Gigabyte GTX 680 Windforce 4GB
      • Display:
      • Philips 191EL 19" LED @77 Hz
      • Sound Card:
      • Creative Sound Blaster Live! 24 Bit
      • Keyboard:
      • Corsair K70 RGB
      • Mouse:
      • A4Tech 2X Click
      • Power Supply:
      • Thermaltake Smart 650W Modular
      • Optical Drive:
      • Samsung DVD Writer
      • UPS:
      • Spark Power (!) 1200VA
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Build 10162
      • Comment:
      • It gets the job done!
      • ISP:
      • BracNet
      • Download Speed:
      • 1 Mbps
      • Upload Speed:
      • 1 Mbps
    Fox Mulder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    I don't live in a city.
    Posts
    5,185

    Default

    I know what TDP is. And I can even explain this anomaly you're refering to. TDP is just a measurement of a GPU or CPU's cooling procedure, and is not indicative of it's actual power draw. There are many variables to consider when calculating a GPU's actual power draw, a lot depends on the GPU's ASIC rating, and the components being used on it, such as chokes, capacitors, mosfet, with a better build quality and sufficient cooling, a GPU can draw less than it's advertised TDP, whereas the opposite can also take place when you're using a GPU with lets say 60% ASIC rating and it's one of those budget cards with moderate build quality, and I can't discard these facts. I know for a fact, when the IGPU isn't being utilized, the Core i3 2100 won't draw more than 37W, yet it's rated TDP is 65W, isn't that strange? I am for one who isn't willing to skimp on PSU, and I have had heated debates with the members of this forum in the past over this simple argument, where other members have suggested to skimp out on the PSU, I was the one who held to the idea of going the other route. However, that's not what I'm pointing to. What I want to know is, how can the system described by the OP pull 500W, even if it is momentarily, with practical use, whatever that is? And btw....


    Corsair VS 450W Review

    I don't believe in that Newegg Tier thingy, and neither should you. Here's why^ Just because it's classified as Tier 3, doesn't necessarily mean it will output less than the advertised wattage. However, companies do cut corners and the ones that are available here may not represent what's found in the review sample.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mazhar View Post
    Secondly, I am not familiar with the power surge thing you mentioned. I know of power surges in the main electricity line which should be handled by the PSU but I have not heard of the PC itself having power surges. I have run systems which had around 50 watts in reserve power (~300W load with a 350W PSU) and have not experienced an issue. If you can link me to a reliable website/article mentioning this I will be grateful. Also, motherboard draws very little power and the other peripherals mostly draw from the 5v line. In any case, with his system the load should be around 300W with a 7970.
    I am very curious to know that as well, Mazhar bhai, that how can that PC suddenly pull 500W? Even if I do linpack on the CPU, and Scrypt mining with the GPU, with the HDD copying data from one drive to another, surely that pc isn't going to draw over 350W! And no way it can be a practical usage scenario for the average user, right?
    Last edited by Fox Mulder; November 26th, 2014 at 00:04.

  19. #19
    Member
    • Sybaris Caesar's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel DH61WW B3 Rev.
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 2400 3.10 Ghz
      • RAM:
      • Kingston KVR1333D3N9/4G 4GB DDR3 1333 Mhz
      • Hard Drive:
      • Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB 7200 RPM
      • Graphics Card:
      • Leadtek Winfast GTX 560 ti 1GB GDDR5 822/1644/4008
      • Sound Card:
      • Onboard
      • Keyboard:
      • Thermaltake Commander
      • Mouse:
      • Logitech G402
      • Controller:
      • Original Xbox 360 Wireless
      • Power Supply:
      • Cooler Master G550M
      • Optical Drive:
      • Samsung SH222 22x DVD Writer
      • UPS:
      • Orlando 800va(packet e lekha apollo)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro x64
      • Upload Speed:
      • ∞
    Sybaris Caesar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Nowy Warsaw
    Posts
    3,935

    Default

    TL;DR -__-''

    I don't know about 7970, but didn't the Ghz edition do voltage spike or something to fend off GTX 680? Wonder if other cards do that too.

  20. #20
    Member
    • Fox Mulder's Gadgets
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H Rev 1.1 (Currently dead) | Intel DH55TC
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 3470 @ 3.8 Ghz (Currently not used) | intel Core i7 860 @ 3.3 GHz
      • RAM:
      • Corsair Vengeance 1600 MHz 2x4GB
      • Hard Drive:
      • Western Digital Blue 1 Terrabyte
      • Graphics Card:
      • Sapphire HD 7950 Vapor-X OC With Boost 3GB GDDR5 || Gigabyte GTX 680 Windforce 4GB
      • Display:
      • Philips 191EL 19" LED @77 Hz
      • Sound Card:
      • Creative Sound Blaster Live! 24 Bit
      • Keyboard:
      • Corsair K70 RGB
      • Mouse:
      • A4Tech 2X Click
      • Power Supply:
      • Thermaltake Smart 650W Modular
      • Optical Drive:
      • Samsung DVD Writer
      • UPS:
      • Spark Power (!) 1200VA
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Build 10162
      • Comment:
      • It gets the job done!
      • ISP:
      • BracNet
      • Download Speed:
      • 1 Mbps
      • Upload Speed:
      • 1 Mbps
    Fox Mulder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    I don't live in a city.
    Posts
    5,185

    Default

    No. I haven't seen or heard of such a behavior from a graphics card or a pc.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Sale (Used) Corsair VS450 & Gigabyte E720
    By Nauman in forum Shop - General
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: February 23rd, 2014, 03:03
  2. Cooler Master GX550 handle those gpu
    By Street Madness in forum Others PC Hardware
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: January 5th, 2014, 09:47
  3. Sale (Used) Corsair VS450
    By Prarthik in forum Shop - General
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: November 12th, 2013, 10:41
  4. Can TT lightpower 430w handle AMD 7770 (Oc) ?
    By Devil May Cry in forum GPU
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: January 26th, 2013, 20:18
  5. Suggestion For a Good UPS to handle my RIG
    By Rakin the Devil in forum Help - General Shopping
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: February 17th, 2011, 13:53

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Page generated in 0.33695 seconds with 14 queries.