Here’s the list of new features and updates in this beta release:
- 144 achievements added
- New lifetime player stats and summary screens
- New match player stats and summary screens
- New end of round display with MVP and interesting fact about a player
- Updated scoreboard with new icons, visual style, MVP stars, and avatar pictures
- New cinematic death camera
- New domination and revenge system
- Added avatar icons to voice chat, scoreboard, and end of round display
- Incorporated many source engine updates
Valve isn’t working on the beta alone, and has called in Hidden Path Studios to help with development. Most of the new features seem to be aimed at long-time players who will relish updates such as lifetime player stats and new achievements to collect. New or returning players should also be encouraged by the introduction of the domination and revenge systems.
Basically, Counter Strike Source is now being ported to the Orange Box engine. Biggest improvement we will be seeing is multi-core rendering and greatly improved netcode. On the downside, it'll require greater bandwidth but our current servers should still be able to handle 100 tick matches.
If you would like to know more about Counter Strike Source Beta, check out these reviews at GotGames and Cadred.