I have played the first game only for half an hour and I can't judge the full game from that. But here's my review of BioShock Infinite, the sequel to the highest rated first person shooter of all time (BioShock).
The story of BioShock Infinite is simply amazing. Without any doubt its the best part of the game. The game has many jaw-dropping moments in story and plenty of twists. There are also plenty of small details to make the whole story in one place.
But for sometimes, specially when you understand the whole story, you will see the story is quite simple and the developer made it complex just for the sake of making it complex.
The artstyle of BioShock Infinite is beyond amazing. Columbia, the floating city in the sky is very well made. The artstyle reminds me a lot about Prince of Persia 2008 and Dishonored.
The game is quite good as a PC port and the optimization is okay. But FPS drops suddenly without any reason.
Soundtrack of BioShock Infinite is very poor too. They put a million dollars to make this game and the whole game they put only one track for combat? This is very lame to be honest.
But the in-game environments sound, phonographs and the sound of the surroundings feels like its really from 1912. Very good work with in-game environment sounds.
Gameplay of BioShock Infinite is good, but not in all areas. Using the sky-line is fun. So does jumping from one hook to another just like Batman in the Arkham games. Game control is Okay just like most other FPS titles.
Purchasing items is a nice additions. Would have been better with a inventory system so we could carry the medi-packs and other stuffs. Its not a bad thing but it could have come in handy. The use of Gears aren't handy. The Vigors are very useful though.
Gameplay feature that Elizabeth can't let you die just like from Prince of Persia 2008 is quite nice, even when regaining control, it takes away some money. Though it become so addicted that during her absence from the game, you will feel her absence very much.
The exploration could have been much broader with more open hubs. It feels like restricted very often. Also teleporting from one area to another with a tear whenever you want feature would have been great.
The story presentation is nice and very unique. Without spoiling anything, the story and the world interruptions was very good. The game start loading in the middle of nowhere, like from moving one room to another even during combat it started to load for 3/4 seconds.
One of the best aspect of presentation of BioShock Infinite is Elizabeth. She is so lovely and living. Its amazing how all the voice actor, performance capture and model work for Elizabeth to give her a life that is very remembering.
While all the other NPC's are almost irrelevant, the Lutece twins are wonderful addition to the game and very fun to deal with
Check out the following videos of Elizabeth, how living and beautiful she is:
No in-game statistics? What is that? There isn't a single figure inside the game that can show you how much you completed the game! This is just ridiculous. I can't imagine when the last time I played a game which doesn't show it.
With a statistic, it would add much more interest for a second time play-through, which only makes because of the 1999 difficulty mode for now.
- Story is very good. That's the thing that telling me to keep playing the game most.
- Good graphics, specially the art-style is amazing.
- The Level Designing is beyond amazing. Love the city in the sky, Columbia.
- Using Sky-Line is fun. Also jumping from one hook to other like in Arkham games.
- Good presentation of the game.
- Quite good PC port, even though FPS drops suddenly without any reason.
- Elizabeth is very cute and lovely to watch her around, she's a great companion.
- Combat is too ordinary and uninteresting. Expected a much better gameplay.
- The game start loading in the middle of nowhere, like from moving one room to another even during combat it started to load for 3/4 seconds.
- Bad enemy AI and they aren't fun to fight with. They are just like red enemies and blue enemies.
- Exploration is very limited. Feeling like trapped in a place where it could be easily more broader.
- Elizabeth in the middle of my combat and no bullet can touch her even when she is at the middle of me and the enemy! WTH is that!!
- No in-game statistics. No map.
- Bad use of Gears, they could have been use in much better way, and with more relevance in the game.
BioShock Infinite is a good game. But from the review scores it gets, I say its the most overrated video games of all time. The game is nowhere near what it being said by the press. With the reviews, they showed how biased game reviews can be.
The game would have been great if the gameplay, sound design matches with the greatness of story and few extra stuffs added. Still, for the amazing story, awesome artstyle and to take a tour to the city in the sky, BioShock Infinite is worth giving a shot.
My Review Scores:
Lasting Appeal: 7.9/10