Crystal Dynamics finally unveiled the full system requirements for Tomb Raider alongside PC enhancements and some frequently asked questions.
The PC version of Tomb Raider has been developed in tandem between Crystal Dynamics and long-time partner Nixxes, and we’re proud to be continuing this tradition. The relationship has spanned over a dozen PC titles, and dates back fifteen years. The PC edition also has the benefits of an ongoing partnership with AMD, with Tomb Raider extensively optimized to include unique AMD tech that supports AMD HD3D, AMD Eyefinity for capable PCs, and more.
So here it is – the full list of PC enhancements and features for Tomb Raider, including minimum and recommended system requirements!
Minimum system requirements for PC
- Windows XP Service Pack 3, Windows Vista,7,8 (32bit/64bit)
- DirectX 9 graphics card with 512Mb Video RAM:*AMD Radeon HD 2600 XT, nVidia 8600
- Dual core CPU: AMD Athlon64 X2*2.1 Ghz (4050+), Intel Core2 Duo 1.86 Ghz (E6300)
- 1GB Memory (2GB on Vista)*
Recommended system requirements for PC
- Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8
- DirectX 11 graphics card with 1GB Video RAM: AMD Radeon HD 5870, nVidia GTX 480
- Quad core CPU: AMD Phenom II X2*565, Intel Core i5-750
- 4GB Memory*
- Full integration with Steamworks to offer cloud storage for saves, multiplayer matchmaking, achievements, as well as automatic updates and new content.
- Support for Steam Big Picture Mode.
- Configurable mouse and keyboard support.
- Gamepad support.*
- Very high resolution textures with up to 16x the amount of data
- Detail Tessellation to enhance the detail on many surfaces in the game
- Higher quality shadows
- High quality bokeh depth of field with near-blur
- Tessellation algorithms used to smooth out geometry
- Improved cloth, SSAO, quality wetness effects, and post-filter effects.
- LOD quality is adjustable for better quality on higher-end machines.*
- Crystal cares about TR fans being able to run on older systems, unlike many other games they still support Windows XP.
- A lot of scalability options to suit a range of machines.*
Chances are if you’re a PC buff, you’ve still got a handful of questions. In anticipation of some of the more common queries, we’ve tracked down the Director of Nixxes, Jurjen Katsman. Take a read through our Q&A below.
Q: Does Tomb Raider support Windows XP, Vista, 7, or 8?
“We felt it was important for all the Tomb Raider fans to be able to play the game, so we tried to keep our OS support as wide as possible. So unlike some other recent games we do still run on Windows XP as well as on Windows Vista, Windows 7, as well as Windows 8. We are not Windows 8 Certified, which is a Microsoft label they use on their store. However, we do test extensively on Windows 8 and are making sure Windows 8 users get a great game experience.”
Q: Is Tomb Raider a Steamworks title?
“Yes, Tomb Raider uses Steamworks for achievements, Steam Cloud save games, multiplayer match making, as well as leaderboards.”
Q: Will Tomb Raider support Steam offline mode?
“Yes, the game will definitely run in offline mode. However, you will obviously not be able to participate in multiplayer games in this mode.”
Q: If I purchase a boxed copy of Tomb Raider, does that mean I’ll still be able to play it using Steam?
“Every copy of Tomb Raider will integrate with Steam and use the Steamworks features; it does not matter where you bought it.”
Q: Will the game require the disc to be in the computer or is it able to directly download from Steam?
“Yes, when you buy the game in a store you will get a CD-Key for Steam. Just entering this code on your Steam account will allow you to download the game, so you do not necessarily need the disk. The disk is just there so you do not have to download all that data.”
Q: Will there be any DRM?
“We do not believe in strong anti-consumer DRM methods, so apart from the game using Steamworks and it having to be authenticated with your Steam account there is no additional DRM.”
Q: Does the game support 120 hertz?
“On hardware that supports this it certainly will. We do not restrict what refresh rate or frame-rate the game will run at, it will run at whatever frame-rate and refresh rate your hardware will be capable of performance wise.”
Q: What are your plans for widescreen in Tomb Raider?
“We support AMD Eyefinity as well as NVIDIA Surround to allow you to connect multiple screens and create very wide displays.”