• Microsoft Surface Pricing Revealed



    Microsoft's Surface website has finally unveiled the prices for their hotly anticipated tablet, and it turns out the base model will start at $499, coming with 32 GB of storage and no Touch Cover. The model up will cost $599 and includes the Touch Cover, normally valued at $119 so you do save some cash. The final model costing $699 bumps the storage to 64 GB and includes the same Touch Cover as the 32 GB model.

    Additionally, you can purchase a Surface Type Cover, the one that includes the physically-keyed keyboard as opposed to the touch-keyed Touch Cover, for $129.99. Out of the options available it seems possible to by a 32 GB Surface with a Type Cover, but if you want a 64 GB model you'll end up with a Type and Touch Cover.

    Interestingly, storage-for-storage the Surface is $100 cheaper than the equivalent third-generation iPad; the 32 GB model costs $599 from the Apple store.

    The Surface specs listed by Microsoft include a 10.6-inch ClearType HD display at 1336 x 768, 2 GB of RAM, two 720p HD cameras on the front and back, a full-sized USB 2.0 port, microSDXC card reader and the VaporMg aluminium-magnesium alloy body. The chipset inside is a NVIDIA Tegra 3 T30, indicating a 1.4 GHz ARM Cortex-A9 quad-core CPU and a 520 MHz 12-core ULP GeForce GPU - this is the same chipset as inside the Transformer Prime and HTC One X.

    Naturally, the Surface launches with Windows RT installed, plus the Microsoft Office Home and Student 2013 RT Preview. In the fine-print you can see the Preview version of Office will be upgraded through Windows Update at a later date, free of charge.

    According to the site Microsoft will have your Surface delivered by the official launch of October 26th, so there is a good chance you'll have your tablet in your hands on launch day. Apart from orders through the website, you should be able to also pick up a Surface from Microsoft pop-up holiday stores in locations throughout North America, as well as permanent Microsoft Stores.

    Source: Neowin.
    Comments 22 Comments
    1. Muhammad Zunaid's Avatar
      Muhammad Zunaid -
      i feel the price is a bit high... considering the display resolution but only since the above article makes comparison with ipad 3... its wonderful that even after 32GB and 64GB there is still mircoSDXC slot... what needs to be seen is how optimized windows RT is with the avaibable hardware... ipad 3 seems to cope with its 1gb ram quite well... lets see if 2gb ram helps the RT.
      i have no doubt that the build quality will be superb as its mircosoft's own baby... nowadays, hardware specs doesnt say much... its the balanced interplay between hardware and software that counts...
      also what interests me is how the overall ecosystem will work with windows 8, surface RT and xbox 720 [ and if any music player is in store ] cause everyone has a windows desktop... so naturally the surface would be a obvious tab choice for sync and other advantage IF and only if it can it can match and outperform the competition though.... so really have to wait to see a hands on review abt the RT operating system and how the hardware plays with the software..
    1. CvP's Avatar
      CvP -
      RT runes super smooth even in 1GB ram.

      As for the resolution, I agree it is a bit low but it is not bad when you consider all other advantages.
    1. aayman's Avatar
      aayman -
      Yea I don't like the price either, maybe it was full Windows 8 instead of RT. 1080p display would've been great, Retina isn't necessary if it starts to affect performance.

      Battery life tests and app compatibility will be interesting.
    1. CvP's Avatar
      CvP -
      Quote Originally Posted by aayman View Post
      Battery life tests and app compatibility will be interesting.
      Waiting for this before I order mine

      I'd be happy with 10 hours of normal usage (as in browsing).
    1. redprince's Avatar
      redprince -
      I like windows 8 metro style , price is good comparing Ipad
    1. Tom@L's Avatar
      [email protected] -
      microsoft will pay the price by pricing it too high
    1. anik_lc's Avatar
      anik_lc -
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      microsoft will pay the price by pricing it too high
      lol well said.
    1. Muhammad Zunaid's Avatar
      Muhammad Zunaid -
      yes.. battery life is extremely important with mobile devices... i mean i read somewhere that microsoft is sinking 1.5 billion in advertising the windows 8... i think if half of that money was spent researching battery life[i am sure they are doing that in the R&D] it would have been money well spent... or maybe as conspiracy theorists would say " they are holding off that tech for future advertisement and release"... who knows right...
      and as far as apps goes... i hope that most windows based software will have a "app" version like chrome app or vlc and all the windows favorites and etc etc.. cause thats the thing that excites me the most... compatibility with current windows.... woohooo... and the pro would cost too much... but have anyone seen the ultrabook prices... i mean some of them start at 499 USD... thats freaking incredible and 799 USD gets u very nice touch enabled ultrabooks with ULV core i processors.. thats amazing and some of the brands are really working with the form factor of these ultrabooks.. i mean they twist, they turn, they flip, they rotate... its like crazy.... waiting for ultrabooks as eagerly as the windows surface here...
    1. avas911's Avatar
      avas911 -
      Let me be clear about something. Which I did before

      Windows RT and x86 devices are not the same.
      And you can not install and run normal windows apps on Surface. And RT apps on x86
      Every software has to be coded and compiled for ARM to run on this device.

      Also the bootloader will be locked like iPad. Will not allow you to tinker or update or hack the OS. Does not mean hackers will not eventually hack it.

      And about syncing and stuff. if you have not used a windows mobile 7 device, than you dont know. Its not that great. And win mo 7 devices did not have a user accessible file system either. And think about Linux or MAC users. Also requires the zune soft to transfer and encode/decode audio/video.
      Really sucks. hoping Win 8 RT fixes these.

      Android tabs has a proper file system and MTP/UMS. which makes them better in every way.

      About apps. iPad is the king and will be the king in the near future. Win 8 RT will not be better compared to iPad or a typical Android tablet.
      Let alone compared to a high end android like Transformer Pad Infinity. There is almost no good apps for win 8. except maybe office rt. which will not be free.

      The ones running x86 windows and proper x86 hardware will be the ones that will sell and work really well. but expect ultrabook pricing for them.

      - - - Updated - - -

      One more thing. Forget about installing hacked or copied apps to this devices without some kind of jailbreak or hack.

      For majority people in this country who does not have a international internet usable credit card this would be bad. as you have to use cards to buy apps
    1. CvP's Avatar
      CvP -
      Avas, the amount of misinformation in your post is not even funny.
    1. faisal.amir.bd's Avatar
      faisal.amir.bd -
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      microsoft will pay the price by pricing it too high
      Khub ekta high bola jay na. GB for GB, it's actually cheaper than the iPad. But having said that, the entry level cost of entry still remains high.

      The regular Surface (non-pro) does little to excite me. It's the surface pro that should be a game changer and introduce tablets that are true fascimiles of the laptop and desktop experience.
    1. Muhammad Zunaid's Avatar
      Muhammad Zunaid -
      Quote Originally Posted by CvP View Post
      Avas, the amount of misinformation in your post is not even funny.
      are you serious or are u just joking cause i was kinda shocked to read @avas911 post... i mean i thought the windows 8 and windows RT are supposed to share some basic coding or sth which significantly increases the compatibility issues faced b4, right... and windows without crack isnt for everyone. and windows wishes to please everyone so i am betting on the fact the windows will be cracked.... like windows 7 [proper crack]
    1. Tom@L's Avatar
      [email protected] -
      Quote Originally Posted by faisal.amir.bd View Post
      Khub ekta high bola jay na. GB for GB, it's actually cheaper than the iPad. But having said that, the entry level cost of entry still remains high.

      The regular Surface (non-pro) does little to excite me. It's the surface pro that should be a game changer and introduce tablets that are true fascimiles of the laptop and desktop experience.
      dost iPad er ja market share, Microsoft jodi oder moton pricing kore taile hobe na. Even Android could not dent into tablet market share properly with their $200 nexus and kindle fire and Microsoft is just totally new.
    1. faisal.amir.bd's Avatar
      faisal.amir.bd -
      Yeah it will be an uphill climb with both new hardware and software, but I'm rooting for them. If they can gain a large market share it will force Apple to get off their complacent asses and start innovating again.
    1. aayman's Avatar
      aayman -
      Quote Originally Posted by Tom[email protected] View Post
      dost iPad er ja market share, Microsoft jodi oder moton pricing kore taile hobe na. Even Android could not dent into tablet market share properly with their $200 nexus and kindle fire and Microsoft is just totally new.
      Long term user reviews of the Nexus mostly claim that they are disappointed with the 7. The price alone garnered that much attention, but in the long run the iPad is still dominant.

      Everyone and their mother is coming out with a tablet now, even Best Buy is set to release one for $240-260. The amount of tablets out there right now is quite frankly annoying. At least Amazon is keeping things under control, more OEMs need to be like them if you ask me.

      Edit: Btw I think developers are now required to make an RT version of their app as well if they want to put it in the App Marketplace. Not exactly sure on this + I don't know how well the ports will run.
    1. Tom@L's Avatar
      [email protected] -
      Quote Originally Posted by faisal.amir.bd View Post
      Yeah it will be an uphill climb with both new hardware and software, but I'm rooting for them. If they can gain a large market share it will force Apple to get off their complacent asses and start innovating again.
      dost no way Apple will start innovating. Because next week, Apple is launching iPad Mini and now Apple will dominate both upper and lower end market share.

      - - - Updated - - -

      Quote Originally Posted by aayman View Post
      Long term user reviews of the Nexus mostly claim that they are disappointed with the 7. The price alone garnered that much attention, but in the long run the iPad is still dominant.

      Everyone and their mother is coming out with a tablet now, even Best Buy is set to release one for $240-260. The amount of tablets out there right now is quite frankly annoying. At least Amazon is keeping things under control, more OEMs need to be like them if you ask me.

      Edit: Btw I think developers are now required to make an RT version of their app as well if they want to put it in the App Marketplace. Not exactly sure on this + I don't know how well the ports will run.
      I think in the short run, iPad will remain dominant. Not in the long run though. But it will take a long time. Tablet users tend to be family people who buy these for entire use for their family or just usage by students in classroom and the simplicity of iOS really attracts them, unlike the mobile phones segment.
    1. avas911's Avatar
      avas911 -
      Quote Originally Posted by CvP View Post
      Avas, the amount of misinformation in your post is not even funny.
      Can you pls point them out and explain a bit.

      This is my personal opinion.
    1. CvP's Avatar
      CvP -
      Quote Originally Posted by avas911 View Post
      Windows RT and x86 devices are not the same.
      And you can not install and run normal windows apps on Surface. And RT apps on x86
      Every software has to be coded and compiled for ARM to run on this device.
      Let's get some definitions correct first:
      Windows RT can run on ARM/x86/x64 machines.
      Windows 8 can only run on x86/x64 (I'll just say x86 for simplicity).
      WinRT is the core of windows (RT and 8).
      Win32 is the core of windows 7.
      Windows 8 contains WinRT (as primary) and Win32 (additional).

      "Normal" windows apps (applications) that we are used to are x86 apps.
      Metro Apps or WinRT Apps are the new ones that are complied against WinRT (it has no relation with ARM).

      Any software written for new windows core (WinRT) will run on x86, ARM and any future platform WinRT is ported to.

      Quote Originally Posted by avas911 View Post
      Also the bootloader will be locked like iPad. Will not allow you to tinker or update or hack the OS. Does not mean hackers will not eventually hack it.
      Bootloader will be locked and rightly so. You can get developer editions with unlocked bootloader/sideloading apps.

      Quote Originally Posted by avas911 View Post
      And about syncing and stuff. if you have not used a windows mobile 7 device, than you dont know. Its not that great. And win mo 7 devices did not have a user accessible file system either. And think about Linux or MAC users. Also requires the zune soft to transfer and encode/decode audio/video.
      Really sucks. hoping Win 8 RT fixes these.
      Have you used windows 8? It syncs seamlessly. Windows RT is the same. You don't even need to configure anything.
      What is there to transfer? You transfer songs/video from PC to something else. Surface is a PC.

      Quote Originally Posted by avas911 View Post
      Android tabs has a proper file system and MTP/UMS. which makes them better in every way.
      NTFS is more of a proper file system than those, right? "Windows Explorer" (iirc, renamed to File Explorer), desktop, control panel, Internet Explorer (with Flash)...all are there present in Windows RT.

      Quote Originally Posted by avas911 View Post
      About apps. iPad is the king and will be the king in the near future. Win 8 RT will not be better compared to iPad or a typical Android tablet.
      Let alone compared to a high end android like Transformer Pad Infinity. There is almost no good apps for win 8. except maybe office rt. which will not be free.
      First, yes, iPad's app ecosystem is rich. Same can not be said about Android tablet (android phones are a different story).
      Secondly, if you think Windows RT will have any shortage of apps, you are not thinking right. It is a new platform, has not been released yet. But by the end of 2012, there will be atleast 100M computers running Windows 8/RT. By 2013, more than 500M computers will be running Windows 8/RT. Just to compare, Apple is expected to ship ~45M iPads in all 2012.
      If you honestly think, developers will ignore this massive market...

      Finally, Office RT* is included with *all* Windows RT licenses. This means, you get Office RT for free with Surface or any other Windows RT tablet (Samsung, Asus etc).

      *Fancy name. Almost same as Office home/student edition.


      Quote Originally Posted by avas911 View Post
      The ones running x86 windows and proper x86 hardware will be the ones that will sell and work really well. but expect ultrabook pricing for them.
      Depends. For me/you/most people in here, yes, that's what we want. For your mom? my aunt? Windows RT is mostly sufficient.

      Quote Originally Posted by aayman View Post
      Edit: Btw I think developers are now required to make an RT version of their app as well if they want to put it in the App Marketplace. Not exactly sure on this + I don't know how well the ports will run.
      No. There is nothing to recompile. Once compiled for WinRT, runs on any version.

      I think last I saw, the store had just over 5k apps. Microsoft expects this to hit 100k within next 3/4 months. 100k within such sort time seems too optimistic but then again, only they know how many apps are in development/submission channel.

      - - - Updated - - -

      Some other info about Windows RT:
      - almost all printers made in recent years will work without drives
      - almost all (if not all) keyboard/mice/gamepads will work
      - SD cards will work just like the way they work in Windows 7
      - supports external monitor (more than one if the hardware supports it)

      Surface specific:
      - Dual band wifi for best reception possible
      - Initial blind tests show the screen quality is on par or better than iPad 3 in well-lit environment. I'm sure iPad 3 will win out in low light envirionment.
      - Best optical bonded screen among all current tablets
      - Can be used as a skateboard =,="

      - - - Updated - - -

      Forgot to add the most important thing (from gamers' perspective):
      - Full DirectX support.
      (Unreal Engine 3 is already ported and it is the full PC version one. Not a crippled port unlike iPad version)
    1. Muhammad Zunaid's Avatar
      Muhammad Zunaid -
      @CvP where is the darn +1 button... nicely said.... i thought as much but never really researched into windows 8 and windows RT as OS comparisons and stuff... so yeah... windows seems to have a winning formula here... the eco system is really coming together... i just hope they are not the bad guys, i.e apple were actually keeping MS in check for all these years...
      like for example, i dont mind intel being in the lead ahead of AMD for all these years.. yeah i feel bad for AMD but Intel never disappoints... it keeps on bringing new tech and dominates the market like a good leader..... but if MS is in lead in their respective market, i just hope they stay the way they are: loyal to the consumers and bringing good new products etc etc... i just love the fact how their software gets cracked... i mean half the xbox 360 sold in bd was solely due to the fact that it was modded and games could be bought for 200-250 bucks instead of their 3500-4500 price... thats retarded... we need sth like india has with their EA origin service.. but hey, yeah for Windows
    1. CvP's Avatar
      CvP -
      Quote Originally Posted by zunaid View Post
      @CvP where is the darn +1 button... nicely said.... i thought as much but never really researched into windows 8 and windows RT as OS comparisons and stuff... so yeah... windows seems to have a winning formula here... the eco system is really coming together... i just hope they are not the bad guys, i.e apple were actually keeping MS in check for all these years...
      like for example, i dont mind intel being in the lead ahead of AMD for all these years.. yeah i feel bad for AMD but Intel never disappoints... it keeps on bringing new tech and dominates the market like a good leader..... but if MS is in lead in their respective market, i just hope they stay the way they are: loyal to the consumers and bringing good new products etc etc... i just love the fact how their software gets cracked... i mean half the xbox 360 sold in bd was solely due to the fact that it was modded and games could be bought for 200-250 bucks instead of their 3500-4500 price... thats retarded... we need sth like india has with their EA origin service.. but hey, yeah for Windows

      The green "up" button at bottom right is that +1 button.

      I don't think MS has the luxury of doing that. No company can rule the market in near future. Not apple, not google, not Microsoft. They all will leap frog each other for a long time.
Page generated in 0.51740 seconds with 61 queries.